Linsley extended!

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
TT is putting in the work to sure up our guys. Now if he dabbed and got some solid Free Agents then that be great.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's mostly stayed healthy and hasn't been bad. Very happy with this deal. Rodgers hasn't had much continuity at C throughout his career, so this is great.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last 2 days have made me a very happy head of cheese! After Adams this was the next man we needed to lock up.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers offensive line scheme tends to ask our guys do a lot, we ask our OTs to play on an island and our Center to do a lot of stuff that many teams wouldn't even ask of their center. He's a damned good player and thats a good deal for him. You all know what I think of PFF's rankings.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like the deal for a few reasons. One, Linsley is pretty decent and it keeps the continuity of the OL somewhat intact. Two, we have nobody else! With Tretter, Sitton and Lang being allowed to go elsewhere in the past year and a half, the OL got thin quick. Bulaga's status is up in the air, Spriggs who knows. Evans is almost done and a FA. Bahk, Taylor and Linsley will at least be with the Packer through 2020.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the deal for a few reasons. One, Linsley is pretty decent and it keeps the continuity of the OL somewhat intact. Two, we have nobody else! With Tretter, Sitton and Lang being allowed to go elsewhere in the past year and a half, the OL got thin quick. Bulaga's status is up in the air, Spriggs who knows. Evans is almost done and a FA. Bahk, Taylor and Linsley will at least be with the Packer through 2020.

Spriggs showed some ability with some inconsistency and Murphy can't seem to say healthy, Pankey and whats his face showed pretty well despite being an off the street free agents. I think the OL is in decent shape but needs some reinforcement in the middle rounds of the draft, maybe grab somone in rounds 4-6.

Reaction score
Great signing. Let’s keep the OL train rolling we gotta protect #12 and give him ammunition

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great deal. Linsley never comes off the field, and is a damn good center. We're lucky to have him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since it's an extension, and can be prorated out with his current contract, this is basically a 4 year $27.3M contract. Little under $7M a year. That's a good deal.

H

HardRightEdge

According to sources the deal is for three years, $25.5 million.
I find this not a little surprising. Thompson has a history of not paying centers. And $8.5 mil per year puts him at #8 in the league which does not seem justified. Am I alone in thinking Lindsley's best year was his rookie year?

Maybe they're going to move him guard to get their money's worth. ;)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So why didn't we re-sign Tretter who got barely half of Linsley money from the Browns, is more versatile and a better center?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So why didn't we re-sign Tretter who got barely half of Linsley money from the Browns, is more versatile and a better center?

Not that Linsley has been a poster boy for great health, but you have to think there were more questions on the Packers side about Tretter's health and he is also one year older than Linsley. He missed his entire rookie season with an ankle injury. In 2014, a knee injury limited him to eight games. After playing a full season in 2015, health problems again became a factor for Tretter in 2016, and he missed nine games..

It would have been hard to keep them both and I think the Browns ended up giving Tretter a three-year deal worth $16.75 M, definitely less than the $8.5 M/year Linsley got.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley most likely isn't getting $8.5M a year.

It's an extension, and the Packers are able to spread it out through 4 years. Makes it a little under $7M/year.

Also, Trettor is more versatile. He is not the better center.

H

HardRightEdge

That's a good question. I believe I have an answer.

Whether talking about cutting, not re-resigning, or signing a guy, the "who else ya got?' factor is woefully underrated.

If Linsley were not around, Tretter's Cleveland offer would have been matched or exceeded. As it was, Linsley was the "who else" still on cheap rookie deal.

Then we have to look at the line in general. The guards are not quite up to the Sitton/Lang standard with Evans on borrowed time and Bulaga's legs beaten up beyond his years. The thinking is maintenance of a proven core of 3. RG and RT are up in the air. A third position cast into doubt is not a tolerable situation. So they paid up to eliminate one question mark.

If Spriggs had shown himself to be the near-Pro Bowl level performer that Bulaga has been, I don't think Linsley gets this kind of money.
It's an extension, and the Packers are able to spread it out through 4 years. Makes it a little under $7M/year.
No, 2017 is the last year under Linsley's rookie contract. He would have been heading to free agency at the end of this season. There is nothing left to spread it over. Same as Adams.

Staff online

Members online