McCarthy to give up play calling

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to an NFL source Edgar Bennett will be promoted to OC and Tom Clements to associate head coach with play calling duties.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
This is pretty big news. As I said in the shout box I'm curious if this essentially means Aaron will be calling plays.

Congrats to Bennett, I think he does a good job with the receivers. It'll be interesting to see how he handles more responsibility.

As far as MM, I'm glad he'll be able to focus on some other areas. I think he's a great HC and I thought he was a pretty good play caller who just seemed to take his foot off the gas when the team was up big. It'll be interesting to see if the play calling blamers next year jump on Clements throat like they did MM's. Like I said though I think Aaron will be calling a lot of his own plays now.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If it turns out to be true, should improve McCarthy's game management. I'm surprised McCarthy would give up play calling - perhaps he's not so "stubborn"?

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to see the Packer organization is trying to improve - removing Slocum and this news - versus
Keeping the status quo. Hopefully the changes will continue to player personnel with upgrades to
The DL, ILB and TE.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how this turns out results wise in the games.
- How will it work with Rodgers?
-Despite our obvious issues with some of his play calling, MM is overall pretty good at it.
-Which leads to the next question; how good of a play caller is/will be Clements?
-Lastly, what brought this on? A rift between TT and MM? Was there any arm twisting involved?
This will be interesting.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it turns out to be true, should improve McCarthy's game management. I'm surprised McCarthy would give up play calling - perhaps he's not so "stubborn"?

I don't know. Starts in 2006, gives it up in 2015 - gotta think that counts as stubborn. :)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is pretty big news. As I said in the shout box I'm curious if this essentially means Aaron will be calling plays.

Congrats to Bennett, I think he does a good job with the receivers. It'll be interesting to see how he handles more responsibility.

As far as MM, I'm glad he'll be able to focus on some other areas. I think he's a great HC and I thought he was a pretty good play caller who just seemed to take his foot off the gas when the team was up big. It'll be interesting to see if the play calling blamers next year jump on Clements throat like they did MM's. Like I said though I think Aaron will be calling a lot of his own plays now.
So deep to jordy every play?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is great news in my eyes.
Now McCarthy can be a full time game managing head coach.
I've been clamoring for this for years.
I really think this change will make the Green Bay Packers a better team.

Sky King

Reaction score
After nine years? If true, I wonder how much this may have been influenced by events outside of football. Maybe his brother's unexpected demise has caused him to consider lightening his load a bit. With an offense chronically positioned at or near the top of the NFL, there does not seem to be a performance-based reason driving this alleged decision.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to have more minds in on the game day play calling. I'm sure McCarthy will still have a lot of say so.....

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too soon to tell, or what else will happen, much less how it all turns out next season, but.... I'm getting a good feeling. I'm getting a feeling- at least I hope I'm in the right direction- that this is a team burning from what happened last month, and is being very proactive in turning over every stone to see that next season ends differently.
I have a feeling that this isn't the end of it; that we'll be seeing a team and organization that's going to be very aggressive across the board, doing whatever it takes.
Or in MM's words,"going for it".

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
After nine years? If true, I wonder how much this may have been influenced by events outside of football. Maybe his brother's unexpected demise has caused him to consider lightening his load a bit. With an offense chronically positioned at or near the top of the NFL, there does not seem to be a performance-based reason driving this alleged decision.
who knows why he is giving it up, this is what so many of us wanted him to do years ago. this is a very good thing for the team.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I was reading an article about a month ago that said Aaron Rodgers is already calling about one half of the plays. I don't think he would have called run with four minutes left to go in the game. But I could be wrong. Lombardi let Bart Starr call almost all of the plays. Maybe it's time to go old school.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. Starts in 2006, gives it up in 2015 - gotta think that counts as stubborn. :)
Yep.

9 years in and he suddenly discovers he needs to pay attention to STs and aspects of the team other than play calling. Better late than never I guess.

H

HardRightEdge

If this report is true, changes are indicated beyond just who calls the plays.

Having an OC and an assistant HC calling plays would indicate McCarthy intends to bring more focus to defense and special teams. He's been acting as the de facto OC.

I endorse these changes on all fronts.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sure MM is downright giddy about giving up the duties to...er....edgar Bennett. Best mudder in nfl history.

H

HardRightEdge

Demovsky's blog post:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...anding-off-play-calling?ex_cid=espnapi_public

I found this interesting:

"McCarthy was also heavily involved in the defense during the 2014 season. At the bye week, he went to defensive coordinator Dom Capers with the idea to move Matthews from outside linebacker to inside linebacker..."

I suspected as much. McCarthy was intent on doing something to back up his promise IN CAPITAL LETTERS that the defense would be improved in 2014, whereas Capers was indifferent to said promise.

If these reported changes come to pass, McCarthy will have more time to oversee the defensive side of the ball and will perhaps come to the realization that Capers has gone down the rabbit hole.

H

HardRightEdge

I was reading an article about a month ago that said Aaron Rodgers is already calling about one half of the plays. I don't think he would have called run with four minutes left to go in the game. But I could be wrong. Lombardi let Bart Starr call almost all of the plays. Maybe it's time to go old school.
In Bart Starr's day, most QBs called their own plays. You had the same personnel on nearly every down, whether it was run or pass...QB, HB, FB, TE, FL, SE. There were no helmet communications, no rapid fire substitution packages. If a play was sent in, it was at a timeout or by rotating guards.

While Rodgers might call 40% of the plays, that would be in hurry up or via audibles. And when calling audibles, it's within the constraints of the personnel package sent in for the play the coach has called.

In today's game, which is about match ups, the only way to go old school would be to have Rodgers signal in the personnel he wants. There's just not enough time for that and the QB has enough on his plate already.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this report is true, changes are indicated beyond just who calls the plays.

Having an OC and an assistant HC calling plays would indicate McCarthy intends to bring more focus to defense and special teams. He's been acting as the de facto OC.

I endorse these changes on all fronts.
Very much this! Add this may help better the team's replay challenge/timeout decisions. Ironically, the Dez Bryant challenge was a historically huge success but, overall, Mac's record has not been good.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Think it will be better worth it in the long run for the Coach McCarthy. Seems that McCarthy could focus more on the defense and bigger picture. And others to help him in the offense.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems a bit of a muddle to me. Why is Clements going to be calling the plays as "assistant head coach" while Bennett is offensive coordinator? So Bennett prepares the game plan and another calls the plays? Couldn't Clements have just remained oc and done the play calling?

Will Bennet go up in the booth during games and Clement work on the sideline with Aaron?

Some titles and roles are being shifted around the basic Packers' offensive "brain trust" will remain the same.

Members online

Latest posts