Margus Hunt

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we had a discussion on this guy somewhere in the forum, but I couldn't find the right thread.

In any event, Hunt had one of the most impressive performances at the Combine: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/smus-margus-hunt-impresses-scouts-at-combine/

Tied for most reps on bench press (which shouldn't be a huge surprise given his shot-put and discuss background), but he also posted the third-fasted 40 for linemen at 4.6.

The more I read up on the guy, the more I want him with our first-round selection. 6-8, 277 and room to add to that frame. Clearly, a great athlete that's fast and strong. He could be exactly what we need at the DE position. I know some are concerned about him being a project, but I'm OK with that given his clear upside.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Yeah, that dude is a beast for sure. I would be ok with giving him a look at DE. He may not have been playing football for many years, but he seems to be a pure athlete. Heck, there have been other "raw" players emerge into some damn good talent. TE jimmy grahm from the saints was a basketball player before taking up football in college and we all know he is a pure athlete and a beast on the field.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy has Packer written all over him.
I just saw a 2-round mock at DraftCountdown and it had Hunt going to Atlanta in round 2, just one pick after us.
I would take him in a heartbeat in Rd 2, and I suspect he actually ends up being a 1st round pick.
Someone will think they can mold him into a JJ Watt type of force on the DL and he would appear to have a lot of system versatility.
I think he's going to be a LOT better than Jerel Worthy. Was very disappointed in Worthy, and then he went and tore his ACL on a play where he wasn't a factor on.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
One of the comments after the article asked, “anyone else see the clip of this guy getting driven back 20 yds off the ball at the senior bowl?” I didn’t see it but this is an example of how important - or not - the combine results are. On sports radio over the past couple of weeks I’ve heard this discussed a lot and of course it isn’t a new topic. One “expert” said combine results either confirm scouting reports or send scouts back to watch more tape on a player. He also said combine numbers sometimes are used to justify what turns out to be a bad scouting report. Another said he thought the combine accounts for about 15% of the evaluation on players, unless something unusual (bad) happens during the interview.

IMO more mistakes are made drafting workout warriors than players who excelled on the field in college. Obviously there’s no fool-proof evaluation system but I prefer the Packers emphasize players’ college production.

H

HardRightEdge

One of the comments after the article asked, “anyone else see the clip of this guy getting driven back 20 yds off the ball at the senior bowl?” I didn’t see it but this is an example of how important - or not - the combine results are. On sports radio over the past couple of weeks I’ve heard this discussed a lot and of course it isn’t a new topic. One “expert” said combine results either confirm scouting reports or send scouts back to watch more tape on a player. He also said combine numbers sometimes are used to justify what turns out to be a bad scouting report. Another said he thought the combine accounts for about 15% of the evaluation on players, unless something unusual (bad) happens during the interview.

IMO more mistakes are made drafting workout warriors than players who excelled on the field in college. Obviously there’s no fool-proof evaluation system but I prefer the Packers emphasize players’ college production.

The earlier Hunt discussion is under the "Draft" link toward the top of the forums list.

He broke out in his bowl game this past season...that's what put him on the map.

He's 26 years old. I'd look for him in the 2nd. round.

This picture came to mind of Capers working in some hybrid 3-4/4-3 nickel sets with Matthews standing up on one side and Hunt with his hand in the dirt on the other. When hell freezes over, I'd suppose, but a nice picture nonetheless.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This picture came to mind of Capers working in some hybrid 3-4/4-3 nickel sets with Matthews standing up on one side and Hunt with his hand in the dirt on the other. When hell freezes over, I'd suppose, but a nice picture nonetheless.

It could happen, if the right things fall into place. If we, for example, carried 7 linemen on the roster, perhaps they'd run a 3-3 nickel.

The 2-4 nickel is kind of a circular thing. They keep fewer linemen on the roster because they don't play many linemen. They don't play many linemen because they have a limited number of them on the roster.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's there in the second round i'd take him unless Tyrann Matheau is still on the board. I just like the way Matheau (honey badger) plays football and how comfortable he looks doing so. He can play corner or Safety and make plays all over the field. We used to have somebody like that so we need to find his replacement.

H

HardRightEdge

It could happen, if the right things fall into place. If we, for example, carried 7 linemen on the roster, perhaps they'd run a 3-3 nickel.

The 2-4 nickel is kind of a circular thing. They keep fewer linemen on the roster because they don't play many linemen. They don't play many linemen because they have a limited number of them on the roster.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think I've ever seen a Capers 4 man rush with a 7/9 technique with a hand in the dirt.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I don't think I've ever seen a Capers 4 man rush with a 7/9 technique with a hand in the dirt.

I don't think he'd ever have a 9 technique of any kind. Part of his philosophy, as I understand it, it not to get too wide to create natural running lanes. And while not his preference or scheme, he did call such alignments as you describe in Miami running Saban's defense, iirc.

I'd like to think if we suddenly ended up with the appropriate people, he'd make something like a 3-3 work. This guy is also big enough that he could grow into a "real" 3-4 end. In that case, no new alignment required.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The earlier Hunt discussion is under the "Draft" link toward the top of the forums list.

He broke out in his bowl game this past season...that's what put him on the map.

He's 26 years old. I'd look for him in the 2nd. round.

I googled him to find out what the deal is with his being 26 yrs. old- didn't come to America and start college until age 20 or 21. I doubt the age thing matters, given the relative lack of wear and tear. Draft him in the second round, and use him as a 2-way player - 3rd down pass rushing DE and short yardage TE. (Just kidding - well, mostly hahaha). For every J J Watt that comes along, there are a couple hundred freaky athletic raw projects who never turn into superstars.

Reaction score
Is Datone Jones the other "DE" guy that looks like a beast?
Anyone that can bring pressure up the middle - Have Clay and Perry from the edge - big guys up the middle - get some sacks with our 4 man rush (like in 2010) .

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tied for most reps on bench press (which shouldn't be a huge surprise given his shot-put and discuss background), but he also posted the third-fasted 40 for linemen at 4.6.
Disagree. He is at an extreme disadvantage in the bench press because he is so tall. He has to push the weight farther and the mechanics of longer arms is more difficult. Think about a 5'6" guy. If he has a thick chest, as most of these guys do, he has to push the bar a foot and his elbow is at an angle greater than 90 degrees. A 6'8" guy, his elbows start at a 30 degree angle and he has to push it up 2.5' above his chest.

As far as Combine goes - the measurables show the potential - the Senior bowl shows where they are now as a football player. Being strong and fast can make you a better player, now we just need to figure out if Hunt can learn, wants to learn, and has the mental toughness to be great. No doubt some coach is going to be certain he can harness this kids talent and take him to a high level. My thought is he goes right around the late 20s in this draft.

Couple of guys similar: Jason Pierre-Paul and Aaron Maybin. Both tested amazingly but were very raw. (also Bruce Irvin last year). JPP went on to be amazing Maybin disappeared quickly. Maybe we take a chance on greatness, but it is one of those high risk/high reward situations. And I think TT goes more conservative than that.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Once again, Hunt is nowhere near where JPP was in his development. The only thing Hunt has going for him other than his athleticism is that SMU runs a 34 where he already played strong side DE.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think he'd ever have a 9 technique of any kind. Part of his philosophy, as I understand it, it not to get too wide to create natural running lanes. And while not his preference or scheme, he did call such alignments as you describe in Miami running Saban's defense, iirc.

I'd like to think if we suddenly ended up with the appropriate people, he'd make something like a 3-3 work. This guy is also big enough that he could grow into a "real" 3-4 end. In that case, no new alignment required.

I'd be skeptical about the "growth" potential. This guy is evidently a weight room junkie already, and at age 26 he's past the point of a young still-maturing body. Not that I think he needs it with that reach and upper body strength. The bigger issue is consistent bend. He showed that in the Combine drills, however in college he'd stand up at the snap at times...that's a killer, especially for a guy with this high of a center of gravity. I have concerns about how he'd do at 3 technique in nickel working through garbage...he looks more like an edge guy...thus the "hand in the dirt hybrid" comment. With some minor technique improvement, he could be a very dangerous situational pass rusher to start off.

Let's just say this kind of size, reach, strength and burst is not hanging off trees.