Marco Rivera or Jerry Jones... who's lying?

ricky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In some of the papers lately, there was a story that Marco Rivera, after signing with Dallas for a $9 million signing bonus, and after injuring his back, talked with his wife, then walked into Jerry Jones office and offered to void his deal (including signing bonus). Jones refused, according to these reports. Therefore, we have two VERY honoraable people, all doing the "right thing." We have Rivera, a true Packer warrior and good citizen offering to return "ill-gotten gains." Then we have Jerry Jones, a true gentleman, refusing to go back on his written word.
Oops- when contacted in Hawaii at the owners meetings, Jones said he had no knowledge of any such meeting.
Which brings up a very interesting question: is some one lying? Rivera said he made the offer directly to Jones. Jones said he knows nothing of the offer.
The outcome? Blame the media! Rivera will claim he was "misquoted", and Jones will suddenly have a "recovered memory."
Oh well, I'm posting this wherever I can, because this is just too good to miss.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Where did you see this and why did Rivera offer to give it back?

I think he offered to give his bonus back because of his surgery. I'm not sure, I haven't found a valid source for this story yet.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's this? Another RUMOR? You're kidding? Right?
And to top that off - NO LINK...hmmmm - Go figure that....!

You could of at least stated you heard it on the Czaban Show (First Team on Fox) on the way into work, partner!

The "rest of us" will help you look for your link...

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that yesterday actually I think it was on cnnsi but I am not sure I will try and find a link. It basically said Rivera felt bad about signing a huge deal and getting injured offered to return the money and J. Jones refused.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THE NEWS

Rumors surfaced in Hawaii, the site of the NFL owners' meetings, that Cowboys guard Marco Rivera offered to return the $9 million signing bonus he received last month. The rumors began making the rounds after Rivera suffered a herniated disc just days after he signed with the team as a free agent. However, team owner Jerry Jones shot down the rumors on Thursday. "We haven't had any conversations about that," Jones told the Dallas Morning News. Rivera is expected to be sidelined for three-to-five weeks.

OUR VIEW

Why on earth would Marco or any other player entertain the idea of giving back a $9 million bonus after being injured while training for the upcoming season? If Rivera plays the entire year without aggravating the injury, most people will forget that it even occurred.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just glade it's not GB's problem anymore! Sure would have been nice to trade Marco and got something for him. Doing so before the 04-05 season would have helped the team determine if Tausch could play RG and Barry could play RT while we had Barry under contract. Likewise, it would have freed up some cap space for Def.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How outrageous would it be - to suddenly find out that Marco Rivera was done... finis', as they say! A quick trip to the Back Doctor and include a herniated disc for free... and BAM... no more football - especially at his weight, which could balloon if he's not careful once the NFL grind goes away....

"Dallas signs Marco --- Marco jumps off tall building in a single bound... oops, wait - this isn't Smallville --- aaaaah, my back! :says Marco"

Newspaper headline ----

DALLS COWBOYS FRONT LINE WRECKED
(....film at Eleven)

Just so ya know - I wish the best for the guy - but it would be gratifying to see Dallas waste some ching!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UPDATE ------

KFFL.com said:
Cowboys | Rivera Injury Update - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:16:49 -0800

Dallas Cowboys OG Marco Rivera (back) said his goal is to return to the field by the team's first minicamp session, which is scheduled for April 28-May 1, reports Mickey Spagnola of DallasCowboys.com. However, team doctors are not expected to rush Rivera back, so the rehab could be extended. Rivera recently underwent microdiscectomy surgery on his back, a procedure that typically takes eight weeks to heal.
He has already begun running on a treadmill.

Everybody okay now?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More on the same.......
same web page said:
Cowboys | Rivera Discusses Refund Comment - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:52:19 -0800

Dallas Cowboys OG Marco Rivera (back) said his initial reaction was to return his $9 million signing bonus when he found out that he'd need microdiscectomy surgery on his back following a workout injury suffered shortly after he signed a five-year, $20 million deal with the Cowboys, reports Mickey Spagnola of DallasCowboys.com. "That was my first thought," said Rivera. "I don't want to be a guy who signs with a team, collects a check and sits on the sideline. If I'm going to be there, I want to help win championships, or I'm out." Rivera eventually changed his mind after talking with team personnel.
Ya can't help but admire the guy!

Members online

Latest posts