Melin Olsen passes away

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he was not a Packer, but in my opinion a great, great football player. Jerry Kramer commented in his book "Instant Replay", that Olsen, along with Alex Karras from the Lions, were the best two defensive tackles he had to face.
He was part of the "Fearsome Foursome" which included
Lamar Lundy, Rosey Grier, Merlin Olsen and Deacon Jones.

I also thought he was a fine actor, and genuine nice person. Rest easy Merlin.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The man was all football player...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmQ0j1c3akk]YouTube - Merlin Olsen[/ame]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you know what was his weight?

Didn't see him play, but he wouldn't be able to play DT nowadays at that weight... But he does LOOK like a DLineman. And the way he throws people on the ground...

Probably nowadays he'd put on weight, but still, it's projections, I don't know how is his build.

This brings another discussion. I for one think a great player then would definitely have a role nowadays.

OP
OP
OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read in "Instant Replay" that Merlin was anywhere between 265 and 295. Of course linemen were smaller then. Jerry Kramer was nicknamed "The Whale" in his day, and he was around 250 -260. He would be a minnow now a days.

Speaking of weight, few people know that although Jim Taylor played fullback, Paul Hornung, who player halfback outweighed him by 10 -15 lbs. In his prime, Taylor went about 210, Hornung around 225. Other greats? Nitschke went 240, Willie Davis was 245, Starr was 195 and Willie Wood went around 190. Henry Jordan, the Hall of Fame defensive tackle play at 235! Yea, players were a lot smaller 50 years ago!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read in "Instant Replay" that Merlin was anywhere between 265 and 295. Of course linemen were smaller then. Jerry Kramer was nicknamed "The Whale" in his day, and he was around 250 -260. He would be a minnow now a days.

Speaking of weight, few people know that although Jim Taylor played fullback, Paul Hornung, who player halfback outweighed him by 10 -15 lbs. In his prime, Taylor went about 210, Hornung around 225. Other greats? Nitschke went 240, Willie Davis was 245, Starr was 195 and Willie Wood went around 190. Henry Jordan, the Hall of Fame defensive tackle play at 235! Yea, players were a lot smaller 50 years ago!
No doubt about that. But the preparation and the medicine of nowadays are miles ahead of that time, so it's not simply saying "that player was 250 and in today's game he wouldn't play". You have to translate the player into the context. Those players didn't have the same preparation since junior high that kids nowadays have.

The only thing that to me is different is frame. Some amazing players from then simply wouldn't be able to put that much weight without losing all of their mobility... But it's a nearly impossible task to determine which one would be able to and which wouldn't.

Anyway, fact is if there were such propaganda back then, Olsen would be bigger than Warren Sapp. Deacon already gets his rep. Though I still consider Reggie to be better than Deacon, due to his ability to play every single position on the DL, and excel at everyone.

Reggie had the greatest combination of power, speed, motor and inteligence ever seen in a DLineman...

OP
OP
OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree. I was pretty biased and thought Willie Davis was the best defensive end I ever saw play..until I saw Reggie. Reggie was like the 8th grader playing against the kindergarten kids. Just totally overmatched them!

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you are 100% right about reggie white i watched him many times when he played for tennessee. he was a soft spoken man beast. merlin was a very nice guy too till he got on the football field then you better watch out. god rest both their souls

Members online