Lynch's back not sore spot

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Medical team says ailment no problem
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers cleared the final hurdle to a possible first-round selection of running back Marshawn Lynch when the team's medical staff signed off Friday on what has been described by National Football League club officials as a congenital disc abnormality in his lower back.

General manager Ted Thompson departed from his normal protocol of not inviting potential top picks to the team's facility in this case mainly because he wanted Lynch's back examined.

On Saturday, agent Doug Hendrickson indicated that, although it was his understanding no magnetic resonance imaging test was performed on Lynch, the Packers were satisfied and passed him on his physical.

"It was first reported at Cal back in '02," Hendrickson said Saturday. "No team is really concerned about it. All he does is exercises for it to strengthen it."

Lynch, a junior from the University of California, is a consensus pick as the No. 2 running back in the draft behind Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson. For months, he has been a popular projection for the Packers with their 16th overall selection.

Green Bay was the ninth and final team that Lynch visited this month. Others were Detroit (second pick), Cleveland (3), Atlanta (8), Buffalo (12), St. Louis (13), Tennessee (19), Kansas City (23) and Baltimore (29).

Officials from four of those teams told the Journal Sentinel after visits by Lynch that their medical staffs had cleared his back. A personnel director for an AFC team that met with Lynch visit said, "We checked it out and we're fine with it. It's like a disc. We gave him an MRI. He said he was able to do all his lifts and it hasn't precluded him from doing anything."

Lynch underwent an MRI at the combine in late February. Based on those findings, another personnel director said he would be off his board. That team reversed its conclusions after a visit in which its doctors performed their own tests.

"I know that there's some teams that will red-flag him," one NFC executive said. "But I don't know that it will (prompt) a lot of teams from staying away from him."

In college, Lynch has been able to play through his back problems.

Lynch arrived in Green Bay on Thursday after a visit in Buffalo and spent most of Friday with the Packers. It was the final day for visits by draft-eligible players.

"I talked to Ted Thompson Friday," Hendrickson said. "He said everyone in the organization was very impressed by him. Obviously, they'd love to have him as a Packer. I've known Ted for a long time and he's always very forthright."

Lynch, according to the agent, met with Thompson, coach Mike McCarthy, running backs Edgar Bennett and many others, including former teammate Aaron Rodgers.

"If he was chosen by Green Bay, he'd love it," Hendrickson said. "Kind of in the back of his mind he's kind of always thought he's going to Green Bay. He grew up in Oakland and hasn't been to a lot of places. He kind of is a home-body. He obviously loves the tradition of Green Bay."

After meeting Lynch during visits, two personnel men from different teams offered similar appraisals.

"He was fine," one scout said. "He's from Oakland and he's got an Oakland personality. But he came off as a good kid and very personable."

"He's proud of his heritage," said another scout. "There's no phoniness about him. The kid's OK."

Clearly, the Packers must get a running back to join Vernand Morency. Besides Lynch, their best options would be trading up for Peterson or taking a runner with picks in the second (No. 47) or third rounds (No. 78).

On Saturday, Peterson said he hadn't thought much about playing for the Packers but wouldn't rule out the possibility of that occurring.

"They definitely have a need for a running back," Peterson said. "I really don't know too much if they're going to try to trade up for a back. I knew they had some interest in Marshawn Lynch."

Peterson's visits were to Detroit (2), Cleveland (3), Tampa Bay (4), Washington (6), Minnesota (7) and Atlanta (8).

Each team is permitted to bring 30 players to town for visits but, unlike some teams, the Packers announce nothing. Other than Lynch, the only other first-day player known to have visited was Eric Wright of Nevada-Las Vegas, a cornerback regarded as a major character risk by many teams.

Among players saying they had not visited Green Bay were tight end Greg Olsen of Miami; running back Michael Bush of Louisville; defensive linemen Jamaal Anderson of Arkansas, Adam Carriker of Nebraska, Justin Harrell of Tennessee and Alan Branch of Michigan; linebacker Patrick Willis of Mississippi; and cornerback Darrelle Revis of Pittsburgh.

"Some teams do a lot of visits, some do a few and some do none," said Olsen, adding he wouldn't be shocked to be taken as high as 16th. "If they feel they met a guy and know enough about him, and he doesn't have any injuries, I guess they don't feel they have to bring them in to waste one of their spots."

In 2005, Willis' position coach was Shawn Slocum, now the Packers' assistant special teams coach.

"He really wishes I can get up there," Willis said. "He said people talk about me all the time there."

If the Packers remain at No. 16 and Lynch isn't their choice, they could select one from a sizable group of players.

Even now, six days before the draft, there appear to be just six players that have no chance to reach the 16th pick: wide receiver Calvin Johnson of Georgia Tech, tackle Joe Thomas of Wisconsin, quarterback JaMarcus Russell of Louisiana State, defensive end Gaines Adams of Clemson, safety LaRon Landry of LSU and Peterson.

Olsen, the only deep threat at tight end, surely would interest them. So could wide receivers such as Ted Ginn Jr. of Ohio State, Robert Meachem of Tennessee and Dwayne Bowe of LSU. And what if Penn State tackle Levi Brown slips?

On defense, linemen such as Louisville's Amobi Okoye, Anderson, Carriker, Harrell and Branch certainly would have appeal.

The Packers could possible field the finest linebacking corps in the league with the pick of Willis, Penn State's Paul Posluszny, Miami's Jon Beason or Florida State's Lawrence Timmons. All four are better athletically than Brady Poppinga.

In the secondary, cornerbacks Leon Hall of Michigan, Aaron Ross of Texas A&M and Revis would fill a need. And safeties Reggie Nelson of Florida, Brandon Meriweather of Miami and Michael Griffin of Texas would start immediately.

In all, the Packers have nine selections, including two extra in the seventh round: one compensatory and one from the New York Jets for tackle Steve Morley.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Finally found something that proves there is something to his back issues. Regardless of his back, I still don't want him picked.

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yep, i would rather take a saftey like nelson or some other position in the first ( i know i have posted this a 100 times)

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an "expert" on back problems, I would avoid any player who even had a hint of one. I know that sounds narrow-minded but the back is SO fragile and so conducive to failure with the contact in football, that I would never take chances with it. It's debilitating to the nth degree. You don't learn to play with that problem. I'm surprised the Packers didn't do the MRI on him. Maybe they had enough info from others.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think TT is picking Lynch. He never brings in the players he wants to pick, and i think most of this is posturing so that it looks like we are happy with lynch at 16.

then he plans on trading down and getting more picks so we can pick up a RB and S in the second.

Draft TE. in the first
Draft RB and S in the second with aquired pick.

thats my opinion... and if it turned out right.. we could possibly add.

Greg Olson
Pittman, Bush, Leonard
Aaron Rouse.

id be happy with all that.

cheesy4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noway dont draft olsen in the 1st he is not good enough i believe zach miller will be better. we should grab either Maechem, Bowe, lynch or maybe ted ginn Jr in that order for the first. the 2nd round looks good tho

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a high enough possibility of Murphy type injury to the lower back that Lynch should not be the Packers selection.

While there are roster spots the Packers can upgrade I personally have no favorites that I hope the Packers draft. I view this draft class not being that good with the exception of the high number of OT's projected to be first day picks.

The Packers will be a better team next week. I hope all goes well.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Murphy's injury revealed a preexisting condition that makes it too dangerous to play football? I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a chance of that happening here. If they saw the same physiological problem he wouldn't just be "dropping" a little, he'd be free fall plummeting.

I personally started out liking the Lynch pick, and then I cooled on him a lot over a couple of weeks (to the point that he was my least favorite option at 16), and now I've realized I overanalyzed him and I'd be happy with him in the 1st. I don't know if it's going to happen though. There are so many ways we could go, including trading down.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts