Like Favre? Like video games? You'll like this.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://sports.ign.com/articles/858/858013p1.html

Here's a little description of what the article does:
Brett Favre's retirement last week brought to an end the career of one of pro football's living legends -- a man who, in the eyes of many, could do no wrong. Few football fanbases are more insular and appreciative than Green Bay (logical considering the fans actually own the Packers), and for the denizens of Lambeau, Favre was a man who they trusted implicitly.

Another thing about Favre's career, though, is that his longevity means that he represents one of the few players left from the pre-NFLPA days of Madden. Favre's appeared in countless video games throughout his career -- hell, he's appeared on countless consoles. The man has been around the block a few times.

As Favre's developed himself from a upstart gunslinger with a cannon arm into a wily, grey...gunslinger with a cannon arm, simulations of him playing football have undergone a similarly absurd progression. To celebrate both, we're going to give him the same treatment we gave Michael Strahan the week before the Super Bowl, highlighting his progression and performance throughout his career and looking at how Favre looked in video games throughout the same time. In honor of his nature, we've tried to capture Favre in the same situation throughout all of the different games -- rolling out to the right, about to launch a 20-yard laser into triple coverage. Both he and Packers fans wouldn't have it any other way.

Remember that the numbering of years in video games are different than the actual years they correspond to, so when we talk about Favre's performance in the 2007 season, we'll be comparing him to what he looked like in Madden '08.

Enjoy. I did. I've owned every Madden since '94. Yeah. :pop:

OP
OP
E

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No problem. I'm gonna miss not having Favre when I take the Pack online to beat up "noobs" or when I start a franchise. I've been doing Favre franchises since I was 10 years old. :(

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been gaming since six man football on Atari. Since 1994 when Pro Talk football came out, Favre has made every team since. He just retired from my 08 360 team. Thanks Brett you will always be a 99 in my book.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
No problem. I'm gonna miss not having Favre when I take the Pack online to beat up "noobs" or when I start a franchise. I've been doing Favre franchises since I was 10 years old. :(

Ah I know!! It's going to stink to have to go play online without Favre. Playing the high level guys, they can often totally stop the run, but if so, I just go to shotgun formations and pass almost every down and very few can stop it. It's great. =)

Hopefully Aaron will get a better rating then 79 on madden '09.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last football game I had was Techmo Bowl and they didn't have Brett Favre or even the Green Bay Packers. But man, Walter Payton is a beast to bring down. ;)

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last football game I had was Techmo Bowl and they didn't have Brett Favre or even the Green Bay Packers. But man, Walter Payton is a beast to bring down. ;)

Not to mention Bo Jackson.

OP
OP
E

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
evad04 said:

Ah I know!! It's going to stink to have to go play online without Favre. Playing the high level guys, they can often totally stop the run, but if so, I just go to shotgun formations and pass almost every down and very few can stop it. It's great. =)

We should get a game in sometime. My gamertag is the same as my username: evad04

Hit me up!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

Which Tecmo?
The first Tecmo Jackson was in, as was Favre and the Packers. Bo was unstoppable! Same thing can be said about Christian Okoye lol

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll play anybody. I use the packers all the time though. Evad, since you use the packers as well, hows your strategy go? I use Grant out of the backfeild, then I mostly pass it to driver :). Oh don't forget about using Bigby. Big hitter :)

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
DoddPower said:
evad04 said:

We should get a game in sometime. My gamertag is the same as my username: evad04

Hit me up!

I'd love to man, but I play on the PS3, so I don't think that would work. Would be cool though.

My approach is to establish the run if at all possible and just play clock control with play action passes. But if it doesn't seem to be working, switch to 4 WR formations using screens and quick slants, while often sending Jennings of Driver deep. This approach almost guarantees either someone underneath will be open or the long bomb. As long as you get enough protection (often keepin the back in to block) and Favre can set his feet, you can usually hit the bombs no matter how far the are. Favre can LAUNCH in that game with his feet set.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

The thing that sucks about Bo was he was only in on one running play. Marcus Allen was the other running play.

But yeah, I think Bo was equally as hard to tackle as Wallie. I used to always run screens to Wallie. Would drive opponents nuts because if you time it right, it's very hard to cover. They do what they can to stop the run and I still get the ball to Payton.

Staff online

Latest posts