McBrien released by the Packers

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping McBrien would make the squad. He was showing flashes of being able to play for sure. I kind of thought that we may see Rodgers with McBrien as his backup in the future. (Assuming Nall would be traded or released next season)

Any thoughts on this? I bet the Packers will snatch him up on the practice squad like last season.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not surprising considering the up hill battle he would have here. Good guy, hope he can catch on somewhere.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i like this guy...

i bet a few years down the road, he winds up on some team and leads them to victory...

perhaps Arizona?

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree nice guy but sitting 5th on the depth chart is no way to go thru camp. GB did him a good turn by releasing him this early. He now has a shot at going thru someone else's camp and and making their final cut.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its tough for anyone to be languishing on the bench but to be that far down the roster with Brett Favre/Craig Nall/Aaron Rodgers all ahead of you is to ask too much of anyone.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really hard to be comfortable with QB decisions left to Mike Sherman.

In 2003 he signed Akili Smith...LMAO and last season he signed Tim Couch...???

I'm not sure Sherman knows to much about QB's.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it is not as if MS said that those guys were going to be his starting QB.
There is nothng wrong with bringing in a guy to take a look at him. After all MS knew enuf not to give up a draft choice for Couch.
keep in mind, they always want to bring in extra arms to camp so that Brett can take fewer snaps and rest himself for the season.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
wpr said:
There is nothng wrong with bringing in a guy to take a look at him.

Sherman signed Akili Smith and Tim Couch to contracts.

Yeah, it is pretty hard to get a good look at a player in a preseason game if they don't have a contract.

Did either of them play a down in a regular season game? Did they even make the final team? No and No. MS used the preseason for what it is to take a look at them and see if there was any pro quality in these guys. There wasn't and and they released them.

It was no big deal. I fail to see why you are making such an issue over this. If he had signed me to a contract then you would have something to gripe about.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard good things about McBrien last summer, but was not impressed with him in the preseason. He's scrappy but undersized. I hope he lands somewhere, but the odds are against a team setting aside a roster spot for a QB who looks like he does not have the physical tools to be an NFL starter. Maybe he could do well in the Arena League or something.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel wheels pretty much describes the writer's brain mechanism. Not well oiled.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The worst part about bringing Couch in is they paid him $600,000 without even working him out. Had they done that they should have discovered his bad shoulder.

McBrien should go to Canada I believe. More open game, he can get out from behind tall lineman, and has a better chance of playing and developing. Being stuck on the bench isn't going help him much.

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I think you are he played there and in Europe. Thiesman, Moon, Garcia, and Flutie all came from the CFL though. There are more but I can't remember right now.

Later
Leopardmech

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kurt Warner was in a Green Bay Packer summer training camp after he finished college ( long enough for a cup of coffee ) , before he was cut by the Packers or walked out I can't remember which. There is a story about Warner which goes like this: Holmgren sent him in to QB the team during a training camp session and he refused to go in. I guess, at that time, he didn't have a clue about what he was suppose to do, when he got into the huddle. Kurt just stood on the sidelines and didn't move towards the Packer Huddle. So that ended his career with the Packers after a few weeks.

Members online

Latest posts