Cheesehead
Reaction score
you may just be out of luck.

According to the Philadelphia Daily News:

Count on a lean list of free agents in NFL's offseason
By Paul Domowitch

Philadelphia Daily News

(MCT)

PHILADELPHIA - The early reviews of the 2007 free-agent crop aren't very glowing.

The general consensus of scouts is that it's the leanest crop in years, and is only going to get leaner as teams re-sign many of their players in the days and weeks leading up to the start of the free-agent signing period in early March.

The salary cap is going to be jumping from $102 million to $109 million. So, plenty of teams will have ample spending money. The problem is there's just not much to spend it on, although that probably won't stop some teams.

"It's really bad," one AFC personnel director said of the crop of free agents. "And it's going to get worse as teams sign their own guys. This is one of the worst classes I've seen in a long time.

"You do have some guys with voidables (in their contracts). There are more appealing names on the voidable list than there are on the free-agent list."

The list of players with voidable options in their contracts who could become free agents include defensive ends Patrick Kerney (Falcons) and Dwight Freeney (Colts), linebacker Donnie Edwards (Chargers) and tight ends Tony Gonzalez (Chiefs) and Jeremy Shockey (Giants). In all likelihood, most, if not all, will be re-signed by their clubs.

If you're hoping the Eagles will sign some blue-chip free agents, fuhgeddaboudit. Most of the positions they'd be interested in don't have many quality players available. Plus, they are projected to have just $12.4 million in cap space, the eighth lowest in the league.

Outside linebacker? Well, there are the Bears' Lance Briggs, the Colts' Cato June, the Ravens' Adalius Thomas and nobody else who's going to beat out Omar Gaither or Chris Gocong next year. No one expects the Bears to let Briggs get away. Same with the Colts and June. Thomas is a 3-4 linebacker who wouldn't fit Jim Johnson's scheme unless it was as a pass-rushing end.

Wide receiver? You'd better hope they re-sign Donte Stallworth. If they don't, the best of what's out there right now is the Rams' Kevin Curtis, the Titans' Drew Bennett and the Seahawks' Bobby Engram. None is a No. 1 wideout. The 6-5 Bennett would be nice to have, but considering that the Titans are going to have $36 million in cap space, chances are he'll be staying put.

A cornerback to replace Rod Hood or even challenge Sheldon Brown for a starting spot? The Bills' Nate Clements is one of the best corners in the league. But it's unfathomable to think the fast-improving Bills, who are projected to have $39.7 million in cap space, will let him make it to free agency. After him, there are the Patriots' Asante Samuel and, well, Hood. The best move the Eagles could make here, short of convincing Hood that life as a well-paid nickel back on a winning team ain't half bad, is to re-sign William James and hope he can return to the level he was at with the Giants before his back injury.

A strong safety to push/replace Sean Considine? Let's put it this way: The guy who Considine replaced, Michael Lewis, right now is considered the top free-agent-to-be strong safety by most of the scouts I polled. After him, there are the Raiders' Derrick Gibson, the Vikings' Tank Williams, the Bills' Coy Wire and the Titans' Donnie Nickey. Anybody there float your boat? Didn't think so.

A defensive end to add to a four-man rotation after they wave bye-bye to Jerome McDougle and probably lose Juqua Thomas? The Bengals' Justin Smith would be a nice get, but Cincinnati is expected to re-sign him. The Rams' Leonard Little is a pass-rushing machine. But he has more baggage than US Airways' lost-luggage department. The Lions' Cory Redding could play inside or outside. But he also is expected to be re-signed.

A run-stuffing defensive tackle to rotate with first-rounders Mike Patterson and Brodrick Bunkley? There's the Bears' Ian Scott and then a lot of functional guys who wouldn't even merit a signing news conference.

A big running back to rotate with Brian Westbrook and Correll Buckhalter? The Ravens' Musa Smith, who has just 36 carries this season, is an untapped talent. The Titans' Chris Brown is interesting. Others who are scheduled to be free agents: the Packers' Ahman Green, the Texans' Ron Dayne, the Colts' Dominic Rhodes, and the Steelers' Najeh Davenport.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess its a good thing we got 'tightwad ted' who gets unknowns like morency,gado, and PATRICK DENDY! RAHHH!!!

But once again I say I dont feel we have MANY holes to fill(rb,wr,te,safety,cb) and theres no reason that couldnt and shouldnt be dealt with between the draft(which TT is good at) and the slim free agent pickings.

never fear, tightwad ted is here!

His superpower is frugality and knowledge of the mysteriously unknown, and it just might help save the day in the offseason.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't know why ... but i'm starting to like TT ... we have a good team and we have **** load of cap space and were still going in the draft with **** load of picks ... lol sorry the language its just cause i'm so happy and anxious for next year

Reaction score
This will test TED AND HIS STAFF'S ability to see talent... there may not be a whole lot of known stuff out there but there sure will be some guys that can help the Packers out.

Trom, I disagree with your point about some of the holes the Pack have to fill:

WR: I say this is a very strong group going into next season, with Driver and Gregorious as a solid 1/2, Martin/Ferggy/Carlyle Holliday rounding the group out. That is a solid and young group. Remove Ferggy from that when K-Rob comes back, who can hopefully be the speed demon we so desperately need and become the #3 WR and push Gregorious.

Safety: I think this is a really deep group, Manuel is the vet here and Collins is the one with playmaking allstar potential. Add Culver, who everyone seems to like and TC reports had him standing out, as well as a returning Maviel Underwood (who was even faster than, if not as fast as, Collins pre-injury I believe). That's a solid group, Underwood was a tackling machine so he could very well do what Manuel was brought in to do.

The DE may not need to be changed because of the success in the latter part of the season with moving Jenkins to starter.

Basically I just see TT's major need as being to get offensive playmakers... and that may be easier said then done but with potential names like Gonzalez or Shockey (gasp) it could be something not as difficult as first thought.

The crops is thin, but the Packers should have more than enough caproom to overpay (within reason of course) for some playmakers on the offensive side of the ball.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't know why ... but i'm starting to like TT ... we have a good team and we have **** load of cap space and were still going in the draft with **** load of picks ... lol sorry the language its just cause i'm so happy and anxious for next year

I agree. Although I hate his statement on our TE situation, (which I see as a very fillable hole, especially if (yeah right) Shockey opts out of NY.)

But, he felt the same way about our LB's last offseason, and look what we got. Three beasts. So, I'm trusting him a little bit.

I'd rather save money/cap space for when more talent is available, re-sign/extend guys already on the squad (Al Harris, Cullen) and get explosive offensive players via this year's draft. (Marshawn Lynch, Samardzjah)

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I agree. Although I hate his statement on our TE situation, (which I see as a very fillable hole, especially if (yeah right) Shockey opts out of NY.)

But, he felt the same way about our LB's last offseason, and look what we got. Three beasts. So, I'm trusting him a little bit.

I could see Shockey opting out of NY, but he will command a ridiculous contract -- definitely not worth it. There are some other TEs coming into FA that should put up similar numbers and be much cheaper, such as Johnson from SF.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shockey might opt out. He's sick of Coughlin and Little Brother and might like a new place to play. Not sure he's really a Green Bay kind of guy though.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
pack_in_black said:

I could see Shockey opting out of NY, but he will command a ridiculous contract -- definitely not worth it. There are some other TEs coming into FA that should put up similar numbers and be much cheaper, such as Johnson from SF.

Nah... Shockey is a stud. He's in the top five of receiving TE'sin the league. I do agree, however, that he probably won't be worth the ridiculous contract he'll command, (probably get it from the idiot Redskins) and he doesn't seem like a City of Green Bay type. Sure would be nice though...

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know guys like Gonzo and Shockey sound great but IMO we need to upgrade that position and spend the real money on a playmaker. We put another serious threat out there as an option for Favre and our low scoring stats and redzone woes will improve greatly.

That's why I like Moss. I highly doubt he will come in here and cause problems. He's getting older, wants to win, and Favre would feed him enough to make him happy.

The guy can stretch the field and make plays. I think DD would be grinning ear to ear if Moss came in here. Besides that could give Jennings more time to develope and those three are flexible enough to interchange positions on the field and create favorable matchups.

A lot of people said Woodson was not a team guy and caused rift in the locker room. I have seen none of that nor have I heard Moss is a problem other than he gets cranky cause they weren't winning just like Woodson. Competitors do that.

We get Moss and watch what they say about our chances next year. I know we would have the Bears DB's squeezing their cheeks together the whole offseason.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know guys like Gonzo and Shockey sound great but IMO we need to upgrade that position and spend the real money on a playmaker. We put another serious threat out there as an option for Favre and our low scoring stats and redzone woes will improve greatly.

I agree, but Shockey is a playmaker, and a serious threat as an option for Favre, not to mention a redzone maven. That's right, I just said 'maven'. :thumbsup:

That's why I like Moss. I highly doubt he will come in here and cause problems. He's getting older, wants to win, and Favre would feed him enough to make him happy.

The only flaw that I can see in that logic is that Favre will likely be around for one more year, if that at all. But that's just me.

The guy can stretch the field and make plays. I think DD would be grinning ear to ear if Moss came in here. Besides that could give Jennings more time to develope and those three are flexible enough to interchange positions on the field and create favorable matchups.

A lot of people said Woodson was not a team guy and caused rift in the locker room. I have seen none of that nor have I heard Moss is a problem other than he gets cranky cause they weren't winning just like Woodson. Competitors do that.

Totally agree with all of this ^^^^

It's just that we'd have to give up some serious draft pickage to get him, and I don't see TT doing that.

We get Moss and watch what they say about our chances next year. I know we would have the Bears DB's squeezing their cheeks together the whole offseason.

:rotflmao: I just pissed myself.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i hate to say i told you so. but. i told nevermind.

if shockey, moss, or gonzo are signed. ill be as happy as a pig in slop. if they arent signed. im not that worried about it either. im telling you guys. the patriots who just happen to be the bane of my existence, are still in the playoffs and still a threat to make a run... and they didnt do ANYTHING blockbuster last year. its not about names and contracts its about football players and systems. we gone be aight

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shockey would be the best option because he's young (assuming he can stay healthy - which is a big assumption as he seems to get injured a lot). Gonzales is older, but has proved to be more reliable over his career but at his age, people can lose it over night.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Krazygangsta said:

if shockey, moss, or gonzo are signed. ill be as happy as a pig in slop. if they arent signed. im not that worried about it either. im telling you guys. the patriots who just happen to be the bane of my existence, are still in the playoffs and still a threat to make a run... and they didnt do ANYTHING blockbuster last year. its not about names and contracts its about football players and systems. we gone be aight

No

We need Randy Moss

We need Gonzo

We Need T.O.

We need Jesus Christ at safety

We need L.T. in our backfield

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. I don't know why people are wasting their time talking about those guys who won't be here. Why not talk about the draft, and who we can\will\should get at the 16th spot? Or talk about the medium tier guys available in free agency.

Discussing the expensive guys who aren't worth it, like T.O.(drop another one, terrell) just seems like a waste of time, cuz TT will not do it....and now im wasting my time talking about others wasting their time. its a vicious cycle.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a TE. Not necessary Jeremy Shockey. In fact I rather have Tony G even at his age than Shockey. Shockey is part of the problem for the Giants and not the solution.

The two guys I want and I'll preach it all off season are Justin Smith DE from Cincy and Tony G TE from KC.
Tony G for obvious reasons. Smith has seen double teams every game this year and still does a good job. If he lined up with Kampman on the other side he'd probably have a breakout year because he'd be one on one all game long. Let Smith and Jenkins compete at DE and let Jenkins, Williams and Cole compete at DT.

Now if we don’t get these guys I’m not going to bash the entire free agent operation we’re running because they didn’t do it the porky88 way but I do think those are two guys worth a look this year and they are marquee names.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Krazygangsta said:

No

We need Randy Moss

We need Gonzo

We Need T.O.

We need Jesus Christ at safety

We need L.T. in our backfield

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. I don't know why people are wasting their time talking about those guys who won't be here. Why not talk about the draft, and who we can\will\should get at the 16th spot? Or talk about the medium tier guys available in free agency.

Discussing the expensive guys who aren't worth it, like T.O.(drop another one, terrell) just seems like a waste of time, cuz TT will not do it....and now im wasting my time talking about others wasting their time. its a vicious cycle.

I guess the question is: "Do we need a playmaker to give us a legitimate shot next year"?

Remember this guys. The schedule is not going to get any easier having finished 2nd vs. 4th last year. That's why I think we need to look beyond mid-tier at this point.

We had trouble scoring and a hard time in the red zone. We simply didn't have enough threats when the field got shorter. That's the reality of it.

We made one high end move in FA last year and it made a big difference. We didn't have to here Trom cuss Carroll week in and week out.

I don't think Moss is a stretch or out of the realm. TT paid an older Woodson big bucks. Why not Moss who would only make DD and Jennings better?

The young WR's did a decent job for us but we go up against better competition next year and we need that guy other teams will have to respect to open it up for us.

I don't care really who it is but get him please!

Speaking of schedule we finally get Philly at home next year. We've played them what?. Five times or so in a row at their place. It aint going to get any easier guys so we need to get better in a couple areas. There can be no waiting for somebody to reach their potential at this point.

We have to crank it up a notch. I think our defense will and the "0" line will be ready. Now we just need a player or two that can get us in the damn endzone.

OP
OP
P

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember this guys. The schedule is not going to get any easier having finished 2nd vs. 4th last year. That's why I think we need to look beyond mid-tier at this point.

With the new scheduling system, your record does not play all that much into your next year's schedule. All teams within a division will play 14 of the same 16 games. The only differences are in the 2 other games where they go against the teams that finished in their corresponding positions in the other divisions in the conference.

In this case, finishing second gets us games with the Panthers and the Rams where finishing 4th would have been against Arizona and Tampa Bay. The Panthers and Rams are so up and down that those games will just depend on when you catch them so I do not see the schedule as being that much different.

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss is a great player to have and a great teammate when he gets payed and the team wins, if not he's gonna be a pain in the ***.

I believe there are many players that have played for Minnesota that might disagree. Moss has been never been much of a teammate. Now he blaming others for his poor performance. The guy is on the decline and with his past record, I wouldn't sign him to the veteran's minimum contract. Let some other team take the headaches and the risk.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

With the new scheduling system, your record does not play all that much into your next year's schedule. All teams within a division will play 14 of the same 16 games. The only differences are in the 2 other games where they go against the teams that finished in their corresponding positions in the other divisions in the conference.

In this case, finishing second gets us games with the Panthers and the Rams where finishing 4th would have been against Arizona and Tampa Bay. The Panthers and Rams are so up and down that those games will just depend on when you catch them so I do not see the schedule as being that much different.

I appreciate the update as I was uncertain how the schedule was determined. The point, however, remains the same. We play tougher teams overall next year not easier teams.

To compete evenly with the Bronco's, Chargers, 'Boys, etc., we need a couple of PLAYMAKERS that can put some points up.

Here's where I see TT and FA:

1) Any record that's not better than 8-8 is unacceptable. Period.

2) Our point production vs yards was off and our redzone scoring % was lousy.

3) The schedule get's tougher with the Chargers, Bronco's, KC, Philly, etc.

The question in front of TT is can he go middle ground here and upgrade certain positions to a degree or does he need to do better than that?

It seems fairly simple to me. All he has to do is look at where we consistantly weren't good (scoring points and redzone offense) and look at the talent of the teams we will be facing next year.

There is too much of a discrepency in overall playmaking ability when you look at the RB, TE, and WR personnel of these teams as a whole when compared to what we put out there.

The playoff teams out there simply have better personnel in these areas.

TT saw the same situation on defense last year and addressed it. I expect he will make some moves to better compete personnel wise on offense this off-season.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
Moss is a great player to have and a great teammate when he gets payed and the team wins, if not he's gonna be a pain in the ***.

I believe there are many players that have played for Minnesota that might disagree. Moss has been never been much of a teammate. Now he blaming others for his poor performance. The guy is on the decline and with his past record, I wouldn't sign him to the veteran's minimum contract. Let some other team take the headaches and the risk.

Well the Vikings hasn't done a lot of the winning part. However did you see him in the playoff game against the Packers? He proved great leadership and pumped up his teammates on the sidelines all day long, and the mooning wasn't really a big deal lol.

Members online

Latest posts