Marc Trestman For O.C

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do fans feel about Trestman becoming the full time O.C. in 2017? Things didn't work out in Baltimore. However, a change of scenery and new blood for Packers could do everyone good.

Thoughts?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
By O.C., I assume you mean the Oversight Committee to find us a new punter? :coffee:

In all seriousness, I know Trestman is known throughout the league as having a brilliant offensive mind, but something tells me MM wouldn't like the competition. Reminds me a bit of Philbin, got in a little over his head trying to be a HC and will take some time re-acclimating to being an assistant.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By O.C., I assume you mean the Oversight Committee to find us a new punter? :coffee:

In all seriousness, I know Trestman is known throughout the league as having a brilliant offensive mind, but something tells me MM wouldn't like the competition. Reminds me a bit of Philbin, got in a little over his head trying to be a HC and will take some time re-acclimating to being an assistant.

I really didn't know much about Trestman prior to his Chicago gig other than his CFL stint so I checked on wiki and discovered that he has been involved in some pretty high powered offenses. how much of that was his doing I don't know but the output was there. The thing that surprised me the most however was this Trestman was dismissed after the Browns' third loss in the AFC Championship game in four years. Yup, the Browns in the AFC championship game 3 out of 4 years. Granted it was the late 80's but hey, I thought the last time the words Championship and Brown were together the latter had the name Jim in front of it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I really didn't know much about Trestman prior to his Chicago gig other than his CFL stint so I checked on wiki and discovered that he has been involved in some pretty high powered offenses.

I did the same :D Initially I kind of thought it was a crazy proposition, until I read some articles about Trestman and just how brilliant some think his offensive mind is. So I kind of get what the OP was saying. But knee jerk reaction is "no" when you see that he was just fired as the OC in Baltimore and the mess he was as HC in Chicago.

While a lot of people are dissatisfied with MM calling plays and Trestman might be better then Clement, I don't get the feeling that the Packers are looking to replace either on their offensive duties. But if the offense continues to sputter, who knows.

OP
OP
P

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Funny you mention Philbin. Wonder why we never thought about bringing him back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Funny you mention Philbin. Wonder why we never thought about bringing him back.
There was some talk of it, but many thought he may not want to come back to GB due to the painful loss of his son in 2012 as a result of a drowning accident in Oshkosh.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a disaster in both Chicago and Baltimore - Why on earth would Green Bay want him?

I think Trestman's time in the NFL is likely over for the foreseeable future. Coaches get fired all the time, but when you get dumped five weeks into the season, that's a bad look.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how in a couple weeks at this time last year, everyone was screaming for MM to take back the play calling :) I bet if we had an effective Driver and prime Jones, Jennings, emerging Jordy and Cobb, and Aaron looking more like him old self, things would be different, but they aren't coming back, and neither is Philbin

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers offense continues to struggle for the rest of the season I wouldn't mind bringing in a different offensive coordinator. In that case I would like the team to hire a younger coach than Trestman though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If the Packers offense continues to struggle for the rest of the season I wouldn't mind bringing in a different offensive coordinator. In that case I would like the team to hire a younger coach than Trestman though.
Doesn't matter who the OC is in title when MM is the de facto OC. It's his offense and his game plan and his play calling. OC is just a title handed out to keep promising assistants from leaving.

D

Deleted member 6794

Doesn't matter who the OC is in title when MM is the de facto OC. It's his offense and his game plan and his play calling. OC is just a title handed out to keep promising assistants from leaving.

You're right about that although if the offense continues to struggle this season it might be time for a change.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely not!

Last week in Baltimore's loss to the 'Skins West rushed for 8.6 yards/carry and Trestman abandoned the run for the pass ~ in a tight game! I think I'd have an aneurysm burst with THAT kind of moronic playcalling (as opposed to McCarthy's :eek:).

Guessing the original poster is single and really, really wants to meet Trestman's daughter, Chloe. ;)

Last edited:

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If by O.C., you mean Ontario, Canada then yes. The CFL will most likely be his home again.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While a lot of people are dissatisfied with MM calling plays and Trestman might be better then Clement, I don't get the feeling that the Packers are looking to replace either on their offensive duties. But if the offense continues to sputter, who knows.

MM is not going to give up the play calling again no matter who the OC is.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how in a couple weeks at this time last year, everyone was screaming for MM to take back the play calling :) I bet if we had an effective Driver and prime Jones, Jennings, emerging Jordy and Cobb, and Aaron looking more like him old self, things would be different, but they aren't coming back, and neither is Philbin

If we had Aaron looking like his old self we would be fine with everything else. I wouldn't say it isn't coming back but its been MIA for a while now and may be presumed dead.

Members online