Melvin Gordon

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015/8/31/9233931/the-san-diego-chargers-wasted-their-draft-pick

Still far too early to judge him for sure, but early returns on Melvin Gordon are not good, so much that he is not shaping up to be the workhorse the Bolts envisioned who are instead leaning toward a RRBC.

I was a big Gordon fan at UW, and I hope he can turn it around, but hyped UW running backs are developing an awful track record at the NFL level (the Broncos are considering cutting Ball after 2 seasons).

I'm glad that even in the pre-Lacy post-Grant years when we struggled on the ground, we have steered away from drafting RB's in the 1st round.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen a single play of Chargers football, so I really have no opinion, but I do know I'm not going to take the rantings of a disgruntled fan as gospel . We have plenty right here and their opinions vary widely, so where does his fall on the spectrum of reality?

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Gordon could still have a good season and career and I hope he does. We'll see how reality is, it's just the reality of it for now is that he hasn't impressed in training camp and pre-season so far.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasnt had a great preseason but to say one way or another before even halfway through the season is hasty

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give the kid time to learn the playbook and understand the game better. There is WAY too much pressure on rookies to be Andrew Luck out of the gate. These kids need to be coached into good players as much as they supposedly need to be "NFL ready" from the first practice.

That said, I was never a big Melvin Gordon guy but one preseason doesn't determine the fate of a #1 RB pick. It could be a totally different blocking scheme than he's been used to all of his life.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015/8/31/9233931/the-san-diego-chargers-wasted-their-draft-pick

Still far too early to judge him for sure, but early returns on Melvin Gordon are not good, so much that he is not shaping up to be the workhorse the Bolts envisioned who are instead leaning toward a RRBC.

I was a big Gordon fan at UW, and I hope he can turn it around, but hyped UW running backs are developing an awful track record at the NFL level (the Broncos are considering cutting Ball after 2 seasons).

I'm glad that even in the pre-Lacy post-Grant years when we struggled on the ground, we have steered away from drafting RB's in the 1st round.
My humble opinion is, never draft a running back in the 1st round.
Although, Barry Sanders would have been nice.

H

HardRightEdge

Give the kid time to learn the playbook and understand the game better. There is WAY too much pressure on rookies to be Andrew Luck out of the gate. These kids need to be coached into good players as much as they supposedly need to be "NFL ready" from the first practice.

That said, I was never a big Melvin Gordon guy but one preseason doesn't determine the fate of a #1 RB pick. It could be a totally different blocking scheme than he's been used to all of his life.
I agree with that...you have to allow a little more time to pass judgement. A cautionary note, however...a little time is often all it takes with a RB. History shows star running backs show star qualities early; you don't often see one emerge later unless he was stuck on the bench behind some stud or was injured at the get go.

I'd say the one position in the NFL where the skill is more inherent, instinctual, ingrained. in the DNA, or whatever term one wants to use, rather than coached, is RB. You can teach him blocking techniques and polish route running, stuff these guys are often not asked to contribute in college, but the style and instincts that go into running the ball are something of mystery.

Every once in a while you see a guy like Lacy transform himself in the pro game, but that's an uncommon thing, and it showed up right away.

Wait for a few money games...then revisit...as you suggest. Of course that's too late for a fantasy draft, I suppose.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The other top 5 picks in the 1989 draft were Troy Aikman (1st), Derrick Thomas, and Deion Sanders. Literally could not have gone wrong with anyone but Mandarich.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....and his stomach-busting weekly grocery list as detailed in the SI article:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

15 1/2 pounds of steak
4 pounds of chicken
2 pounds of pork
10 pounds of potatoes

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly you're correct. It's a passing league today. But I'll take the running game of the 60s with Hornung, Taylor, Jim Brown, Lenny Moore, Willie Galimore, or Sayers any day.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly you're correct. It's a passing league today. But I'll take the running game of the 60s with Hornung, Taylor, Jim Brown, Lenny Moore, Willie Galimore, or Sayers any day.

I have to confess, and it bugs me to think this, but I think I would be bored by that style of football these days.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good football doesn't bore me. I don't care if it's good passing, a great running back, a perfectly in sync offensive line mowing down defenders or creating the perfect pocket. Screen pass, dump off to a full back, 50 yard bomb, 4 yard pass 50 yard run, great defense, hard tackling, whatever. as long as it's good, the game itself is good enough for me. I'll tell you what bores me, a crap pass by a crap qb that results in a 30 yard gain and 1st down because it was so poorly thrown and a WR ran into a defender and was rewarded for it. I want to see good offenses rewarded, not crap.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to confess, and it bugs me to think this, but I think I would be bored by that style of football these days.
Hey, don't be so ******* yourself. Different times demand different interests. The rules of the game have been changed to allow greater emphasis on the passing game, which has resulted in more scoring. The AFL was a passing league, and most of us at the time thought it wasn't "real football". A lot of that had to do with the fact that the NFL had better passing stats, but passed fewer times than the AFL. The running game was King. But nobody denies that "Starr.....Dowler.....TOUCHDOWN!!!" called by Ray Scott wasn't just as exciting in 1961 as watching Hornung snake through, or around the line for a touchdown. Like everything, the game has become more a business than a club sport, and much of the innocence has disappeared.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i see rbs look awesome in college, and just not able to get it together in the nfl. like it just glitches them out. thinking too much and not playing maybe?
i thought gordons speed would make him sucessful. he had barry sanders stats for crying out loud!?!? so is wisconsins oline that great?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i see rbs look awesome in college, and just not able to get it together in the nfl. like it just glitches them out. thinking too much and not playing maybe?
i thought gordons speed would make him sucessful. he had barry sanders stats for crying out loud!?!? so is wisconsins oline that great?

If you watch his game tape, the guy used plenty of vision, breaking takles and shifty moves to create space and running lanes for himself. I will be rather perplexed if he does not amount to much in the NFL. He is one of the few non-Packer players I am really interested in seeing how he does this year.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Year in and year out the O line is pretty amazing. This year its subpar though.

I think the game just speeds up and some guys arent able to adapt.

Members online

Latest posts