1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Mason Crosby 2013

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Ogsponge, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    That doesn't surprise me since a kicker is the only one who can score when he gets the chance compared to a QB and the offense when there are plenty of choices on who gets it into the end zone.

To me it seems like they really reach for all sorts of stats and break it down in all sorts of crazy and overwhelming ways.
    I mean, what's next?
    Stats on how a player did wearing a certain brand of shoe laces?
    How about for numbers of gallons of Gatorade® the team consumes and compare that to each game?
    I wouldn't be surprised if they have stats based on how each and every player does on each yard marker.
    It gets crazy.

2. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +327
    You are spot on, I dug a little deeper with some what if scenarios as well.

Games in which a FG or FG's by Crosby that contributed to the win:

2007 - Sept. 9th 16-13 over the Eagles - Crosby kicks 3 field goals
    2007 - Oct. 14th 17-14 over the Redskins Crosby kicks 1 field goal
    2009 - Nov. 22nd 30-24 win of over the 49ers - Crosby kicks 3 field goals
    2010 - Oct. 31st 9-0 over the Jets - Crosby kicks 3 field goals
    2011 - Dec. 4th 38-35 win over the Giants - Crosby kicks a field goal - actual game ending field goal
    2012 - Dec 2nd 23-14 win over the Vikings - Crosby kicks 3 field goals
    2013 - Oct. 13th 19-17 win over the Vikings - Crosby kicks 4 field goals

Okay so, with crosby's field goals in the above games the Pack does not win and only 1 of those games was an actual last play game winning field goal

Games in which a missed FG or FG's by Crosby resulted in a loss:

2008 - Dec. 22nd 17-20 OT loss to the Bears - Crosby missed 2 field goals in regulation
    2009 - Dec. 29th 36-37 loss to the Steelers - Crosby missed 1 field goal - this was a game where the wonderful Packers defense allowed a 16 play 1:58 TD to end the game, but the missed field goal also would have won us the game
    2010 - Oct. 10th OT 13-16 loss to the Redskins - Crosby missed 2 field goals including a 53 yarder with 7 seconds left to play that would have won the game
    2012 - Oct. 7th loss to the colts - 27-30 - Crosby missed 2 field goals

Okay in all of the above had Crosby kicked 1 or both of the field goals he missed the Pack would have one the game and only 1 of these was an actual game ending miss that would have won us the game

As hardright mentioned, he has only ever actually had 2 actual last play, game ending attempts and is 1 for 2 on them.

Conclusion, the Packers are generally so good that there are not many actual game winning attempts for their kicker for which I am grateful because there is nothing more nerve wracking for me watching football that have to hope your field goal kicker makes a last second FG for the win.

3. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +327
    I would just like to say conrats to Crosby. He took a massive paycut but earned every penny of it back through incentives by having the best year of his career with an 89.2% FG completion rate which is the 2nd single best percentage in the history of the Green Bay Packs.

He was pretty much money this year and had some real long kicks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,549
    He had a good year; he finished 13th. in the league in %; MM kept him away from long kicks in the cold. It worked out...so far. His touch back % was poor as in 2011, but no-harm-no-foul.

Maybe there's an answer to the question here. In his two best FG % seasons he was poor in touch back %. Perhaps belting away on KOs messes with his stroke.

5. fanindaup

fanindaup Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    All I know is when I likened Crosby's struggles last year to a golfer's case of the shanks, found some statistical analysis which I think was done by Stanford which showed Crosby was one of the most underrated kickers in the league and promoted the idea of letting him prove himself all before the season began, I got pounced on by several forum readers (chiefly among them frank rizzo). I just want to say to all those detractors that it turns out I am not retarded.

6. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,042
    ;)Don't be saying that yet. You may have been right on this. Blind squirrel theory and all.
    The rest of the time?????:laugh:

7. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +360
    Hey, hey, lay off my fellow "yooper"!:devilish::devilish:

8. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Just wanted to bump this thread and remind everyone that our Mason went from Missen back to Mason this season.
    Even though he didn't hit any big yarders or clutch FGs in the 9ers playoff loss, at least he made all his FGs to keep us in the game.
    Many props to Mason for helping us out as much as he did this season and hopefully he is out of his slump once and for all as long as he is a Packer.

9. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    I will admit that I thought for sure he would gag on both of those kicks yesterday. I will admit he had a good year but even that is pretty amusing given that I'm considering it "good" based on his standards.

I have zero faith in that guy. You are correct, he's had almost no "pressure" kicks this year. The two yesterday were probably the biggest but there has not been many.

He has been PATHETIC on big kicks in his career and it kills me how short Packer's fan's memories are.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    What do you define as "big kicks?" The data does not appear support your conclusion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    Is this a joke? I hope? One of my biggest pet peeves in all of sports is this BS about Rodgers not being able to win big games. In 2006 ALONE Crosby missed three game winning field goals after Rodgers got him in position! I hope you are joking. (?) If not, like I said in another thread, I honestly think some Packer fans have the shortest memories of all sports fans. Crosby has been the worst kicker in the NFL to hold a job over the past 8 years and he's been the biggest gag artist to boot!!! C'mon...are you joking?

12. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    No - I'm not joking. Which games were they specifically?

Ogsponge put together a list of Crosby's critical kicks. I'm looking for something out of you other than conjecture.

13. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +149
    2006? Rodgers at QB, is your memory fuzzy or something, or is it your hatred of Crosby getting in the way.

gag artist, in 2011 Rodgers took the team down the field with less than a minute left and Mason kicked the game winning FG to keep the Pack undefeated at 13-0.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I'm looking at the present and the recent past. Meaning just this season alone.
    Haters gonna hate.

15. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +149
    Matter of fact after looking it up, Crsoby was drafted by the Packers in 2007 and all three of our losses that season were by 7 or more points, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

16. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,183
    Crosby was not asked to kick as many long FGs this season but he rebounded from a horrible year. I'm happy to say I was wrong about him: He avoided a slump and didn't experience the 'yips' that I was afraid would plague him.

NOMOFO, lucky one of your biggest pet peeves isn't misstating the year, the QB, and/or the facts. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    Given the kind of year the Pack had I'd say pretty much every point made was clutch. Heck, given the injuries on this team it's a miracle his leg didn't break off and go through the uprights!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    Crosby was asked to kick 7 FGs over 50 yards this season, second most next to his record 9 last year. However, this year he went 5 of 7 including a 57 yarder. For those of you (NOMOFO) who think that he sucks, consider this one as well:

Crosby is 100% on PATs in playoff games and 12 of 14 on FGs - a 85.7% career percentage in the playoffs. That's pretty clutch.

Interestingly Crosby attempted 37 FGs this season, second-most compared to his 39 FGs in 2007. He also attempted a career low 42 PATs, which shows that his leg was needed more this season as TD scoring was down. Ironically though, only 16 of his 37 attempts came during the 8-game stretch when Rodgers was out (includes Bears). He also only missed two FGs during that stretch and hit 3 from 50+....pretty good when needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,863
    Short memory or ability to be optimistic that a player can develop and become more reliable? I am in the later group.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +815
    He's following the exact same path Longwell took after his terrible 2001 season. I wouldn't worry about him at all.

21. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +815
    He's following the exact same path Longwell took after his terrible 2001 season. I wouldn't worry about him at all.

22. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    Great point. What's interesting about Longwell's 2001 season when he only hit 64.5% of his FGs is that his misses were largely in the 40-49 yard range where he went 7 of 14. At least Crosby's main problem was that he was missing from long range, 2 of 9 from 50+. For Crosby the perception that he sucked really grew from how badly he missed some of his kicks. There were several clunkers that looked terrible.

23. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    Correct... it was 2008 not 2006. My bad. In that season he shanked a game winner in Minn. He also had a game winner blocked in Chicago but the block was 100% on him as he almost hit his own blockers helmet on the kick and the Slocum came out and said as much. There was another kick he missed that season that cost us the game... wasn't to end the game but was late in the game. I wanna say maybe Atlanta in a close game?

Yes... he also missed a game winner against Washington in 2010 and his average on long kicks in his career is not good.

He's had issues with low kicks. The block against the Steelers was due to a low kick as well. There's probably a reason McCarthy is less likely to have him kick anything past 45 any more.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  24. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    That should be worth more than 3 points.
    Not that I'd wanna see it though.