McCarthy to give up play calling

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am most happy for Edgar Bennett. I have been a huge fan of his entire career except for that small hiccup in Chicago! Class act, hard worker...he deserves the promotion! :tup:

Kudos to MM. Looks like some quality coaches have been added to his staff too. This year was a difficult ending to the football season; in addition to his brother passing away. Hopefully sharing the responsibility with his capable staff; will let him oversee the entire team operation and decrease the stress on himself, in a job that must get to be exhausting and draining at times!

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've gained a lot of respect for Mike McCarthy--for him to step back from the situation and look at the situation objectively for the betterment of the team-- it takes a lot of balls. Kudos to him. So many other coaches would take the criticism he's faced defensively.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
McGinn's take:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...t-to-mike-mccarthy-b99448616z1-293322301.html

Alarming to this guy (my way of saying ME):

"In the 1970s and 1980s, the Packers' 45-member board of directors, more specifically the seven members of the executive committee, were too involved in football affairs.

Murphy's executive committee, especially John Bergstrom and Daniel Ariens, appears to be more aggressive than the one that worked in concert with Bob Harlan. Murphy's restraint can't begin to compare with Harlan's because he didn't live the lean years as did his predecessor.

It's probably safe to say that as fans vented their dissatisfaction on social media and elsewhere, board members did the same in phone calls and meetings with Murphy.

It was Murphy who in November approved a long-term contract extension for McCarthy. As much frustration as Murphy probably heard from the board, it's unlikely he would have influenced to any significant degree the decisions made by McCarthy in the last 10 days.

As for Bergstrom, Ariens or, for that matter, anyone else on the board becoming involved in football decisions, sources state it simply wouldn't have happened."

McGinn doesn't impress me as a writer who is going to toss in chaff just for the sake of adding a talking point. I could totally see either of the two names tossed into the discussion, sticking their noses into football operations just because they're on an "Executive Committee". Both have proven that they can run businesses effectively handed to them and more power to them for that. However, neither have a football background and should view their positions as "business-end only". Frankly, both are pretty much hand-in-glove with the current administration in the State of Wisconsin and had large roles in the W.E.D.C. -- and anyone watching that closely knows what a cluster f**k that turned into. The last thing I'd want is an uber-wealthy car salesman and an equally wealthy lawn implement manufacturer twisting Murphy's arm to effect change in football operations. We've been there and done that. These guys however, aren't used to being told "no" ... and are micro-managers, fingers in every pot within their perceived domain. It needs to be made perfectly clear that they don't own the Green Bay Packers and they'll never be Jerry Jones.

Members online

Latest posts