McCarthys trend...

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is a stubborn man.
He has proven that time and again, he has always declined to put the ax to the chickens neck, and instead play not to lose.
If there was a lesson to be learned, it will be lost on him.

In 2013, we blew an 18 point lead to the Colts. It's obvious MM doesn't learn lessons.

Sky King

Reaction score
Seriously?? We won the SB a couple of years ago!!! A lot of people need to turn in their fan cards. You guys are sounding like Viking fans.....smh
We are all well aware of the history but it's the future that is the question here. Tell us how you think this recent failure will affect the team moving forward. Seriously.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy had plenty of time to come up with something for this game knowing his QB was not going to be mobile. I'am not saying take you best player off the field if he's healthy, but running off tackle and then kick field goals is BS. If you line up Cobb at QB at the goal line and let him run wildcat, or put Lacy and Starks back there with him and run wishbone Seattle would have no clue and their heads would still be spinning trying to stop it.

Take a look back at last year´s Wild Card playoff game vs. the Niners. Trailing 20-17 with six minutes left the Packers had a first down at San Francisco´s 9-yard line. On first down McCarthy put Cobb in the backfield and Rodgers handed him the ball for a one yard gain. On second down the Packers lined up with an empty backfield, five receivers and #12 threw an incompletion. On third down Kuhn was in the backfield as an additional blocker and Aaron was able to find an open receiver and scrambled for two yards.

I´m quite sure the same people complaining about McCarthy´s playcalling back then are now *****ing about him running the ball with Lacy and Kuhn. It´s easy to do that in hindsight when a play doesn´t work out but we don´t have sufficient information to question playcalling most of the time.

Charles Fischbein

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously?? We won the SB a couple of years ago!!! A lot of people need to turn in their fan cards. You guys are sounding like Viking fans.....smh
Football is a what did you do for me TODAY game and business, a couple of years ago is ancient history you cannot win with yesterdays score.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look back at last year´s Wild Card playoff game vs. the Niners. Trailing 20-17 with six minutes left the Packers had a first down at San Francisco´s 9-yard line. On first down McCarthy put Cobb in the backfield and Rodgers handed him the ball for a one yard gain. On second down the Packers lined up with an empty backfield, five receivers and #12 threw an incompletion. On third down Kuhn was in the backfield as an additional blocker and Aaron was able to find an open receiver and scrambled for two yards.

I´m quite sure the same people complaining about McCarthy´s playcalling back then are now *****ing about him running the ball with Lacy and Kuhn. It´s easy to do that in hindsight when a play doesn´t work out but we don´t have sufficient information to question playcalling most of the time.

One, Cobb is fun in the backfield as a change of pace against slower defenses...49ers and Seahawks are not slow defenses. Two, why are we running Kuhn at all? Three, you have Seattle at the one, even if you don't convert there's a great chance they're punting from their own endzone.

Charles Fischbein

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's been on my mind, as well. Until this past Sunday I did not have a lack of confidence in McCarthy. Now it is shaken. His team just became the all-time biggest chokers of the NFL playoffs and may be the current laughingstock of the league. But does he really care what sportswriters and football fans think? What his players may now think of his leadership ability could be another matter.
You got it 100% the players MUST make it clear to TT and other management that they have lost faith in him. Favre would not have allowed himself to be pulled for two short field goals, if forced he would be knocking down TT's door at half time. I blame Rodgers in part for not overruling MM and forcing him to go for touchdowns. I think Rodgers got a bit soft after he got his big new contract, he is a great quarterback but I do not know how strong a man he his in questioning his coach, he is not like Favre in that department he needs to be a stronger team leader and not as laid back. He too had a role in making GB look like a JV team with a rookie coach who as no faith in his players. MM should be shown the door and open a restaurant GB is a team made up of tough men in a great tough American town not to be led by a wimp. It is NOT too late for the players to demand a change or to make it clear they want the OC and QB to have a greater say in clutch plays, if we are stuck with MM for another year or two force him to man up or be gone as I said many NFL coaches with better records haven fired for less than MM did on Sunday when he gave up on his team.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has had several years to change his lets-build-a-lead-and-then-coast mentality, but he's still doing it...I don't know why anyone thinks this will change his mindset....it's obvious he doesn't see anything wrong with what he's doing...

Rickbbg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy came here young (and green) We were rebuilding, rookie coaches, and a hecktic QB transition period. We went through the growing pains. from competitive, to really good. A couple times we did this.

I noticed Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy, and Rodger ALL learned from their mistakes and got better every year.

Now we are peaking. The whole system is well oiled. Tallent boiling over. Leadership. Coaching. salary cap. everything built for long haul, and tuned to be great... So the question lies... Will McCarthy learn from his mistake, and learn to go for the kill? Will he learn to keep punching until they stop moving??? I think he will. His record shows he will.

And on that thought process. can you imagine this offense, if it were run to destroy teams? Right now we are destroying teams on a good sunday afternoon. Rodgers got benched in the 3rd quarter a 2 or 3 times this year... Can you imagine we have Davante Adams break out. We resign Cobb. Nelson leads. Lacy takes 10 yard chunks by land or by air. Richard Rodgers breaks out, and becomes the giant he is destined to be. And Rodgers with a no holds bared, chip on his shoulder, blood in his mouth thirst for TDs.......

Records will fall. Championships will be had. It all starts with McCarthy fine tuning his ruthlessness...
At least McCarthy plays by the the rules and doesn't try and steal the other teams signals or lower the pressure in the game balls to cheat. If that is what it takes for ESPN and all the talking heads on the networks to call him a dynasty coach then we don't need a dynasty coach.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, the Bellicheat stuff is way overblown. The current scandal is now being talked about as something that happens all the time.
Does anyone actually believe any of this crap decided a 45-7 game, or was the reason for 14 consecutive seasons of the Patriots being at or near the top of the NFL?
Really???

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm scratching my head trying to see where these two similar instances are dissimilar enough to be juxtaposed.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, the Bellicheat stuff is way overblown. The current scandal is now being talked about as something that happens all the time.
Does anyone actually believe any of this crap decided a 45-7 game, or was the reason for 14 consecutive seasons of the Patriots being at or near the top of the NFL?
Really???
Yeah, thinking that a team could benefit from something that is against the NFL rules is absolutely ludacris. Guess the NFL outlawed sticky spray for no reason too. :rolleyes::laugh::roflmao::whistling:

Whether or not the Colts would have won that game isn't at issue. It's that the Patriots were caught red handed doing something disallowed by the NFL because it gives competitive advantages. The people being ridiculous are actually those trying to downplay it and sweep it under the rug. It is a big deal and should be treated as such.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read the post again. If you still don't get it, there's no point trying to explain it to you any further, so feel free to snark at a mirror.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:

Packers Boston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really???

Agreed Pats won by 38, thanks to Belichick's aggressive nature. McCarthy should take notice

Packers Boston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy was unwilling to be critical at all of himself in pressers so far, yet the chorus of fans, analysts all over the NFL and our best sportswriters Bob McGinn and Tyler Dunne have called out McCarthy for his passive, risk-averse, 'play-not-to-lose' game plan.

Is he going to to just ignore all of that, is he going to mouth a few of his usual meaningless platitudes, or is he going to seriously acknowledge what is being said about his less-than- stellar in-game coaching style?

I wonder.
Important for MM to accept blame. Can't just let the players like Bostick man up for their faults, while the coach is inoculated.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Important for MM to accept blame. Can't just let the players like Bostick man up for their faults, while the coach is inoculated.
not singling you out in particular, but your's in the last comment to bring it up, but..

I assume you guys are actually Packer fans and have watched this team and this coach the past few years, do you honestly think that McCarthy is a coach that hasn't stood at a podium and took the blame for pretty much everything that has ever happened to this team?

he hasn't been perfect, but a man of purpose and integrity he has been here since day freaking one. The players know it and have said so. he takes ownership and responsibility. I can't believe people are actually suggesting he's not a stand up guy. Criticize and 2nd guess his coaching all you want, but if you don't know the character of MM by now i wonder if you've really been paying attention at all.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey , mister espn edgy attitude started the crap. I made my opinion clear; he's gotta start with your opinion is "bull', and all the rest. Go read the posts. Then read any of my other posts, speaks for itself. As for me, I'm done with it. NWCheese feels some need to keep slinging crap and attitude around, he can do it by himself.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not singling you out in particular, but your's in the last comment to bring it up, but..

I assume you guys are actually Packer fans and have watched this team and this coach the past few years, do you honestly think that McCarthy is a coach that hasn't stood at a podium and took the blame for pretty much everything that has ever happened to this team?

he hasn't been perfect, but a man of purpose and integrity he has been here since day freaking one. The players know it and have said so. he takes ownership and responsibility. I can't believe people are actually suggesting he's not a stand up guy. Criticize and 2nd guess his coaching all you want, but if you don't know the character of MM by now i wonder if you've really been paying attention at all.
I think he's more talking about our ST coordinator who's been a contentious point all year.