Maybe 2008 will mirror 1994

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe history will repeat itself some way.

Packer Report.com

Maybe 2008 will mirror 1994

By Bob Fox
[email protected]
Posted May 18, 2008

Surrounded by young backups and strong coaches, Brett Favre burst onto the scene in 1994. With similar circumstances, can the same be true for Aaron Rodgers?

The Green Bay Packers will be going to training camp without Brett Favre for the first time since 1991.

It looks like the Packers will be young at quarterback, with new starter Aaron Rodgers in his fourth season and perhaps two rookies backing him up. It was a similar story in 1994.

Favre was starting his fourth year in the NFL, and his third with the Packers. Behind Favre were Ty Detmer, a third-year veteran, and Mark Brunell, a second-year player. Favre was sort of at a crossroads in his career. He had led the Packers to two straight winning seasons and a playoff berth after the 1993 campaign, but his play was wildly inconsistent. The Packers were looking for a big improvement from No. 4 entering 1994.

Favre started that season slowly. After an early-season loss to Minnesota in which Favre was sidelined by an injured hip, coach Mike Holmgren polled the coaches to see who should start at quarterback the next week. Brunell won the vote, but Holmgren stuck with Favre.

As if he saw the light, Favre’s career took off from there.

Favre’s next game was against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on a Monday night. The weather was miserable. It was cold, rainy and windy. Favre did not have a great game in terms of passing percentage due to the conditions, but he threw one touchdown pass, scored on a wild 36-yard scamper and threw no interceptions in a 33-6 romp.

The season turned out to be Favre’s breakthrough year. Favre ended up with 33 touchdown passes to just 14 interceptions — after throwing 19 TD passes to 24 interceptions in 1993 — and led the team back to the playoffs with a last-second touchdown run to beat Atlanta.

The 1994 season set the stage for a three-year run from 1995 to 1997 with three straight MVP seasons, three straight NFC Central Division titles and three straight NFC championship game appearances. The Packers won two of those, and Favre brought the Lombardi Trophy back to Green Bay after the Packers defeated the New England Patriots 35-21 in Super Bowl XXXI.

In 1994, like Rodgers will in 2008, Favre had young quarterbacks surrounding him, plus he had Holmgren and quarterbacks coach Steve Mariucci to tutor him. Rodgers has a similar opportunity under coach Mike McCarthy and quarterbacks coach Tom Clements.

Favre proved the acumen of that coaching duo in 2007, when he had his best season in many years, and Rodgers had a magnificent game against Dallas in his one regular-season opportunity. Rodgers needs that type of success to carry over to 2008.

Favre had his breakthrough year in 1994. Will Rodgers have similar results in 2008? Time will tell.

Favre had some advice for Rodgers at his retirement announcement.

“I wish Aaron well,” Favre said. “I think he’ll do a great job. I think he has the talent. I know everyone’s made comments that, ‘Boy, big shoes to fill.’ The only shoes he has to fill is himself. He doesn’t need to play like Brett Favre. It’s all about the cast around you, it’s about the coaching staff. If you stay focused on the fact that it’s not about you — they obviously drafted him because he has the talent, mental capabilities — he’ll be fine. Hopefully, one day he’s sitting here where I am and able to experience what I’ve been able to experience.”

Great advice, from a great quarterback.

Bob Fox is a frequent contributor to PackerReport.com. E-mail him at [email protected]

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am looking/hoping for 96' myself.

95' Packers lost the NFC Championship to the eventual SB Champ. Followed up by a SB win and SB appearance.

When wishing, wish big.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am looking/hoping for 96' myself.

95' Packers lost the NFC Championship to the eventual SB Champ. Followed up by a SB win and SB appearance.

When wishing, wish big.
Thats true! I mean, if you want the SB, why just ask for the playoffs?
Of course with the way the Packers have done since 92, my hopes are alot higher.
I remember when the Packers made the playoffs, and beat the Lions in the first round. I was THRILLED with just that! Now i want/expect more.

OP
OP
A

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with what both of you have said. However, before you walk, you must first crawl. Rodgers will be a fine QB for the Pack. But let's not expect TOO much the first year. Remember, Brett only took the Packers to 4 NFC Championship games in 16 years, going 2-2. And the Packers won ONE Super Bowl in the Favre era.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with what both of you have said. However, before you walk, you must first crawl. Rodgers will be a fine QB for the Pack. But let's not expect TOO much the first year. Remember, Brett only took the Packers to 4 NFC Championship games in 16 years, going 2-2. And the Packers won ONE Super Bowl in the Favre era.
I know what you are saying. Realisticly, if Rodgers can get us to the playoffs this year, it would be huge.
But we can dream, can't we? :wink: :D

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think that history will repeat itself, then, I think, we
will first have to go through 1993.

Let's not get ahead of ourselfs, because I think what Rodgers has
done to this point will, at best, equal Favres 1992 season.
And only in terms of NFL-experience, of course not in terms of playing-time.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article, but I'm thinking more along the lines of '95.

Rodgers has had 3 preseasons now and 3 years to learn under Brett Favre and two years with MM. He's seasoned. He knows what he's doing. His poise in Dallas was downright awesome.

I wouldn't be surprised if we win the SB in '09. We have a balanced team. We have depth. And Rodgers is going to kick some ***.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that along with the offense it took a #1 rated defense to bring back The Lombardi trophy to Green-Bay.

I am thinking that the 2008 Packer Defense can dominate, taking some of the pressure off of AR and the offense.
A return to the play-off will be fine with me, a return to the Superbowl would just be the icing on the cake.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that along with the offense it took a #1 rated defense to bring back The Lombardi trophy to Green-Bay.

I am thinking that the 2008 Packer Defense can dominate, taking some of the pressure off of AR and the offense.
A return to the play-off will be fine with me, a return to the Superbowl would just be the icing on the cake.

I'm under the impression that the one thing holding our D back is a scary pass rush. We did absolutely nothing against the Cows, and will need a good pass rush to defeat the top tier teams (Cows, Pats, Colts, and Giants).

With someone on the other side from Kampman who could take some of the double teams off of Kampman, I could see us being an elite D and bringing home the Lombardi. Then the lapse in DB coverage will be a non-issue. The Giants won the SB last year with problems at DB, but opposing teams didn't have a chance to exploit it because their pass rush was so brutal.

Members online

Latest posts