Looks like TT..

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Just because a trade happened, doesn't mean the Packers had a chance to get that player. It also does not mean the Packers did not try to get that player.

OP
OP
T

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero,

We also don't know if TT sat on his hands all day, and looked out his window, or played "Madden" for 12 hours on his computer. Don't you think we should be hearing something coming from his office about what might be going on?

You also forgot to mention the familiar arguments...

"He's too expensive and TT should not throw money away at an overpriced, over-hyped, marquee talent", or "He's washed up and not a premiere player--so TT should not throw money at him".....

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Zero,

We also don't know if TT sat on his hands all day, and looked out his window, or played "Madden" for 12 hours on his computer. Don't you think we should be hearing something coming from his office about what might be going on?

You also forgot to mention the familiar arguments...

"He's too expensive and TT should not throw money away at an overpriced, over-hyped, marquee talent", and "He's washed up and not a premiere player--so TT should not throw money at him".....

First of all I am in no position to defend Ted. I'm still upset/disappointed at the DECISION to not resign Wahle and/or Rivera. I'm not saying they would have made us a Super Bowl team. I'm just disappointed in the decision.

Second. I'm not making an argument nor do I care to do so. I didn't say he was too expensive or anything of that nature.

We don't know what is going on behind closed doors. So why chastise someone for something we don't know? That (personally) seems awfully idiotic. Don't get your ******* in a bunch. I'm not saying YOU are idiotic. I'm saying. Again. Faulting someone for not doing something you have zero knowledge of, is idiotic.

Also, let's wait and see if Donte is even worth the trade. He might be worse than Ferguson.

If its known that Ted didn't make any attempt once so ever. A, find out his reasons. B, slap him if the player turns out to be good vs the player we would have lost for said player.

OP
OP
T

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok Zero..

I wasn't saying that you would make those arguments/excuses. It's just certain factions here make them all the time.

The bottom line though is the fact that the Eagles signed him and TT didn't. He is definitely better than Ferguson having 70 catches last year and almost 1,000 yards for the Saints. Imagine what Brett could do with him.

Also, if somebody else signs Deion Branch besides New England, then TT got beat out there too.

The bottom line for a GM is to bring in and sign FA talent that will help your football team. I don't see much of a sign of this quality in TT.

Are there ways to find out what TT's thinking was, or if he was even thinking about it, or planning to make a move, or making moves? Maybe we'll never know.

But the bottom line is that the Eagles signed him and the Packers didn't, and he definitely would have helped the team this year!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It was a trade, not a sign. Do you know all that is involved with a trade? For instance. Team A could want to dump Player A for Player B who is on Team B. The player could have a no trade clause in his contract as well if its to a team he does not wish to play for.

There are too many 'ifs' going on here to put all the blame on one person. That's foolish.

I want to hear about us going for Deion Branch. If thats a decision the Packers chose to take to avoid, I'm not gonna be happy. To me, that then is not doing what is best for the team.

When you have a weakness on your team and have a player who could possibly be taken and don't even try. That's wrong.

Keep in mind, the Patriots have a hefty demand for Deion Branch as well.

A trade can only happen if both parties agree. I think that aspect, well its obvious that aspect of this Donte transaction has been severely overlooked.

OP
OP
T

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i assume that TT's allowed to talk trade with other teams, and offer players in trade for talent that is on the block..no?

Did he even think about it, or try?

Wouldn't you like to know as well?

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, TT just made another major move to improve the team today by signing a waived UFA kicker from Philly. My God, what more do you guys expect from this guy????

Besides, it took a player and a 4th round draft pick to get Stallworth. The player is inconsequential (at least on our roster) but TT can turn that 4th rounder into twelve or thirteen 6th & 7th round draft picks next year. That's huge.

OP
OP
T

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
Hey, TT just made another major move to improve the team today by signing a waived UFA kicker from Philly. My God, what more do you guys expect from this guy????

Besides, it took a player and a 4th round draft pick to get Stallworth. The player is inconsequential (at least on our roster) but TT can turn that 4th rounder into twelve or thirteen 6th & 7th round draft picks next year. That's huge.

You're joking right. This post is meant to be ironic, isn't it?

Because if it's not that has to be the funniest thing I ever heard.....hahahahahaha..

We all saw how good TT was on draft day...he took an all-pro WR in Javon Walker and gave him to Denver for a back-up left Tackle--that's huge!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
i assume that TT's allowed to talk trade with other teams, and offer players in trade for talent that is on the block..no?

Did he even think about it, or try?

Wouldn't you like to know as well?

Hell yea I want to know. But I'm not ignorant enough to believe that because I didn't catch wind of it that it didn't happen or that he's not trying.

When I first heard of the Donte trade I saying to myself 'wtf why didnt we make this trade'. Truth is, I don't have the answers. All I know is I can't hold it against the Packers for not doing something they may not have even had the chance to.

Maybe the Saints had a hardon for that player and were dead set on that player. I don't know. They could have a crappy GM and refused to take our offer of (THIS IS NOT ACTUAL THIS IS SAID FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSE ONLY) a 6th round pick and Robert Ferguson in trade for Donte Stallworth.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should trade draft picks to get proven players. They're worth more to other teams than they are to us. They can really pick them and we can't.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFaninBucLand said:
We should trade draft picks to get proven players. They're worth more to other teams than they are to us. They can really pick them and we can't.

I don't think it's fair to say that. TT got one starter out of his eleven picks last year. That's pretty good, isn't it?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has Stallworth ever done in this league? I can understand Branch but Stallworth is nothing special. Another underachiever just like Robert Ferguson.

OP
OP
T

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero:

Donte Stallworth

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

2002 New Orleans Saints 13 7 42 594 14.1 57 8 11 2 26
2003 New Orleans Saints 11 3 25 485 19.4 76 3 6 3 19
2004 New Orleans Saints 16 10 58 767 13.2 45 5 13 1 35
2005 New Orleans Saints 16 13 70 945 13.5 43 7 16 1 50
TOTAL 56 33 195 2791 14.3 76 23 46 7 130

I don't know, doesn't seem too bad in '04 and '05 and looks like he's on the rise. Just 55 yards away from 1,000 last year.

I haven't compared them, but i'm pretty sure they're better than Fergie's numbers....

Wasn't these available in Madden, or something?

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teddy is gun shy, he can't seem to pull the trigger on free agent signings or trades.
But he is good at hoarding money and late round draft picks.
To heck with trying to improve the Green Bay Packers.

packerfanfourever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.465151+-
I do agree that he does seem to be gun shy about pulling the trigger, I wonder if he made any attempt for stallworth, not the best wide reciever out their but a better option over gardner and fergerson. To me its just so damn quit over at 1265. I do remember TT did say he wasn't done yet but he had better do something soon because the season is almost here.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at some point Ted Thompson has to be held accountable.

1) For the coaching staff because he fired the old one including Jim Bates(900K this year) the packer bottom line is affected by paying multiple coaching staffs.
2) The departure of players without getting value. Wahle, Sharper, Roman, Thomas, Longwell were all starters that not only have not been adequately replaced but nothing was obtained in exchange. Several back up players as well.
3) The drafts. 2005 1st round player and one of the second rounders have no production while the 3rd round was traded away. The production of the other draft picks has yet to been demonstrated.
4) Few of the players acquired by Sherman remain. Over 50% of the players are Thompson acquired. Blaming the former GM is no longer valid. There is cap room.
5) Winning games. The 4 years proceeding Ted Thompson's arrival the Packers were a contender reaching the playoffs. Since his arrival they have only won 25% of their games. Changing the coaching staff this year has the team winning 33% of their games.

It is time for some light and heat to be applied to Ted Thompson in order to at least get him recognize he is responsible to win first and foremost. All other considerations are secondary.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all you can't GET something for something you don't own and you don't own FA's. Wahle, for one, was a FA when TT got here.

Secondly, not signing adequate replacements for players lost has been going on for five years around here and resigning Kampman and Green and signing Woodson, Pickett, Allen, and the other guys ARE moves to replace Grady, Digg's, etc. and hold onto the guys we want to keep.

The Saints obviously wanted a LB in exchange for Stallworth. What were we going to do trade Barnett or Hawk for the guy? I doubt N.O would have looked at Hodge or Poppy or Manning in exhange.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donte Stallworth

Year G GS No Yards TD

2002 13 7 42 594 8
2003 11 3 25 485 3
2004 16 10 58 767 5
2005 16 13 70 945 7
TOTAL 56 33 195 2791 23

Ferguson
2002 16 1 22 293 3
2003 15 12 38 520 4
2004 13 5 24 367 1
2005 11 7 27 366 3
TOTAL 55 25 111 1546 11

While the numbers show that Stallworth is superior to Ferguson, if one takes into account these factors:
1. Ferguson less games last 2 years due to the head injury;
2. Stallworth is nursing a hamstring injury that has severely limited him this pre-season;
3. Stallworth is in the final year of his contract;
4. The Eagles had to give up a player and 3rd round draft choice, and;,
5. We do not know that trade discussions were not held.

I find it difficult to slam TT for not getting this player. However, as I noted previously we need to upgrade or solidify WR, RB, Interior OL for this team to legitimately contend for NFC North and it would behoove Ted to look at all available options.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Before T.T. goes to bed each night he reads this forum.

This forum and some of you scare the Be-Jesus out of T.T.

You have him frozen in fear, and he just can not make a move.

All of this is your fault.

R.P.

hahahahahahha nice

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
First of all you can't GET something for something you don't own and you don't own FA's. Wahle, for one, was a FA when TT got here.

If I'm not mistaken Wahle was still under contract for another year and was simply released by TT instead of paying him a significant roster bonus that was written into his contract. TT could have kept him by restructuring the contract or by paying the roster bonus. It appears he didn't try to do either.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
warhawk said:

If I'm not mistaken Wahle was still under contract for another year and was simply released by TT instead of paying him a significant roster bonus that was written into his contract. TT could have kept him by restructuring the contract or by paying the roster bonus. It appears he didn't try to do either.

You are correct Lare about Wahle being under contract, Wahle was under contract with an enorumous cap number. We have beat to death, in this forum, TT's perceived lack of accountability for not redoing Wahle's contract. What we always as a forum, neglect to discuss thoroughly is the feasibility of redoing the contract.

To do this one must go back to that time period without knowlege of the salary cap increases that occurred this year! In hingsight it is a no brainer that Wahle should have been resigned. At the time of his release backloading yet another contract, to me, seemed irresponsible, to others on this forum, it should have been automatic.

What I do know is that we now have control of our cap situation, and as a conservative person, I am very happy about that. As a Packer fan, I still wish we had Wahle.