Mad About The Game? Do Something About It...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's a ruling defining joint possession, why would there not be someone reviewing whether the rule was followed? By rule, it wasn't joint possession, if all the camera angles are accurate. That's the problem. If an ineligible receiver catches a TD pass, is it reviewable only as to whether it was caught? Or whether he was eligible to catch it? Same thing. Writing letters will allow people to blow off some steam, but these owners could care less what people say as long as ratings are up. And ratings will be sky high now with people looking for the latest outrageous call by the pee wee refs.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
While it appears that the Packers got hosed on the last play of the game, (appears hell, they got hosed) it really should not have come down to that. Anytime a team has to depend on a call by a ref, replacement or regular, to help determine the outcome of the game the problem lies deeper than that one play. In this case the refs made some bad calls during the game, on both sides. However, the coach of each team has the ability to make changes throughout the game. MM made none in the first half as I could see. How do you stop a pass rush play after play? You run the ball.

7 of Benson's 17 carries came in the first drive of the second half. He had 2 in the first half, so for the rest of the 2nd half he had 5. And in that first drive of the second half, while it stalled, the Packers moved the ball. Had MM tried and stuck with the run a bit in the first half I don't think there would have been 8 sacks.

So blame the refs, but one has to wonder about the play calling in the first half.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
While it appears that the Packers got hosed on the last play of the game, (appears hell, they got hosed) it really should not have come down to that. Anytime a team has to depend on a call by a ref, replacement or regular, to help determine the outcome of the game the problem lies deeper than that one play. In this case the refs made some bad calls during the game, on both sides. However, the coach of each team has the ability to make changes throughout the game. MM made none in the first half as I could see. How do you stop a pass rush play after play? You run the ball.

7 of Benson's 17 carries came in the first drive of the second half. He had 2 in the first half, so for the rest of the 2nd half he had 5. And in that first drive of the second half, while it stalled, the Packers moved the ball. Had MM tried and stuck with the run a bit in the first half I don't think there would have been 8 sacks.

So blame the refs, but one has to wonder about the play calling in the first half.

Agreed, they had 59 minutes to win this game---but shouldn't come down to a ref blowing a call...

Would be like a ump in baseball calling a home run when it clearly wasnt a home run and that cost someone a loss

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Agreed, they had 59 minutes to win this game---but shouldn't come down to a ref blowing a call...

Would be like a ump in baseball calling a home run when it clearly wasnt a home run and that cost someone a loss
The other day on another Packer forum, yeah I belong to several, I posted how to beat the Packers. Take away the long ball, get pressure on Rodgers and ignore the run. Exactly what the Hawks did the first half. They were coming on every play. I could see it in my living room, why couldn't the Packers see it? Remember Cobbs run in the first half? 20 yards, past pass rushing D lineman. Had the Packers had a few more rushes in the first half I don't think they would have had 8 sacks. And I don't think the game would have come down to the last play.

Opps, it's a passing league. BTW, the combined record of the top passers (per NFL.com) and their teams from last year, Brady, Brees, Romo, Rodgers and Stafford, so far this year 5-10.

Pen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While you're at it, put in a word for the Seahawks getting ripped off blatantly in Super Bowl XL.

Good luck with that.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Should not of come down to that, but it did, unfortunately. I agree with you about MM. Sometimes he seems to have his head in the clouds when things aren't working and for some reason he sticks to his game plan until finally after half time they make adjustments. I see that as one of MM's real shortcomings.

Another thing I'll add: I don't like the way that Rodgers is hanging onto the ball so much. Is he looking for the big play? Some of those sacks are on Rodgers for holding the ball too long. If nobody is open, then either scramble or throw the damn thing away. SOme bad decision-making on Rodgers' part.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The head ref from last nights game held a press conference this morning.

He didn't answer any questions though.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is an except from the PFT guys, stating that the play was reviewable and that ESPN's broadcast stated it incorrectly:

Make no mistake about it. This one could have been overturned. Rule 15, Section 9 makes the question of whether a pass was “ruled complete/incomplete/intercepted” subject to replay review, with no exception for questions of simultaneous possession.
Yeah, we know the ESPN call says simultaneous possession can’t be reviewed by replay. We disagree. If it wasn’t reviewable by replay, it wouldn’t have been reviewed by replay. It was, so it is. (The only aspect that isn’t reviewable is the question of whether Seahawks receiver Golden Tate pushed off before jumping, because pass interference is a judgment call.)

The rest of the brief column and explanation is here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ements-had-a-hand-in-last-nights-debacle-too/

Reaction score

MM made the changes the second half and our offense was able to move the ball and score. Bensons TD was legit. And Rodgers was hardly touched so the O Line finally woke up.

The problem was that was NOT a roughing the passer on Walden during our 'interception' play. That was NOT PI on shields that brought them to that part of the field in the first place. And that was NOT a fuking TD.

Seattle has always been determined by everyone in the league to be a loud and difficult place for a road team to play at. Our defense owned them and it was taken away from us. End of story.

If this game doesn't wake up the Packers to make them want to kill every team they play from here on out nothing will. This is their defining moment.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

True, but still an ***hole post. Doesn't change the fact that officials should make the right calls in order to maintain the integrity of the game being played.

Vladimirr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just left Mr. Goodell a voicemail:

Good morning, Commissioner Goodell. My name is <redacted>, part owner of the Green Bay Packers. I want to express my deep concern over last night's Monday Night Football game. The officiating makes me concerned about not only the integrity of the game, but also player safety, which we've been working tirelessly to improve. Please take the actions necessary to end the NFL officials' lockout, and restore order to the game we all love. Thank you.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Just left Mr. Goodell a voicemail:

Good morning, Commissioner Goodell. My name is <redacted>, part owner of the Green Bay Packers. I want to express my deep concern over last night's Monday Night Football game. The officiating makes me concerned about not only the integrity of the game, but also player safety, which we've been working tirelessly to improve. Please take the actions necessary to end the NFL officials' lockout, and restore order to the game we all love. Thank you.

I am sure he gives a rat's ***.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
True, but still an ***hole post. Doesn't change the fact that officials should make the right calls in order to maintain the integrity of the game being played.
Not sure why the truth makes it an ###hole post. You seem to forget that there were questionable call against the Hawks that kept Packers drives alive. One that stands out to me is the PI on Chancellor on a Packers 3rd and 2 that kept the drive alive that the Packers scored the TD on. The officials should make the right calls. But this is the third week into them and everyone knows they are making tons of mistakes. I'll stand by my statement that MM had just as much to do with the loss as the officials by not making changes in his game plan after the first two series in the first half.

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why the truth makes it an ###hole post. You seem to forget that there were questionable call against the Hawks that kept Packers drives alive. One that stands out to me is the PI on Chancellor on a Packers 3rd and 2 that kept the drive alive that the Packers scored the TD on. The officials should make the right calls. But this is the third week into them and everyone knows they are making tons of mistakes. I'll stand by my statement that MM had just as much to do with the loss as the officials by not making changes in his game plan after the first two series in the first half.

Football games, especially in the NFL, come down to 1 play all the time. What did Seattle do that they earned the win more than we did? Nothing, because they didn't earn it. We made a play necessary to win the game: they didn't. Yet, they walk away with a W. The rest of the game doesn't matter. Did we play great? No. But we did play well in the second half, and the defense was phenomenal the whole game. MM should have adjusted sooner, I agree. But the officials are MORE to blame because they gave the Seahawks an extra 7 points. MM and the team EARNED the win with their play in the 2nd half, but the refs stole it from them because they have no idea what they're doing.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Football games, especially in the NFL, come down to 1 play all the time. What did Seattle do that they earned the win more than we did? Nothing, because they didn't earn it. We made a play necessary to win the game: they didn't. Yet, they walk away with a W. The rest of the game doesn't matter. Did we play great? No. But we did play well in the second half, and the defense was phenomenal the whole game. MM should have adjusted sooner, I agree. But the officials are MORE to blame because they gave the Seahawks an extra 7 points. MM and the team EARNED the win with their play in the 2nd half, but the refs stole it from them because they have no idea what they're doing.
Actually NFL games are won on 6-10 key plays during the game. Not one. Change one facet earlier in the game and the Seahawks don't even have time to run that last play. Two runs in the 4th quarter by the Packers instead of two incomplete passes would have taken enough time off the clock. Every play matters. The Packers did not "earn" the win on that one play anymore than the Seahawks did.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
will the Saints game be boycotted or not ? if not, all this complaining is somewhat meaningless.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call Lance Easley and give him a piece of your mind. His DIRECT # is: 805-345-6529

Let us know if you call. And if he's yanked the # yet.

dmenace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously money trumps all cards. I propose a boycott of NFL Football. If you were thinking of attending a game and haven't yet purchased a ticket I would encourage you not to. If you have paid for NFL on your Dish, cancel it. Obviously season ticket holders gotta go to the game.
When it hits their wallets they will react. Money is the God Almighty to Rodger and the owners.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts