Mays?

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets say the Packers pick S Taylor Mays at 23 and he never does pan out because his cover skills turn out to be crap. Would we be able to transform a guy like this to play WR. He has the size and athleticism to be a great WR. Can good rout running be learned because I don't think good cover instincts can?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that would ever work. I assume his hands are suspect, but reguardless he would more likely be a LB. I am getting a feeling we could take him. Very mixed feelings about that.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Yeah why not take him and put him as an OLB? surely a guy that can hit that hard can generate some pass rush, and he'll be better than other guys we have in pass coverage.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he isn't fast enough/fluid enough to cover TE's and WR's than why the hell would he be fast enough/fluid enough to be a WR? Plus he has TERRIBLE hands, one of the reasons why he has so few INT's in college.

This idea....no good

OP
OP
olwig420

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he isn't fast enough/fluid enough to cover TE's and WR's than why the hell would he be fast enough/fluid enough to be a WR? Plus he has TERRIBLE hands, one of the reasons why he has so few INT's in college.

This idea....no good

How is a safety covering in a zone defense anything like a WR running a scripted route?

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that would ever work. I assume his hands are suspect, but reguardless he would more likely be a LB. I am getting a feeling we could take him. Very mixed feelings about that.
Back in the 70's the Steelers took a chance on some skinny kid from Ball St. that was 6'3" and about 220. He went on to wear #58 for 11 years and finished up his career with a trip to Canton. Go search YouTube for Jack Lambert, and see what speed and the willingness to hit people can do for you.

I'm not saying that Mays is the next Lambert, but they sure do like to smack people....

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't old whats his name over at da Bears play safety at New Mexico before being moved to linebacker?

This Mays kid can hit, I would be thrilled with him at 23.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is any question about Taylor Mays speed. He ran the unofficial 4.24 at the combine and had an 'official' 4.43, but that was a sketchy 'official' time if you saw what they did on NFL Network during the combine and he was clearly ahead of the guy that ran a 4.3 something

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is any question about Taylor Mays speed. He ran the unofficial 4.24 at the combine and had an 'official' 4.43, but that was a sketchy 'official' time if you saw what they did on NFL Network during the combine and he was clearly ahead of the guy that ran a 4.3 something

The 40 yard dash is more than a test for speed actually. In fact it's to see who is more "jumpy" than the other guy. This is to predict on offense if you're going to make a false start or on defense who has the impulse to jump offsides. The computer that calculates the 40 time detects this by looking at who sprints exactly as the whistle is blown or those who jump like a ms earlier. If a player does jump early the computer will add seconds to your 40 time as a penalty as to determine you real speed had you not jumped. So in the case of Mays he probably did run faster than the next guy but it could've been the fact that waited on th whistle and jumped a bit earlier.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, I kind of worded that badly, I was just stating about how fast he is and his pure athletic ability... I think this guy is going to be a stud in the NFL

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, I kind of worded that badly, I was just stating about how fast he is and his pure athletic ability... I think this guy is going to be a stud in the NFL
Mays is an athletic freak but so was Tony Mandarich, Heyward-Bey, Reggie Bush, Troy Williamson... And this guys produced in college...

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mays is an athletic freak but so was Tony Mandarich, Heyward-Bey, Reggie Bush, Troy Williamson... And this guys produced in college...

Reggie Bush can do more than just a RB where he obvioiusly hasnt been that successful, but he's good in the return game, and can be used as a pretty decent WR. Heyward-Bey is a Bust like Williamson and Mandarich.. I don't see Mays being a bust seeing how he is a very fast, tough, hard hitting safety that can be moved to play LB if it doesnt work out at safety. He could be a pretty sick OLB with opposite of Clay Matthews. The guy is stacked.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie Bush can do more than just a RB where he obvioiusly hasnt been that successful, but he's good in the return game, and can be used as a pretty decent WR. Heyward-Bey is a Bust like Williamson and Mandarich.. I don't see Mays being a bust seeing how he is a very fast, tough, hard hitting safety that can be moved to play LB if it doesnt work out at safety. He could be a pretty sick OLB with opposite of Clay Matthews. The guy is stacked.
The thing is, he doesn't have a sack in his collegiate career. How does anyone knows if he's got ANY pass rushing skills? It's not just run past your blocker, you know...

And at ILB, it requires even BETTER pursuing angles than at Safety. He doesn't have them.

Nobody can surely predict anything of Mays. He clearly has the work ethic and intelligence to learn. Coupled with his athletic skills, he could be an amazing player.

I just think that, if in 4 years of starting in college, in a major program, he hasn't learned how to take proper angles and how to cover, what gives that he's going to now? Not to mention ballskills, that is something one just can't learn (i.e. Jarrett Bush)

I just believe that if we're gonna gamble on an athletic safety, may it be Chad Jones, that can be gotten later, is also very athletic, and is extremely raw because he only started 1 year in college, coming out 1 year early...

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is, he doesn't have a sack in his collegiate career. How does anyone knows if he's got ANY pass rushing skills? It's not just run past your blocker, you know...

And at ILB, it requires even BETTER pursuing angles than at Safety. He doesn't have them.

Nobody can surely predict anything of Mays. He clearly has the work ethic and intelligence to learn. Coupled with his athletic skills, he could be an amazing player.

I just think that, if in 4 years of starting in college, in a major program, he hasn't learned how to take proper angles and how to cover, what gives that he's going to now? Not to mention ballskills, that is something one just can't learn (i.e. Jarrett Bush)

I just believe that if we're gonna gamble on an athletic safety, may it be Chad Jones, that can be gotten later, is also very athletic, and is extremely raw because he only started 1 year in college, coming out 1 year early...

I am 100% with you on your analysis.

Smoker2Rogers46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor Mays is a SAFETY and he will play safety his entire career in the NFL. I would love this pick at 23 considering all the potential and athleticism that Mays has. I think that it's pretty obivious that he will be a significant upgrade Atari Bigby and he has potential to be one of the must dominating defenisve players the NFL or the Green Bay Packers have ever seen

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor Mays is a SAFETY and he will play safety his entire career in the NFL. I would love this pick at 23 considering all the potential and athleticism that Mays has. I think that it's pretty obivious that he will be a significant upgrade Atari Bigby and he has potential to be one of the must dominating defenisve players the NFL or the Green Bay Packers have ever seen
If Mays play like his athleticism permits him, he could be better than LeRoy Butler I think...

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just feel he is one of the bigger IF's in this year's draft. We are a team built to win RIGHT NOW and we can't set ourselves back a few years by missing our first round pick. We need players who contribute right away and help make that final push that we need to be in the Super Bowl and hopefully win it. We are knocking on the doors....let's just kick them down

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just feel he is one of the bigger IF's in this year's draft. We are a team built to win RIGHT NOW and we can't set ourselves back a few years by missing our first round pick. We need players who contribute right away and help make that final push that we need to be in the Super Bowl and hopefully win it. We are knocking on the doors....let's just kick them down

Yeah this is the type of sentiment that needs to be expressed. We need to make a push for the superbowl THIS YEAR, we've been building up for a long time now and it's do or die time. This is why the only "project" that we should look to develop should be an offensive lineman. For any other position that we draft for, that player should be able to contribute right away. IMHO Mays is one of those players that I feel is more project than an immediate contributor.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah this is the type of sentiment that needs to be expressed. We need to make a push for the superbowl THIS YEAR, we've been building up for a long time now and it's do or die time. This is why the only "project" that we should look to develop should be an offensive lineman. For any other position that we draft for, that player should be able to contribute right away. IMHO Mays is one of those players that I feel is more project than an immediate contributor.
Agreed with both of you.

Members online

Latest posts