Lions HC Mooch to be fired??

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno - I mean, I like the guy but do you really want a coach that's 15-28 over 2 1/2 seasons? I hear he has great bocce ball tournaments though :D

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mariucci never should've thrown in his lot with Matt Millen. And Millen just got a contract extension from the owners, so he's not going anywhere. I've always thought Mariucci was a good coach, but I'm less sure now. I think the main problem for that team is the serious lack of talent on the offensive line. Also, they have poor team chemistry, with a lot of young players and a QB who for various reasons has not gained the confidence of his team.

Would Mariucci be good for the Packers? Well, he may be the best candidate out there if he's available and Ted Thompson decides to make a change in the off-season. And he would have a better organization behind him in Green Bay than he's had in Detroit.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg....I agree with what you believed. The problem isn't Mooch....it's obvious that Matt Millen doesn't know **** about running a football organization.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing Mariucci back in Green Bay....

I bet Favre would love it too.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet Sherman stays as the HC of the packers, but I hope TT fires Rossely, more sooner then later. I wonder if Mooch would become out OC. That would leave him in a position to become head coach if Sherman next seasons tanks again. This would allow brett to stay since he stated that he would possibly leave if Sherman was fired. Wasn't Mooch Bretts QB coach his first couple of seasons with the packers...

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really suprised how bad the Lions recievers were in the thanksgiving day game. Just flat out awfull.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again I'll repeat myself (old guys do that a lot). Whatever decision is made re: the HC job, equal consideration MUST be given as to how to insure Bates remains on the staff. He HAS made chicken salad from chicken $hit. Darned few guys like him around. We can't afford to lose him.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please tell me you guys don't want him as head coach. He has no discipline, is to conservative, won't put starters in who'll win just to prove a point,and never answers for his mistakes. Would you like to tell me why after charles rogers suspension was over he left him in detroit while kevin johnson and roy williams were injured. It sure wasn't because scottie vines, glenn martinez, and mike williams were so good. Then at the presser he had the balls to praise martinez's play when he played for 44 snaps and never caught a pass. After harrington (who I hate) actually had a good game against arizona mariucci said more nice things about mike mcmahon who plays for philly than he said about his own quarterback. Or maybe why our running back who had over 1,000 yards last season is only getting 10-15 carriers per game. Or why he never says from week to week who is going to play quarterback? Or why he only has ten plays in the playbook and none of them are passes for more than 10 yards? Or why every 3rd and long no matter who the qaurterback is he calls all short routes for 3-5 yards or a screen or a draw play? Mariucci is a terrible head coach who cannot keep the confidence of his players much less the fans. I would love nothing more than for mooch to come to greenbay so you guys could sit at the bottom for a few years, but you fans deserve better than that. The lions have ALOT of talent (besides the o-line) that any other mediocre coach would have a playoff team with. The only thing that made mooch any good in san fransisco was he was handed over a great team and terrel owens. But they could see his habits too, how many winning teams fire the coach? Okay, I'm sorry about the rampage, but the problem in detroit is not the talent, it's the coaching.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
I would love nothing more than for mooch to come to greenbay so you guys could sit at the bottom for a few years, but you fans deserve better than that. The lions have ALOT of talent (besides the o-line) that any other mediocre coach would have a playoff team with. The only thing that made mooch any good in san fransisco was he was handed over a great team and terrel owens. But they could see his habits too, how many winning teams fire the coach? Okay, I'm sorry about the rampage, but the problem in detroit is not the talent, it's the coaching.

I have to agree with you there. I had expected Detroit to be Green Bay's main contender for the NFC North title this season. With the exception of Harrington, you possess the offensive weapons to make this a powerhouse team. Unfortunately, bad management has kept Detroit in the bottom drawer since the '60's. I have not followed the Lions too much this season but from what you describe, I would not want to see the Mooch in Green Bay as HC, regardless of what happens to Sherm.

I was more than willing to give Sherm the benefit of the doubt as HC minus the GM role. However, the constant inconsistancies the offense has demonstrated coupled with last week's defeat to the hated Queens (which I witnessed first-hand, BTW) makes me feel that the time has come for a changing of the guard. Good coaches find ways to overcome adversity. Decent coaches with a HOF QB who is often perceived by his opponents as a major threat still manage to find ways to win. Unfortunately, Sherm has been unable to demonstrate that he fits into either of those catagories.

Jim Bates for HC in '06.

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Big3 --- ya gotta add more to the puddin' before many of us can reply effectively...

With that mouthful - you have to add some articles.
Da Mooch was very very effective for quite a long time, in SanFran.
Only after he lost most of his talent, did he start to falter (like GB) and then Mgmt lost their ability to believe in him.

I don't have any answers - but it doesn't seem like even the Press knows what's really going on. I do know this, tho' ---- Da Mooch will not stand for any player squeexing him out of the HC chair, in a behind the scenes manuever - taking over without proxy, if you will - and running the show from the field as if an HC is NOT necessary. NO group of players should ever be allowed to pull such a stunt - anywhere!

Is that what's going on up in Detroit? Show us some more articles....eh?

*** EDIT ***

The more I re-read that article -- it smells like "just more of the ESPN need to invent a story" type hype... PERIOD

- it's Michael Irvin, Tom Jackson hype - that's all. They've run out of drama-queeen sportswriter nonsense to discuss - to inflame the troops as it were -- and now they're dragging Steve Mariucci thru the muck.

Da Mooch is Green Bay trained - he isn't about to throw all that out the window.

If Matt Millen fires him - he'll be in even worse water with **** Jauron - he didn't do very well against the Packers or any other top teams during his heyday.... His 45-46 record belies the true facts of stinking when it counted - Jauron had one good season (2001?) where the Bears went 13-3 -- but they tanked in the Playoffs very very quickly ala Marty ball. And, after that, Ted Washington went to the Pats and got his ring.

Da Mooch should not be going anywhere - he's fine. It's the Locker Room which may be Steve's worst enemy right now - that's IF, a big time IF... there's really anything going on in the first place.

Maybe what we have here - is a true failure to communicate ala ESPN.

Meaning - the ESPN folks didn't want to come out and say "GREAT GAME GREEN BAY" when we smacked golden boy around - Atlanta game.... BUT NOW, they want to use the fact that the Packers won that game as a measuring stick against Steve Mariucci - who had a much much better draft than GB did. I think ESPN is trying to have their cake and eat it, too!

Tell me I'm wrong.....

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Mariucci back in Green Bay....

I bet Favre would love it too.

of course, they were friends. green bay would be a better enviroment for mariucci.

it would be nice to see mooch in gb.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off - we simply cannot discount Favre's statement - that without Sherman at the helm - Brett Favre retires... Never, ever forget that. He means it, period!

Number Two - while Steve Mariucci is a pretty good HC - he's not the right mold for GB. Especially with a ROOKIE QB.

ON TOP OF THAT _ Every Sunday Pundit there is - on TV - has come out in favor of da Mooch not going anywhere - at least until Season's end. Firing him on Monday ? uh-huh - Ain't gonna happen!

To boot - why would Matt Millen - who bucked political correctness in the NFL, in the first place - now pi$$ all over his own shoes and fire Steve-o....? Remember, he basically confirmed da Mooch as HC without interviewing ANY.... 'black' contenders. Think about it.

Steve Mariucci's not going anywhere - this is simply the Press "inventing" hype all over again. It's almost like the NY Times & Co. ...spanking GW - about corruption..... when 47 convictions (count 'em) were handed down during the Clinton years.... the pot calling the kettle black, as it were. It's called (people) propaganda! You're not supposed to see all the other evidence or count it in the equation - not if your PC, that is......... screw your own intellect... it's not about being right.. it's about being PC.

I say again - Steve Mariucci's not going anywhere.
If he does - then Matt Millen's job is damn well on the line, too!

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mark my words, if mooch or millen isn't gone next year, ford field will start to empty out for the first time in it's history. Why do you think mooch pulled harrington in the thanksgiving game when he really wasn't playing that bad? Because the boos in the stadium were too loud for him to do nothing. The fans in detroit are TIRED of being the losingest team in football the last 4 years. Someone needs to answer for this wanna be football team. Best case scenario, mooch and millen are both gone next year. I think mooch will have a job until the end of the season, but not a minute longer.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well - apparently - according to the News -- Mooch was fired today....
Matt Millen protected himself by deflecting attention away from himself.

In the entire time Matt Millen has been at the helm - the Lions have suffered.
Steve Mariucci now knows what it means to be "back-stabbed".....
Da Mooch is a good Coach - and many many people know it.
A Head Coach still needs the "true" support of the Management structure behind and above him - obviously, we weren't seeing any of that. Too bad, really.

Now, if it were offered - I'd take Mooch onto the ranks of the GBP - but only as the OC.
I think that would be an instant improvement for Green Bay.
One wonders how Brett Favre would feel about it........

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions fire Mariucci

By Larry Lage, The Associated Press
DETROIT — The Detroit Lions fired coach Steve Mariucci on Monday and promoted defensive coordinator **** Jauron to succeed him on an interim basis. Mariucci's record with the Lions was 15-28. His 2003 hiring was hailed by fans and media alike, but he was not able to turn around a team that has won one playoff game since 1957.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Steve Mariucci went 15-28 in
two-plus years with the Lions.

"It's hard for me to stand up here in this position because Steve is a friend," said Jauron, who had a 35-46 record as head coach of the Bears from 1999-2003.

After Detroit lost 27-7 to the Atlanta Falcons on Thanksgiving to fall to 4-7, reports swirled that the team was considering firing Mariucci. When Mariucci was not let go over the weekend, some thought his job was safe for the final five games of the regular season.

"We started off this season with high expectations. I believed this was a roster that was capable of making a playoff run," team president Matt Millen said at an afternoon news conference. "We have not lived up to our expectations. We have underachieved as a football team."

Millen, who said the decision to fire Mariucci was made Monday, also fired offensive line coach Pat Morris and tight ends coach Andy Sugarman.

The Lions have lost four of five games since a solid start put them atop the NFC North with the Chicago Bears. The team has collapsed on and off the field with players failing to produce and some bickering with one another and questioning the coaches' game plans.

Offensive tackle Jeff Backus said players had not been notified of the move.

"Something had to give, I guess," Backus told The Associated Press. "It's not my job to judge whether Mariucci did a good job or bad job, but we're in a bottom-line business and our bottom line hasn't been very good."

Mariucci has more than two years remaining on the $25 million contract he signed in 2003. The Michigan native came to the Lions from San Francisco, where he was 60-43 over six seasons.

Mariucci was cut some slack in the past because the team he inherited was crafted by Millen, but expectations were high heading into his third season.

"I think we need to (make the playoffs). We want to, and we're going to make it happen," Mariucci said before the season. "If we win 10 or 11 ballgames and make the playoffs, it would make us happy and make the fans happy."

Millen hired both Mariucci and his predecessor, Marty Mornhinweg, and drafted or signed most of the players currently on the Lions — and Detroit is an NFL-worst 20-55 since 2001. Millen, a former NFL linebacker and TV analyst was given a five-year extension before this season.

Jauron, Detroit's defensive coordinator the past two seasons, was fired in 2003 after four losing seasons in five years with the Bears. He was selected as NFL coach of the year during his lone winning season in Chicago.

"We need to take these next five weeks, and we need to play ... and see what we can get out of it," Jauron said. "I don't have plans other than the next game."

The Lions are the first team since the NFL and AFL merged drafts in 1967 to draft receivers in the first round three straight years.

Charles Rogers missed most of his first two seasons with injuries and was suspended for four games this year for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Roy Williams has made his share of plays, but has struggled to stay healthy. Rookie Mike Williams, also slowed by injuries, has shown few flashes of promise.

Detroit's quarterback situation also hurt Mariucci's chances for success.

Joey Harrington, the third overall pick in 2002, has failed to be consistent throughout his career. The Lions added a veteran to push Harrington, or replace him, but 35-year-old Jeff Garcia has been nagged by injuries and an inability to throw deep passes.

The Lions' porous offensive line has added to their passing- and running-game woes while a decent defense has been hampered by being on the field too long, and by injuries.

=======================================

I'll say this -- Matt Millen allowing anyone (including **** Jauron) to take the helm, that isn't a BLACK HC (at the end of the Season, I mean) - is him inviting the Lynch Mob back all over again..... JMHO - but we've seen this drill before.... You watch!

You damn sure can't blame the Charlie Rogers (Joe Johnson?) scenario on Steve Mariucci - that's fer sure!

As far as I'm concerned - the real problem child in Detroit is MATT MILLEN!

IPBprez

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna know what's the chatter like in the Locker Room.

The phrase "porous Offensive Line" comes to mind -- those guys consider themselves T-O-U-G-H ... yet, look what we're handed from a performance standpoint.... It "appears" on the topsoil - to be a coordinated effort to hurt or dismantle someone...

Well, Big3... what are we really looking at - the article states outright that MATT MILLEN was who signed all these guys.... Da Mooch is only the HC and never had GM powers... to me, it sounds like maybe he should have.......

What's your take....?

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Millen and Mooch should both be fired, but if one had to go I'm glad it was mooch. He has no idea which players to play, can't help develop the young players, and has lost the respect of this team. Also, the offensive line coach and tight end coach were fired. And the offensive coordinater was demoted to assistant , and the QB coach will call the plays for the rest of the season.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally - I think if the HC gets the boot - then, so does the OC - the two are inter-twined, period. No way the OC gets to stay - this smacks of collusion from some back room at a men's club... just down the street.

Detroit has been through how many Coaches now?
Tell me this.... ( I use spock logic myself - you use whatever)

If we have tried many coaches - and we have.....
Yet the same trippin' the rift event occurs.. which it has.....
Isn't that the definition of insanity?

You know - trying different options (at HC) / same thing over and over / and expecting different results...

You do know that... that... is the true definition for insanity, right?

I would say the one thing that "hasn't" been tried - is replacing MATT MILLEN.
And, you're against "something (anything)" that might kick start this team?

WHY NOT FIRE MATT MILLEN? EH?

Of the lot for HC's you've seen in the last ten years... Da Mooch was da Best.
Others may have shown better records - but they had Barry Sanders!
Hell - I think even Morningwheg(sp) could've had better production given a better GM....

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corrrection on last post -------

Millen, who said the decision to fire Mariucci was made Monday, also fired offensive line coach Pat Morris and tight ends coach Andy Sugarman.

Still looks like Millen was cleaning house of the guys who weren't kneeling before him.....

The OC got to stay - that's waaaay wrong. Just like Madden said last nite during MNF - if someone else had an idea of what they could try - "why not share it with the HC?" Some real bad politics going on in Detroit.. and it's real sad, too!

Members online

Latest posts