Matt Miller's Post-Combine 7 Round Mock - Thoughts/Reactions

Would you be satisfied if this was the Packers actual 2017 Draft?

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696408-2017-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-post-combine-projections

You know at first I said this was crazy. But then when I thought about it, this is a Ted Thompson Draft. None of us would do it, but he absolutely would! So humor me, or maybe humor each other, what would be your reactions if this is our Draft? I mean is this not how it is every year? We walk away not feeling victorious, nor defeated, but just that "Hmmmm...." feeling.

(Sidenote: I rarely post my own threads so help my self-esteem by at least taking this discussion to Page 2, lol.)

But to cut to the chase and to save you all from scrolling I compiled the list:

Round 1, 29th Overall - Forrest Lamp - OG, Western Kentucky

This is probably the only pick that made sense to me. We've lost 2 Pro Bowl Guards with no real replacement in sight. With comparisons to Scherff, and being considered the best OL at the Senior Bowl, I can easily live with this pick. I'm thinking that Miller believes the players TT will want at CB and Edge will be off the board and this is a pick that satisfies both BPA AND Need.

Round 2, 61st Overall - D'Onta Foreman - RB, Texas

I don't love the pick, I don't hate the pick, but I do respect it. Fat Eddie will most likely be on thin ice, and working for peanuts next year. An even better way to push him is to bring in a guy who literally looks like a Lacy 2.0. Foreman is a bruising back who is deceptively fast who had the misfortune of playing at Texas during the Dark Ages. Give Foreman a better offense than what he's used to and he could be our best "defense" by running out the clock with tough medium sized gains.

Round 3, 93rd Overall - Bucky Hodges - TE, Virginia Tech

Alot of you guys on the forum are really high on this guy. I personally haven't seen any tape on the kid. There are other TEs I'd prefer such as Leggett(60th) or Shaheen(88th) but they're already off the board. With this "run on TEs" perhaps TT says if he's going to get one it has to be now?

Round 4, 134th Overall - Jarron Jones - DL, Notre Dame

I don't like this pick at all. Jones kind of likens to how I felt when Kenny Clark was drafted last year, except Kenny has FAR more upside. This is one of those picks, like Fackrell(my opinion), where you're saying to yourself, "What were you thinking there Ted?" What infuriates me more about this pick is a few guys who I think are better fits, Kpassagnon(106th), who is gone in the third so TT can't help it; but Taylor(129th) is just a few picks ahead and then Johnson(135th) comes off the board with the next pick! I know this mock doesn't involve Draft Day trades but I pray TT moves up!

Round 5, 172nd Overall - Travis Rudolph - WR, Florida State

I would groan, curse, hit something, you name it if this was our pick. But let's face it TT drafts a WR every year and then holds on to them for far longer than he should (Janis/Abbrederis). The only thing I can possibly say about this pick is that Rudolph SHOULD have turned out to be a 2nd-3rd Round Pick; unfortunately his production on the field never materialized. That's where MM and AR come in...I see this as a ploy for TT to find himself a "Cobb exit strategy" if this "gamble" pays off. But if he REALLY wanted a WR, Coley(175th) comes off three picks later! And Coley is faster than Cobb.

Round 5, 182nd Overall - Delano Hill - S, Michigan

Who? I had to do my research, but this is a classic TT pick. I bet he scouted the kid himself. I have to admit, based on the round and position, I actually like the pick. Is Micah Hyde going anywhere TT? Even if he doesn't I like the added depth here. Hill ran 4.47 at the combine, if he has any real cover skills in man I can see him playing outside due to injury. Perhaps TT hopes MM and Capers can convert him to CB?

Round 6, 212th Overall - Nate Hairston - CB, Temple

Another TT pick. Hairston is a converted WR who is a project. I'm not sure what TT would see in this guy so he's another wait and see pick. Unfortunately, Griffin(201st) who ran a 4.38 at the combine compared to Hairston's 4.52 is long gone.

Round 7, 247th Overall - Kevin Bourne - WR, Eastern Washington

We all know TT can't work a Draft without getting his WR fix. Here's another one, and unfortunately, he runs 4.68 and comes from the FCS. Will he make it past training camp? Why TT? Why?

So there you have it guys....if this was really our Draft, how would you feel?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So there you have it guys....if this was really our Draft, how would you feel?
Personally I'd be aghast at this. I know you (F>R) did not do this draft so the "you" that follows references the A-hole that has no concept of Ted and the Packers drafting MO and tendencies that did this.
No picks on defense until the 4th round? No matter how FA goes down, defense will be an earlier pick. I've seen it said this is a deep CB & DL draft and you don't get any until day 3? Also, we have 3 OLBs under contract/offered at the moment. They'd like more than that come camp. I'd expect one or two to get drafted.
When has Ted EVER taken an OL in the first round that wasn't a tackle. He converts mid-tier OTs to any other OL position. That has been his MO. Sitton was the last top half of the draft OL pick that wasn't an OT. Linsley was a lower round pick.
The TE need will depend on FA. With or without Cook or another signed, I expect Ted to not reach for one just to get one.
sidenote: I've also seen it said that Ted ALWAYS picks from a power 5 conference in the first round. Something about a comfort level with the level of competition and big pressure games these players face. In fact you have to go back a generation to 1977 to find a non power 5 school player picked by this franchise.

ETA: you pick a WR in round 7 to "get his yearly WR fix" even after you had him pick one in round 5?

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Personally I'd be aghast at this. I know you (F>R) did not do this draft so the "you" that follows references the A-hole that has no concept of Ted and the Packers drafting MO and tendencies that did this.
No picks on defense until the 4th round? No matter how FA goes down, defense will be an earlier pick. I've seen it said this is a deep CB & DL draft and you don't get any until day 3? Also, we have 3 OLBs under contract/offered at the moment. They'd like more than that come camp. I'd expect one or two to get drafted.
When has Ted EVER taken an OL in the first round that wasn't a tackle. He converts mid-tier OTs to any other OL position. That has been his MO. Sitton was the last top half of the draft OL pick that wasn't an OT. Linsley was a lower round pick.
The TE need will depend on FA. With or without Cook or another signed, I expect Ted to not reach for one just to get one.
sidenote: I've also seen it said that Ted ALWAYS picks from a power 5 conference in the first round. Something about a comfort level with the level of competition and big pressure games these players face. In fact you have to go back a generation to 1977 to find a non power 5 school player picked by this franchise.

ETA: you pick a WR in round 7 to "get his yearly WR fix" even after you had him pick one in round 5?

I agree with you that that scenario is terrible, but it should be noted that Sitton actually was a tackle at UCF and Lamp is an OT that's being projected to guard or center.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That draft would get nearly any GM canned. TT's drafting has declined but it can't be that bad!

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope Ted doesnt wait till Round 4 to get help for the Secondary. The secondary is that bad of a dumpster fire that Ted should get a CB in the first round or 2nd round.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers first and foremost need to improve the cornerback and outside linebacker positions. It would be absolutely terrible to wait until the sixth round to draft a CB and not select an edge rusher at all.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest though, through Round 3 you'd guys would be psyched, lol.

No edge rush. No secondary. Would not be psyched. Player quality is fine, but I feel like we're borderline desperate for help at those positions, so I'll be disappointed if neither is addressed in the first 3 picks.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm speechless that someone would actually mock that for the Packers let alone it actually happening.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I dont think it's all that bad. There gonna need to score a ton of points this year to have a chance.

Mine as well double down on the offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I dont think it's all that bad. There gonna need to score a ton of points this year to have a chance.

Mine as well double down on the offense.

There's no doubt the Packers should concentrate on improving the defense. The offense should be fine if Thompson re-signs Cook.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So has anyone considered that maybe, just maybe that TT whips out the check book and signs a couple FAs? If TT re-signed Perry and Peppers plus added a new CB would that change the total outlook on this Draft? Maybe that's what Miller is thinking....that because of all the glaring holes in defense there's no way TT can solve this through the Draft and is forced to spend money in FA?

D

Deleted member 6794

So has anyone considered that maybe, just maybe that TT whips out the check book and signs a couple FAs? If TT re-signed Perry and Peppers plus added a new CB would that change the total outlook on this Draft? Maybe that's what Miller is thinking....that because of all the glaring holes in defense there's no way TT can solve this through the Draft and is forced to spend money in FA?

The Packers signing a cornerback in free agency as well as addressing the outside linebacker position would change the way I look at Miller's mock draft. As of right now there's no reason to like it though.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd fly to GB and punch him in his throat. I cringe at the thought of taking any player not on defense in the first round.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats about right. Packs #1 need is CB help so don't address it until round 6.

Wow if that would be our draft then Ted should be fired immediately after he makes his last pick!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers should concentrate on improving the defense. The offense should be fine if Thompson re-signs Cook.

They have been spending premium picks on defense for several years now and it hasn't produced **** on that side of the ball other then mediocrity.

Mine as well just try to score more points.

D

Deleted member 6794

They have been spending premium picks on defense for several years now and it hasn't produced **** on that side of the ball other then mediocrity.

That doesn't change the fact that the defense still needs to be addressed and while Thompson hasn't been successful drafting on that side of the ball the probability of finding an impact player is higher by spending early round picks on it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That doesn't change the fact that the defense still needs to be addressed and while Thompson hasn't been successful drafting on that side of the ball the probability of finding an impact player is higher by spending early round picks on it.

Why not give Aaron a premium weapon? Jordy getting older and Cobb isn't the same as earlier in his career.

The defense isn't gonna stop anybody after the addition of a couple draft picks. Especially the way Thompson picks em.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why not give Aaron a premium weapon? Jordy getting older and Cobb isn't the same as earlier in his career.

The defense isn't gonna stop anybody after the addition of a couple draft picks. Especially the way Thompson picks em.

There's no doubt that Thompson should address the defense in free agency. If he does that I wouldn't mind drafting offensive players early at all.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is exactly why he should use free agency!! Because he stinks at drafting guys on defense!!!! the Packers management is keeping the Packers from going to the SB! Mainly TT. He doesn't like to spend, he doesn't like to take guys on defense to play their natural positions.

Members online

Latest posts