Middle of the D

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Raji and Guion coming back I don´t think a rookie NT would get a lot of playing time, especially early in the season. I´m not opposed to draft one early if the player presents great value as Raji and Guion will be UFAs again in 2016 but I wouldn´t expect a lot of production in year one.

Thompson has to upgrade the ILB position in the draft. It would be shocking if he doesn´t add at least two prospects there. The Packers could get by with the current group at NT for another season.

This is a notoriously weak ILB group with possibly none carrying a first round grade. The impact ILB might not be there this year. The Packers might be drafted another "guy" who plays as well as Brad Jones or AJ Hawk.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a notoriously weak ILB group with possibly none carrying a first round grade. The impact ILB might not be there this year. The Packers might be drafted another "guy" who plays as well as Brad Jones or AJ Hawk.
I will concede that top to bottom this maybe isn't the stoutest of ILB drafts but I love Kendricks in the first and don't seem to be alone in that thinking...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...cks-is-an-instant-impact-player-at-next-level

Also found this little snidbit from Bob Sturm who is a writer for The Dallas Morning News and co-host of a sports radio show...

Question: What do you think of taking Kendricks in the 1st rd if he’s there? I know they have Lee and McClain back but you can never have enough good LB’s and you aren’t drafting for just one year. I think this kid is going to be a heck of a player.

Bob Sturm: I would be thrilled. Kendricks is a tremendous player who I think is the top non-pass rush LB in the draft. If he is your highest pick at #27, I would not mind that player at all. He is a legit prospect for sure who excels with his speed and tackling ability.

I have been beating the drum on this kid just as WIMM has and hope TT grabs him if he's there. This kid is a 3 down backer with the ability to be a big-time player in relatively short order. Overall depth may be a touch sparse but I think EK is a slam dunk first round backer (or as close as you can be) and hope like hell he's wearing G and G in short order...G P G!

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check out the game-tape of EK vs. Virginia. He isn't perfect by any means but the kid makes plays on both sides of the ball and had a pick 6 and a fumble forced that lead to a return TD. Time after time I see him take the proper angle when making the tackle. He cancelled out a few receiving options be it TE or RB by using his quickness to get in a position to not allow the throw to even be made. He seems to bite a touch on PA but what kid doesn't and even pro's fall for a good PA many times. My point is this kid is a player and has great bloodlines to boot. I hope some of you get a chance to check out his tape and if/when his name is called in 2 weeks join WIMM and I in welcoming a stabilizing force in the middle of the D for years to come!!! I love this kid and I can't say it enough. If he's there at 30, please pull the trigger Teddy...please!

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/eric-kendricks-vs-virginia-2014/

D

Deleted member 6794

There aren't a lot of ILBs available fitting the Packers needs but Kendricks and to a lesser degree Anthony would improve a position in dire need of an upgrade.

I don't think Thompson feels the same way than you about this draft's ILB group because otherwise he would have (hopefully) addressed the position in free agency by now.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With just another DL or OLB on the field though.
Well, no. In this instance you'd be able to rush four, say...Raji (hopefully), Jones, Daniels and Peppers or Perry. Matthews and whichever of Peppers or Perry doesn't have his hand in the dirt would be the stand up linebackers. Would give the defense a bunch of options to rush the QB and would give the offense fits.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's really going to happen...No ILB in this class is worth a first rounder but there are a bunch of guys worth seconds. Green Bay trades down from first and takes EK, Anthony,Dawson, etc with their high pick in the second.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, no. In this instance you'd be able to rush four, say...Raji (hopefully), Jones, Daniels and Peppers or Perry. Matthews and whichever of Peppers or Perry doesn't have his hand in the dirt would be the stand up linebackers. Would give the defense a bunch of options to rush the QB and would give the offense fits.

I can´t remember a single play from last season in which the Packers used a formation with six DL/OLB on the field.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can´t remember a single play from last season in which the Packers used a formation with six DL/OLB on the field.

Well, such a formation would probably have required Hawk in the game and what dline would the Packers have had rushing the passer? Also, such a formation would be four dline and two linebackers since you'd have Perry or Peppers with their hand on the ground.

I'm not saying it's something to be used often but whether they use it or not, if you draft an ILB in the first, then, on third down, he has to replace Peppers or Matthews at linebacker if you're only using two linebackers and if you go three linebackers then he'll be on the field over Daniels, Jones, Guion or the "new-and-improved-because-he-moved-two-feet-to-the-right" Raji (i'm assuming Neal is only an backup at this point). With Kendricks especially since his strength is coverage, not blitzing or run-stopping. He'll be a good player but the Packers' issues are more against the run than against the pass. I know everyone remembers the pass plays given up by the ILBs because those are flashy and easy to remember. It's not as easy to remember all 20+ rushes averaging 5+ yards per carry the Packers' run defense gives up in a game. The team has to stop the run before the linebackers even have to worry about covering guys downfield.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will concede that top to bottom this maybe isn't the stoutest of ILB drafts but I love Kendricks in the first and don't seem to be alone in that thinking...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...cks-is-an-instant-impact-player-at-next-level

Also found this little snidbit from Bob Sturm who is a writer for The Dallas Morning News and co-host of a sports radio show...

Question: What do you think of taking Kendricks in the 1st rd if he’s there? I know they have Lee and McClain back but you can never have enough good LB’s and you aren’t drafting for just one year. I think this kid is going to be a heck of a player.

Bob Sturm: I would be thrilled. Kendricks is a tremendous player who I think is the top non-pass rush LB in the draft. If he is your highest pick at #27, I would not mind that player at all. He is a legit prospect for sure who excels with his speed and tackling ability.

I have been beating the drum on this kid just as WIMM has and hope TT grabs him if he's there. This kid is a 3 down backer with the ability to be a big-time player in relatively short order. Overall depth may be a touch sparse but I think EK is a slam dunk first round backer (or as close as you can be) and hope like hell he's wearing G and G in short order...G P G!

Kendricks is more of a third down linebacker at this point. He's good in coverage but not so great against the run.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, such a formation would probably have required Hawk in the game and what dline would the Packers have had rushing the passer? Also, such a formation would be four dline and two linebackers since you'd have Perry or Peppers with their hand on the ground.

I'm not saying it's something to be used often but whether they use it or not, if you draft an ILB in the first, then, on third down, he has to replace Peppers or Matthews at linebacker if you're only using two linebackers and if you go three linebackers then he'll be on the field over Daniels, Jones, Guion or the "new-and-improved-because-he-moved-two-feet-to-the-right" Raji (i'm assuming Neal is only an backup at this point).

Mostly Capers has used three defensive linemen only in the base defense while only using two in sub packages. Aside of in the dime scheme the Packers have lined up two ILBs on every single down, so neither Kendricks nor any other inside backer would replace Matthews or Peppers on third down.

With Kendricks especially since his strength is coverage, not blitzing or run-stopping. He'll be a good player but the Packers' issues are more against the run than against the pass. I know everyone remembers the pass plays given up by the ILBs because those are flashy and easy to remember. It's not as easy to remember all 20+ rushes averaging 5+ yards per carry the Packers' run defense gives up in a game. The team has to stop the run before the linebackers even have to worry about covering guys downfield.

The Packers ranked 24th in receiving yards allowed to RBs and TEs last season. Kendricks is a three down ILB who can help in coverage but is capable of defending the run effectively as well. He won't make a ton of jarring hit but is a sure tackler. There's no denying he should improve his pass rushing skills.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There aren't a lot of ILBs available fitting the Packers needs but Kendricks and to a lesser degree Anthony would improve a position in dire need of an upgrade.

I don't think Thompson feels the same way than you about this draft's ILB group because otherwise he would have (hopefully) addressed the position in free agency by now.

I don't know how TT feels about the ILBs in the draft, but the draft reports have no inside linebackers with a first round grade. At this time, it does not look like there is a stub ILB in the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know how TT feels about the ILBs in the draft, but the draft reports have no inside linebackers with a first round grade. At this time, it does not look like there is a stub ILB in the draft.

I don't care a lot about draft reports, Kendricks would be a huge upgrade at the only position the Packers are in dire need of improving. If Thompson has to select him in the first round to get him I'm absolutely fine with it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's very possible there won't be a player available with a first round grade at any position when the Packers pick at #30. For example, in the much discussed 2005 draft Brandt has said they only had about 20 players with a first round grade. Of course it varies from year to year but my guess is rarely are there 30 with first round grades.

VAPackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all like Clay inside, but playing inside and outside takes it's toll. Could he truly go a full 16 games plus the playoffs and still be the same player? I think we already have our answer from the NFCC game. He wasn't able to go at the end because he was gassed and injured. Since they go hand in hand you have to question his impact at ILB vs his impact at OLB. He makes a more noticeable impact at ILB because of the level of play there, but he makes a bigger impact at OLB because of the position and it's importance to the defense. He's an elite LB that could play ILB+OLB at an elite level, but ILB is not a premium position.

My hope is that they continue to move him around because it makes the defense more dynamic, but also that they find another player with attributes like his. It's why I favor Benardrick McKinney in the draft. I believe he has the skills and athleticism to play LB in this defense the way Matthews does. He's already a fair cover guy, and just needs to develop some pass rushing skills. Since they begin training LBs in this system at OLB before ILB McKinney would definitely flourish. Peppers already showed what a big man, who can move in space, can do for this defense.

The non signing of an ILB means they like what they have on the roster and could get through the draft. I don't think Clay factors into the decision because him playing ILB is already part of the plan.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care a lot about draft reports, Kendricks would be a huge upgrade at the only position the Packers are in dire need of improving. If Thompson has to select him in the first round to get him I'm absolutely fine with it.

TT has never drafted for need, he drafts best available player. It appears from everything being written that the best player available will not be an inside linebacker. My money would be on a CORNERback.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

We all like Clay inside, but playing inside and outside takes it's toll. Could he truly go a full 16 games plus the playoffs and still be the same player? I think we already have our answer from the NFCC game. He wasn't able to go at the end because he was gassed and injured. Since they go hand in hand you have to question his impact at ILB vs his impact at OLB. He makes a more noticeable impact at ILB because of the level of play there, but he makes a bigger impact at OLB because of the position and it's importance to the defense. He's an elite LB that could play ILB+OLB at an elite level, but ILB is not a premium position.

My hope is that they continue to move him around because it makes the defense more dynamic, but also that they find another player with attributes like his. It's why I favor Benardrick McKinney in the draft. I believe he has the skills and athleticism to play LB in this defense the way Matthews does. He's already a fair cover guy, and just needs to develop some pass rushing skills. Since they begin training LBs in this system at OLB before ILB McKinney would definitely flourish. Peppers already showed what a big man, who can move in space, can do for this defense.

The non signing of an ILB means they like what they have on the roster and could get through the draft. I don't think Clay factors into the decision because him playing ILB is already part of the plan.

I don't agree that McKinney is decent cover guy. He looks stiff when asked to cover in space and gives away too much separation to routes in his area in zone coverage.

D

Deleted member 6794

TT has never drafted for need, he drafts best available player. It appears from everything being written that the best player available will not be an inside linebacker. My money would be on a quarterback.

Every GM in the league factors position of need into a pick. All fans thinking differently have obviously not followed the draft closely.

H

HardRightEdge

It's very possible there won't be a player available with a first round grade at any position when the Packers pick at #30. For example, in the much discussed 2005 draft Brandt has said they only had about 20 players with a first round grade. Of course it varies from year to year but my guess is rarely are there 30 with first round grades.
Right. What is a "first round grade" anyway? #30 is a far cry from #1 - #10, and a lot closer to #50 than #10 in terms of talent. 20 - 50 represents a reasonable tranche, with variability by position, need and scheme fit.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kendricks is more of a third down linebacker at this point. He's good in coverage but not so great against the run.
Completely disagree as do most pundits. This kid has all the makings of a 3 down backer and has produced at a high level at a high D1 level for years now. We will just agree to completely disagree on this one and there's nothing wrong with that at all. G P G!

BTW I checked another site even beyond the couple I referenced yesterday and came across this gem I posted below. If he ends up being near Bobby Wagner I think we will all be happy. This is from CBS sports as well, not some gutter website...the evidence against your argument is piling up my friend!! : ) Enjoy....

Compares To: Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks -- Too small for some schemes but Kendricks' instincts, physicality and improved awareness in coverage make him a true three-down defender with the potential to earn Pro Bowl recognition in the right defense.

--Dane Brugler & Rob Rang

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This too...

UCLA LB Eric Kendricks made his debut on Todd McShay's Big Board at No. 29 overall.
"He lacks ideal size and power for the position, but he displays excellent instincts and awareness, very good range against the run and above-average tackling skills," McShay wrote. "He is also very good on third down, with easy movement skills, good ball skills and playmaking ability." McShay is coming around to Rotoworld's side on the Kendricks debate. We've long been smitten with the ultra-productive linebacker. Kendricks (6-foot 1/8, 235 pounds) posted a 4.61 40-yard dash, 38-inch vertical and 10-feet-4 broad jump at the combine. Apr 14 - 8:37 AM
Source: ESPN Insider

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely disagree as do most pundits. This kid has all the makings of a 3 down backer and has produced at a high level at a high D1 level for years now. We will just agree to completely disagree on this one and there's nothing wrong with that at all. G P G!

BTW I checked another site even beyond the couple I referenced yesterday and came across this gem I posted below. If he ends up being near Bobby Wagner I think we will all be happy. This is from CBS sports as well, not some gutter website...the evidence against your argument is piling up my friend!! : ) Enjoy....

Compares To: Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks -- Too small for some schemes but Kendricks' instincts, physicality and improved awareness in coverage make him a true three-down defender with the potential to earn Pro Bowl recognition in the right defense.

--Dane Brugler & Rob Rang

ESPN - Lacks ideal size and power... Can do a better job of taking on blocks with proper shoulder positioning and with more consistency to maintain gap integrity....

Pro Football Focus - Kendricks’ skillset is more heavily weighted toward coverage...wasn’t quite as good from an overall grading standpoint, finishing as the sixteenth-ranked linebacker with just a decent grade in run defense...somewhat high missed tackle total (17)... tackling could be a concern against NFL athletes...size also got him in occasional trouble taking on blocks, particularly against Oregon where he got plowed by the tight end a couple of times (3Q 8:03)

CBS - Relies on agility to avoid blockers, rarely taking them on and shedding. Scheme allowed him to run unimpeded to the ball

Out of all the pundits I'll trust PFF the most since NFL teams are actually paying them for their work. I've said it before, he'll be good in coverage. In a few years I'm sure he'll improve against the run. I've never said Kendricks won't be good. I've simply said that he's not in a different class than Dawson or Anthony or McKinney.

D

Deleted member 6794

ESPN - Lacks ideal size and power... Can do a better job of taking on blocks with proper shoulder positioning and with more consistency to maintain gap integrity....

Pro Football Focus - Kendricks’ skillset is more heavily weighted toward coverage...wasn’t quite as good from an overall grading standpoint, finishing as the sixteenth-ranked linebacker with just a decent grade in run defense...somewhat high missed tackle total (17)... tackling could be a concern against NFL athletes...size also got him in occasional trouble taking on blocks, particularly against Oregon where he got plowed by the tight end a couple of times (3Q 8:03)

CBS - Relies on agility to avoid blockers, rarely taking them on and shedding. Scheme allowed him to run unimpeded to the ball

Out of all the pundits I'll trust PFF the most since NFL teams are actually paying them for their work. I've said it before, he'll be good in coverage. In a few years I'm sure he'll improve against the run. I've never said Kendricks won't be good. I've simply said that he's not in a different class than Dawson or Anthony or McKinney.

Here's the most important quote from the PFF article about Kendricks which you left out of your post:

We’ll see where he goes in the draft. Whether he makes it into the first round or hears his name called early on day two, Kendricks’ size and coverage ability make him a good fit on the weakside in the NFL.

There's no denying there are better prospects available in this year's draft to play on the strong side, but the Packers already have Barrington on the roster to do that. The team should be looking for a weakside ILB during the early rounds, hence why Kendricks is the perfect fit for the Packers needs.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts