Matt Flynn

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
He completed about 2/3 of his passes. He played about as well as any backup who has been thrust into the middle of a game for the first real playing time of his career. The INT was bad, but other than that, given the lack of any protection, no complaints.

The thing I don't understand is some people's need to find someone to crucify every single time a game is lost.

Agreed. Flynn hasn't seen nearly enough game time to assess his full potential.

It's OK. That's what I was trying to say in that Crosby thread, somebody gets it every week. I chalk it up to some people just vent their emotions differently. We all deal with things differently but we must remember that deep down their is one thing that binds us, our love for the Packers. Our intentions are really the same although some just arrive there in a different way. Alas, now it's Flynn's turn!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the idea was trading him for a 6th or 7th rounder, which I don't see anyone doing (or the point). He'll just stay as our backup or walk after next season.

If I'm debating with folks who think he's worth a first rounder, well... there's no point. That's just being drunk on the Packers Kool-Aid. That's unrealistic thinking even for Madden 2011.

Still waiting on anything that would suggest any GM would spend a draft pick on a 26 year old project QB (who could be 27 before he starts depending on the lockout). I know you don't trade 1st-3rd round picks for backup QBs, now...

The Tom Brady reference made no sense. Brett Favre was a more credible example. Even then, he was 22 when he started for GB in '92.

So yet again... why would any team trade for Matt Flynn? What has made him so much more valuable than when he was drafted as a seventh rounder? He's been an average backup who wasn't highly regarded when he was originally drafted (Proof = 7th round selection). Since he's done little but play preseason football and perform average in regular season games that he does play in, why would you realistically think he's getting traded for draft picks?

Tom Brady - pick 199 in 2000
Matt Flynn - pick 207 in 2008

Since then one has gone on to be a top 10 QB of all time. The other has outplayed a 2nd rounder in the same draft at his position and thats about it.

WHERE THEY WERE DRAFTED HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT THEY ARE WORTH NOW!!!

I dont think I can explain this to you. For some reason you think what happened in the 08 draft is relevant at this point. Its not.

Jamaal Charles was drafted in 08 as well in the 3rd. I bet you think the chiefs couldnt get anything more out of him LOL

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He played half a game, guys. Not only that, but he played it against a good pass rush through a crappy O line. I don't understand how anyone is passing judgments on him right now.

Some people miss the big picture because they only look at wins and losses. The fact is that the Lions are 19 points short of being an 8-5 team.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing this game proves is that Flynn is not as good as Rodgers right now.

BTW, Rodgers didn't have a single point in the game.

This game only proves the inneptitude of McCarthy's playcalling and Campen's coaching.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people miss the big picture because they only look at wins and losses. The fact is that the Lions are 19 points short of being a 8-5 team.

Just got into an argument with a vikings fans about the quality of the lions. He was saying they are the worst team in the league and they suck.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Just got into an argument with a vikings fans about the quality of the lions. He was saying they are the worst team in the league and they suck.
Not a very nice thing to say about the team that's giving them a home this week because they're too inept to build their own.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Brady - pick 199 in 2000
Matt Flynn - pick 207 in 2008

Since then one has gone on to be a top 10 QB of all time. The other has outplayed a 2nd rounder in the same draft at his position and thats about it.

WHERE THEY WERE DRAFTED HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT THEY ARE WORTH NOW!!!

I dont think I can explain this to you. For some reason you think what happened in the 08 draft is relevant at this point. Its not.

Jamaal Charles was drafted in 08 as well in the 3rd. I bet you think the chiefs couldnt get anything more out of him LOL

... Are you serious with these comparisons? Lol.

We're not getting anything out of a backup quarterback who's been average at best. He wasn't highly regarded coming out of the draft (Proof = 7th round) and he hasn't done anything since joining the NFL. Why would a GM suddenly give up something for him? They'd just draft a younger guy who they can mold to their liking.

Now if you'd stop talking about Tom Brady and Jamaal Charles (wtf?), what has Flynn currently done that would suggest any GM would want to take a risk on him being a project QB who'll be 26 next season? For the 5th time now...

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... Are you serious with these comparisons? Lol.

We're not getting anything out of a backup quarterback who's been average at best. He wasn't highly regarded coming out of the draft (Proof = 7th round) and he hasn't done anything since joining the NFL. Why would a GM suddenly give up something for him? They'd just draft a younger guy who they can mold to their liking.

Now if you'd stop talking about Tom Brady and Jamaal Charles (wtf?), what has Flynn currently done that would suggest any GM would want to take a risk on him being a project QB who'll be 26 next season? For the 5th time now...

For the 5th time, can you explain to me how his draft position has anything to do with how he is viewed at this point? Wouldnt it be how the coaches on the pack view him in practice and how he has played in the preseason? No? Make too much sense for you? Glad you only come around when we lose, wouldnt want to deal with your ignorant post all the time.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the 5th time, can you explain to me how his draft position has anything to do with how he is viewed at this point? Wouldnt it be how the coaches on the pack view him in practice and how he has played in the preseason? No? Make too much sense for you? Glad you only come around when we lose, wouldnt want to deal with your ignorant post all the time.

Man I've already explained it to you multiple times. What does "coaches on the pack view him in practice" even matter? That doesn't mean anything in terms of how other GMs view him or his trade value.

I'm not even sure we're arguing about the same thing because you're not even close to answering my argument and apparently I'm not close to answering what you're asking so just forget it, lol. I don't see why you want to trade him so bad, anyway.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I've already explained it to you multiple times. What does "coaches on the pack view him in practice" even matter? That doesn't mean anything in terms of how other GMs view him or his trade value.

I'm not even sure we're arguing about the same thing because you're not even close to answering my argument and apparently I'm not close to answering what you're asking so just forget it, lol. I don't see why you want to trade him so bad, anyway.

Please show me where I said we need to trade Flynn.

Oh and this might surprise you but coaching staffs talk about back up QBs as do GMs.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
okay so it was 3-0 Pack, and Flynn was marching us down the field and into a first and goal situation. I thought about it, and almost posted something along the lines of "Matt Flynn, unsung hero of 2010" then he goes and throws that ridiculous interception in the endzone. Needless to say i would have felt pretty dumb if i posted that...

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please show me where I said we need to trade Flynn.

Oh and this might surprise you but coaching staffs talk about back up QBs as do GMs.

Maybe we're getting somewhere...

Now why would they talk about Flynn. Almost no experience, wasn't highly regarded coming out of college (proof = 7th round pick), and has performed average-at-best when he's had the opportunity. He's also 26 by early next year, which is pretty old for a project QB who hasn't already been groomed under a new system.

Nothing he has done up to this point suggests he has disproven why he was originally drafted low. Therefore, why would anyone suddenly spend draft picks on the guy? Why would anyone think he's suddenly good based on what he's done in his NFL career if what he did at LSU wasn't good enough?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we're getting somewhere...

Now why would they talk about Flynn. Almost no experience, wasn't highly regarded coming out of college (proof = 7th round pick), and has performed average-at-best when he's had the opportunity. He's also 26 by early next year, which is pretty old for a project QB who hasn't already been groomed under a new system.

Nothing he has done up to this point suggests he has disproven why he was originally drafted low. Therefore, why would anyone suddenly spend draft picks on the guy? Why would anyone think he's suddenly good based on what he's done in his NFL career if what he did at LSU wasn't good enough?

Please show me where I said trade flynn or apologize for making up sh*t that I didnt say.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please show me where I said trade flynn or apologize for making up sh*t that I didnt say.

Okay. I'm done trying to get you to explain why you think Flynn has such great trade value. Simple question and you just keep dodging it.

Flynn is the backup and will be unless he's released / goes somewhere in FA. Any discussions about potential trades are premature, especially when he's never had an above-average NFL start.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score

Okay. I'm done trying to get you to explain why you think Flynn has such great trade value. Simple question and you just keep dodging it.

Flynn is the backup and will be unless he's released / goes somewhere in FA. Any discussions about potential trades are premature, especially when he's never had an above-average NFL start.
I think he's trying to say that he never claimed Flynn was good trade value, so that does kind of answer your question.

Regardless, I think that if worst comes to worst, we should let Flynn play and develop some trade value if we're eliminated. He played well in preseason and he only got a half-game chance to show himself so far, so who's to say he doesn't have trade value?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Where did I say lets trade Flynn? Where did I say Flynn has great trade value?

Stop making sh*t up. **** if you are going to just start fights by making st*t up. Nothing but a troll.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are both talking about different things and not understanding each other.

Neither of you are talking about trading Flynn, and it seems to me that both of you agree that Flynn has good potential.

So why the hell are you arguing?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are both talking about different things and not understanding each other.

Neither of you are talking about trading Flynn, and it seems to me that both of you agree that Flynn has good potential.

So why the hell are you arguing?

We worked it out over PM. so I think we are done arguing.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good, because, no offense, but it sounded like cuckoo talk.

:jester:

He took something I said differently than I meant it and it put us on different paths. Yeah it looked insane Im sure.

For the record I dont want Flynn traded (unless its for some price you couldnt turn down, Hi Oakland), but I dont think you can say he is garbage based off of a game Rodgers didnt do well in either. Just like I wouldnt call for Flynn to start over Rodgers if he did amazing. Kinda like the Kolb thing in Philly almost.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers confident Flynn has what it takes - JSOnline

a nice article written awhile ago about Flynn included in it are two quotes from different personal around the league

"If I was a GM and I needed a quarterback that's who I would go get," an executive in personnel for an NFL club said in unsolicited remarks in April. "I think he's the best backup in the league.
"Colt McCoy isn't as good as Flynn. In fact, if you threw him in, I'm not so sure that in two or three years he wouldn't be every bit as good as Tony Romo. Maybe better. They said he didn't have a big arm but all he did was win a national championship. He's smart and he's tough, and when he came out he was a high 4.6 guy."

and

"I wanted to draft him, but we didn't do anything about it," the scout said. "Look. That guy is the next Mark Brunell. They will get a high pick for him some day."

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol @ everyone giving up on Flynn already. I think with a full week of starters reps he will absolutely do better than Jay Cutler this week. I'm not giving up on Flynn at all. I think the guys got a lot of potential and I think he will look a lot better against NE.

Now our defense on the other hand....... not looking good.

Members online

Latest posts