Looks like TT..

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
warhawk said:
First of all you can't GET something for something you don't own and you don't own FA's. Wahle, for one, was a FA when TT got here.

If I'm not mistaken Wahle was still under contract for another year and was simply released by TT instead of paying him a significant roster bonus that was written into his contract. TT could have kept him by restructuring the contract or by paying the roster bonus. It appears he didn't try to do either.

Why would you throw facts into this argument. It sounds better to say he was a free agent. Wahle was willing to restructure his contract but TT didn't even approach him about it.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he bottom line is that ANY player can be signed...almost regardless of the numbers. But...the piper must be paid at some point. San Fran and Dallas are but two examples of sturcturing the books to make heavy investments now at the expense of the future. Both teams went through protracted down times because of the state they were left in from having done so.

It is just a matter of what you are willing to pay...and when.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The numbers are nothing special. I didn't know he had that good of a year last year but it's still nothing that would get my hopes up on the receivers. Gardner had a 1,000 yard year before and your not sending him any praise for it. I really don't see Stallworth as an upgrade over what we have. Maybe a minor one but he's certainly not a difference maker.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
The numbers are nothing special. I didn't know he had that good of a year last year but it's still nothing that would get my hopes up on the receivers. Gardner had a 1,000 yard year before and your not sending him any praise for it. I really don't see Stallworth as an upgrade over what we have. Maybe a minor one but he's certainly not a difference maker.

I guess that was the point I was making. If he would have come cheaper than a 3rd and player, maybe. But he does not seem like a huge upgrade, rahter a very high draft choice who has not lived up to expectations.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo62 said:
porky88 said:

I guess that was the point I was making. If he would have come cheaper than a 3rd and player, maybe. But he does not seem like a huge upgrade, rahter a very high draft choice who has not lived up to expectations.

That's exactly what he is. He's another Ashley Lelie. Another Robert Ferguson. Another Rod Gardner. Another underachiever. He's no difference maker.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bad for the misquote of Wahle as a FA. My point, however, remains the same. TT has been much more active in '06 since the money got right, yet, hasn't blown the future.

The deal for Stallworth involved a trade for LB that we didn't have to offer. When a team is willing to trade player for player you need to have that player the other team wants to be able to get in the mix.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
My bad for the misquote of Wahle as a FA. My point, however, remains the same. TT has been much more active in '06 since the money got right, yet, hasn't blown the future.

The deal for Stallworth involved a trade for LB that we didn't have to offer. When a team is willing to trade player for player you need to have that player the other team wants to be able to get in the mix.

If we don't have a LB of Simomeau's ability that we can spare then we might as well throw up the white flag. I'm not that upset about the Stallworth thing but we've let others go by. sometimes you gotta take a chance.

OP
OP
T

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
The Eagles had to give up a player and 3rd round draft choice,

He was not worth this trade.

I'm glad the Packers did not make this trade for Donte.

Because TT didn't do it, right Zero. Then it's automatically the right thing.

He's you superhero, isn't he?

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
You are correct Lare about Wahle being under contract, Wahle was under contract with an enorumous cap number. We have beat to death, in this forum, TT's perceived lack of accountability for not redoing Wahle's contract. What we always as a forum, neglect to discuss thoroughly is the feasibility of redoing the contract.

To do this one must go back to that time period without knowlege of the salary cap increases that occurred this year! In hingsight it is a no brainer that Wahle should have been resigned. At the time of his release backloading yet another contract, to me, seemed irresponsible, to others on this forum, it should have been automatic.

What I do know is that we now have control of our cap situation, and as a conservative person, I am very happy about that. As a Packer fan, I still wish we had Wahle.

Actually, I'm probably one of the few people who will admit that I wasn't in favor of restructuring Wahle's contract at the time and am still not today. Yes, Wahle was a very good player but MS had decided to stick his money in the OT positions and to devote that much more money to the OL probably wasn't prudent factoring in how much Wahle wanted (and got).

But I do believe there were better options out there than what TT has brought in the last two years, this year especially with all the money he had (and still has) to spend.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Zero2Cool said:
The Eagles had to give up a player and 3rd round draft choice,

He was not worth this trade.

I'm glad the Packers did not make this trade for Donte.

Because TT didn't do it, right Zero. Then it's automatically the right thing.

He's you superhero, isn't he?

Please stop baiting me. If you wish to argue, please, go to the Smack Area and find someone who will bite.

If it wasn't obvious enough. The reason I am saying I am glad the Packers did not make this trade was because of the loss of a 3rd rd draft pick plus a player. That is a 3rd rd pick too much for a WR who I believe is not all that talented. I love the guys speed, but I think we could use that 3rd rd pick more adequately in the draft.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it was a 4th round pick. So imagine Green Bay giving Poppinga and a 4th for Stallworth.

I don't think it'd be worth it. I just don't think you get much out of Stallworth. He's another young underachieving WR that probably won't get the job done. It'd be one thing if he was a huge upgrade but he's not.

OP
OP
T

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
spardo62 said:
porky88 said:

That's exactly what he is. He's another Ashley Lelie. Another Robert Ferguson. Another Rod Gardner. Another underachiever. He's no difference maker.

Donte Stallworth

Year G GS No Yards TD

2002 13 7 42 594 8
2003 11 3 25 485 3
2004 16 10 58 767 5
2005 16 13 70 945 7
TOTAL 56 33 195 2791 23

Ferguson
2002 16 1 22 293 3
2003 15 12 38 520 4
2004 13 5 24 367 1
2005 11 7 27 366 3
TOTAL 55 25 111 1546 11

Porky,

He's DEFINITELY better than Robert Ferguson. And he's a burner, so Favre would have a deep threat. Also, I would venture to bet he's better than Gardner as well. I guess we'll just have to watch what Donovan McNabb and the Eagles do with him because he's not available. And yeah..he'd be an UPGRADE.

But you can't deny the fact that the Pack has a big problem at WR, and TT has yet do anything to rectify it!

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We already have Donte Stallworth, he is on the practice field in Green Bay wearing Ron Gardner's uniform :rotflmao:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I believe it was a 4th round pick. So imagine Green Bay giving Poppinga and a 4th for Stallworth.

I don't think it'd be worth it. I just don't think you get much out of Stallworth. He's another young underachieving WR that probably won't get the job done. It'd be one thing if he was a huge upgrade but he's not.

Yeah.

I thought it was player for player, straight up. When I found out there was a pick invovled I completely seen why the Packers avoided this trade.

Smart move on the Packers front. Unless Donte ****** it up on the field lol

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More like Ben Taylor and a 4th round pick not Poppinga. Simineau is washed up ala Taylor. BTW.....that 4th rounder could become a third rounder depending on playing time.

OP
OP
T

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jhensiak said:
We already have Donte Stallworth, he is on the practice field in Green Bay wearing Ron Gardner's uniform :rotflmao:

Yeah? Unfortunately we got someone wearing Robert Ferguson's uniform on the practice field as well, funny guy.

I bet you Stallworth lights it up in Phila. this year!

Zero said,
I thought it was player for player, straight up. When I found out there was a pick invovled I completely seen why the Packers avoided this trade.

Smart move on the Packers front

Why, do we need another back-up tackle? Maybe a punter? You treat these draft picks like they represent future pro-bowl players. That hasn't been TT's track history, unfortunately.

Does that go for Branch too Zero.

Man, you guys will defend TT at any cost. I hope you're right. We'll see what he does in Philly then, right?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the point of this thread is that every time there is a trade or signing involving a mediocre player (which is all that Stallworth is), it can be used as an excuse to rip Ted Thompson. Boy, this is going to be a long season on the Packer Forum.

I am intrigued by the ongoing discussion of Wahle and Rivera, however. That is a subject that I just can't get enough of. In fact, I think this forum should be devoted entirely to lengthy debates about whether Ted Thompson should have signed Wahle and Rivera.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't ne to make any trades and part ways with their draft picks. TT believes in building his team through the draft. period. If we can stay healthy, let's see what happens. Plus we can't trade draft picks, b/c they might be very high picks, if the Packers play like they did against the bengals all year long.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
porky88 said:
spardo62 said:
porky88 said:

Donte Stallworth

Year G GS No Yards TD

2002 13 7 42 594 8
2003 11 3 25 485 3
2004 16 10 58 767 5
2005 16 13 70 945 7
TOTAL 56 33 195 2791 23

Ferguson
2002 16 1 22 293 3
2003 15 12 38 520 4
2004 13 5 24 367 1
2005 11 7 27 366 3
TOTAL 55 25 111 1546 11

Porky,

He's DEFINITELY better than Robert Ferguson. And he's a burner, so Favre would have a deep threat. Also, I would venture to bet he's better than Gardner as well. I guess we'll just have to watch what Donovan McNabb and the Eagles do with him because he's not available. And yeah..he'd be an UPGRADE.

But you can't deny the fact that the Pack has a big problem at WR, and TT has yet do anything to rectify it!

He is a burner that has been battling hamstring problems all during training camp, not a good sign. While I agree that he would be better than Gardner or Ferguson. I do not think he would have been worth a 3rd and player.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
porky88 said:
spardo62 said:
porky88 said:

Donte Stallworth

Year G GS No Yards TD

2002 13 7 42 594 8
2003 11 3 25 485 3
2004 16 10 58 767 5
2005 16 13 70 945 7
TOTAL 56 33 195 2791 23

Ferguson
2002 16 1 22 293 3
2003 15 12 38 520 4
2004 13 5 24 367 1
2005 11 7 27 366 3
TOTAL 55 25 111 1546 11

Porky,

I'm not denying anything about the receivers but I'm not going to give up Poppinga and a 4th for Stallworth. What are so great about his numbers? He had one real solid year and that was most of the year as the teams #1 because Joe Horn was hurt. He's an underachiever that probably wouldn't be a difference maker in Green Bay. Picking up Stallworth wouldn't make this team any better.

The Saints aren't exactly deep at WR and they let him go for a 4th and a LB.

Members online

Latest posts