Let't ge to the real issue here. WHERE is our effin offense??

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Benson does not have the breakaway speed Starks does when healthy or that Grant had early in his career. But I don't understand how a fan can watch him and not see how much better he is than either of those two at seeing an opening and hitting it had and at powering through defenders as Oshkoshpackfan posted. And IMO that's true even though Benson is new to the Packers' offense. Several times we've seen him be met at the LOS or even behind it and he somehow makes something positive happen. His shortest run Sunday was 2 yards.

The other thing to consider is this: Look at how the Packers' passing offense is struggling. After being historically good last season and very good for the past several seasons, the Packers are 15th in passing yards/game this season. Rodgers has the 12th best QB rating so far. It's much more difficult for a RB in an offense struggling in the passing game because Ds can concentrate more on the running game. As the Packers passing attacks becomes more prolific and in sync, Benson abilities will be complimented and visa versa.

IMO the key to the offense is just that: Getting the passing attack in sync. If that doesn't happen, it wouldn't matter if Adrian Peterson was in the backfield. IMO Benson is definitely good enough to provide the necessary threat of a run. And much more important than my opinion is Aaron Rodgers' - listen to him talk about Benson.

ulfootball21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it is clear that you DONT understand that he is NEW to our system. How much time did he have to learn an all new system, a new extensive playbook, have time to learn and interact with his linemen???? What he has shown us so far is: He does not go down by a shoe lace tackle like starks does, he actually has runners vision to hit the hole, he can power through a pile of guys and push the pile for extra yardage. People like you want an instant "all star" and do not grasp just how complicated anew system is. GIVE THE GUY MORE TIME. From what i have seen so far and what little knowledge he has about our team, is a guy with a good run ability. He had 3 straight 1000+ yard seasons with the bengals.......hmmm.....has starks or grant given us 3 seasons with production like that? Hell no. He will also ease pressure off Arod and give us the ability to milk the clock.

What is it that makes any of you think that Benson is going to all of the sudden become a serviceable starting RB on a playoff team? He has played several seasons in the league and he has had 1 season he averaged more than 4 yds per carry. Hes just not a good RB and after he understands the system hes still not going to be any good. Please help me understand why youre backing Ced so passionately. I dont get it

ulfootball21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My goodness, if the opposing D doesnt have to hardly aknowledge our ground game, how in the hell do you think our passing game will succeed? It makes no sense, I certainly would hope that you could at least understand that. If all they have to do is focus on our passing game then it becomes much easier to defend. I mean one person was basically complimenting Benson that his SHORTEST run was 2 yds. LOL I guess your a glass half full guy. Me, I think its pathetic that a team picked to get to the Super Bowl has nobody better to hand the ball to other than Cedric Benson. That spells trouble to me

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to pounce on the RB issue again, but opposing teams don't fear Starks or Grant "breaking one" any more than Benson. Benson gets positive yardage almost every touch, has great vision, gets rolling downhill instantly, gets better as the game goes on, can catch out of the backfield and the slot, picks up the blitz, and excels in single back sets (which has been extremely important this year since neither of our OT's has been able to pass block and need TE help). Sorry fellas, these breakaway threat RBs are few and far between. And with the multiple TE and WR sets we run, we can't afford to have a Chris Johnson back there adding nothing but a breakaway threat while being a blitz liability and getting negative yardage on 2 out of 3 carries.
I like Cedric. We have a RB who knows how to run. It is just that when you have a defense that gets tired from trying to keep up with Rodgers artillery you want a back that can step in and run to daylight. Jim Taylor would wear down and batter defensive players. Suddenly after about 4 or 5 drives Paul Hornung would break one in part to the work of his teammate. Ahman Green was the best RB that we ever had that could take it to the house but even he could not carry the entire load.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
What is it that makes any of you think that Benson is going to all of the sudden become a serviceable starting RB on a playoff team? He has played several seasons in the league and he has had 1 season he averaged more than 4 yds per carry. Hes just not a good RB and after he understands the system hes still not going to be any good. Please help me understand why youre backing Ced so passionately. I dont get it
I'd be glad to help you understand it. You're a stat guy right? Well here's how it looks to me:
Opposing defenses don't give a rat's backside what a RB stats say. If you've watched the Packers for the last few years you understand that very often our RBs would run to the line of scrimmage and go down. No positive yardage or a 1 or 2 yard gain. Sure, they'd break one now and again to up their average but how is that kind of running going to help you in the playoffs when all the teams are good.
That regularity of positive yardage is why I like Benson. I don't think the Packers need Adrian Peterson. Besides, who do you suggest the Packers get that's better?
Benson is better than any RB the Packers have had since Ryan Grants first couple of years. He is good at finding the holes. That to me is the biggest difference between him and our other RBs. He runs to the hole instead of into the backs of our OL and his power almost always gives us a couple of positive yards.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
My goodness, if the opposing D doesnt have to hardly aknowledge our ground game, how in the hell do you think our passing game will succeed? It makes no sense, I certainly would hope that you could at least understand that. If all they have to do is focus on our passing game then it becomes much easier to defend. I mean one person was basically complimenting Benson that his SHORTEST run was 2 yds. LOL I guess your a glass half full guy. Me, I think its pathetic that a team picked to get to the Super Bowl has nobody better to hand the ball to other than Cedric Benson. That spells trouble to me

Who was better to hand the ball to then? Hmmm...?? Starks...no....green....no

Benson blocks well, catchs well out of the back field, keeps the defense honest, and is a durable back....unlike our other bench riding injury bugs.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ That's because we get some *** clown that has no idea about the game of football and what type of system we run. We are a pass first team, yet some people think we need to have a back like Maurice Jones Drew to suck the salary cap dry.....not on a pass happy team we don't. We need a guy to keep the defense honest and help out in the pass and run game when its needed....and that's what we got. Apparently, TT needs to hire that guy ulfootball21 since he knows more than a pro football GM does. He would make a great advisor.

Reaction score
I know what we saw from Harrell wasn't really his fault, but I hope it opened some eye's for the Packers. The Packers are not smooth any where on offense (route running, O line, running game etc.). I do believe they will put it together. I just hope they do it sooner than later.

ulfootball21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ That's because we get some *** clown that has no idea about the game of football and what type of system we run. We are a pass first team, yet some people think we need to have a back like Maurice Jones Drew to suck the salary cap dry.....not on a pass happy team we don't. We need a guy to keep the defense honest and help out in the pass and run game when its needed....and that's what we got. Apparently, TT needs to hire that guy ulfootball21 since he knows more than a pro football GM does. He would make a great advisor.

Well firstly I certainly dont understand why my opinion deserves personal attacks, I am a concerned Packers fan and I see the lack of a good RB being a problem as to why our O isnt clicking. Just because my opinion doesnt jive with yours doesnt mean Im wrong or your right. Its people like you that think if its not what you agree with then you hurl personal attacks and assume that you know more football than they do that makes people not want to participate in these forums. Addressing the MJD comment, thats NOT what I want or ever insisted. I NEVER said that we have any RB thats better than Cedric to hand the ball to. My issue is that we couldve picked up Michael Bush or someone that has more upside and more of a breakaway back than Cedric is in FA. I guess its just because Im new posting here that some of you want to bash me. Thats ok, I just cant see how some of you cant even understand where Im coming from or that we deserve better than Cedric Benson being our feature back. How does that not make a little sense? GO PACK GO

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well firstly I certainly dont understand why my opinion deserves personal attacks, I am a concerned Packers fan and I see the lack of a good RB being a problem as to why our O isnt clicking.
This is my first visit to this thread, so I have not been a part of any discussion here.

But I take offense strongly to that statement above.

Benson is a significant upgrade to the running backs we have had.... had last year when we were 15-1 but flopped in the playoffs, and upgrade from 2010 when we won the Super Bowl.

Our OL is more lacking at run-blocking than Cedric is at running. But they're both getting better together. Our running game is not the problem.

It was the play-calling on Monday when McCarthy had 21 passes and 3 runs.

Also missing our BEST wide receiver Greg Jennings is clearly the top factor for our issues. And don't forget, defenses adjust. They know what we've been doing and they've studied it and defended it.
In addition to that, we dealt with the bad officials for 3 games and they let the defenders get away with grabbing, tugging, holding, bumping our receivers.

I have faith that our offense will get going again.

What I'd like to see is Greg Jennings given a full month to totally rest & get 100% healthy. In the mean time, let's get Jarrett Boykin out there up & running. He looked great in preseason and he's ready to contribute IMO, but until he's thrown out there and proves himself, let's see more of Donald Driver out there as the #4 WR.

Jordy-Jones-Driver-Cobb + Finley is still lethal.
But I like the dump off passes to Benson because defenses are not accounting for him after he pass-blocks. They are worried about Finley more, Rodgers running, and Jordy getting deep.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Well firstly I certainly dont understand why my opinion deserves personal attacks, I am a concerned Packers fan and I see the lack of a good RB being a problem as to why our O isnt clicking. Just because my opinion doesnt jive with yours doesnt mean Im wrong or your right. Its people like you that think if its not what you agree with then you hurl personal attacks and assume that you know more football than they do that makes people not want to participate in these forums. Addressing the MJD comment, thats NOT what I want or ever insisted. I NEVER said that we have any RB thats better than Cedric to hand the ball to. My issue is that we couldve picked up Michael Bush or someone that has more upside and more of a breakaway back than Cedric is in FA. I guess its just because Im new posting here that some of you want to bash me. Thats ok, I just cant see how some of you cant even understand where Im coming from or that we deserve better than Cedric Benson being our feature back. How does that not make a little sense? GO PACK GO

Ok, I can see a point of yours. I apologize about the name called, my bad, wont happen again.

But, how can you even say we are in need of a guy better to hand the ball off to than ced benson? You cannot deny that he is the best we have had in a long time. You also cannot say he isnt a proven RB. His stats don't lie. three years in a row of 1000+ yds with the bengals.....and they were not even that great of a team. Yeah, yeah, yeah....yards per carry, they don't mean much if you are getting the job done. In cinncy he GOT IT DONE, and here in Green Bay he will GET IT DONE. You have to give the guy time to develope into our system and learn our plays and lingo. His blockers or lack there of, also need to learn his style of running in order to properly block for him. He is basically starting all over.

You say "we could have picked up M. Bush"......do you have any idea what that would have cost us on our salary cap? He is a high profile player that demands a top dollar salary. With us having to re-sign G. Jennings, CM3, Raji, Arod and several other key players in the next couple years, we would have killed our ability to retain talent. TT has to think ahead to the future, not just in the moment thinking. We got ced benson for $875,00 per year...THAT IS CHEAP for a decent RB with life left in his legs. C'mon man, give the guy a chance. So what you were saying does make little sense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I am glad to see Oshkoshpackfan apologize. While I disagree with ulfootball21 he is certainly being civil.

Oshkosh, I get a kick out of your posting "you cannot deny that…" and then posting something the other poster is obviously denying.

ulfootball21, I thought this point was obvious but apparently it wasn't: The fact that Benson's shortest run was 2 yards means he had NO negative rushing attempts, in spite of being met at or behind the LOS. That's what Benson does better than Grant or Starks IMO. And speaking of Starks, here's something you can't deny: Starks was a good enough RB for the run to, and through the playoffs in 2010. As I posted above, Benson isn't as fast as Starks, but he's better between the tackles. And he's a workhorse; in comparison Starks so far has been a show pony.

Would I like the Packers to have the best RB in football? Hell ya, how 'bout the best RB in the history of the game. But that’s not realistic and when you pine for a UFA RB, be sure to analyze the contract that back would have received, the impact on the Packers' cap and which current player(s) they couldn't extend because of that signing. Then look at Benson's contract.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ ok...lol...maybe I can't type for crap.....lol....but you got my point(s).

EXACTLY!!! I cannot begin to imagine who we would have to let go if we had signed a top dollar RB. Ced Benson was a STEAL. He may not be the corvette that everyone wants, but he is a 4th gen Z/28 camaro...lol....slightly used, decent mileage and can still run hard.

ulfootball21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, now this is the kind of conversation I look forward to when I go to a message board. I know Im not right very often, if at all but thats the whole point of these boards. We post our points of view and try to state our cases. i admit it I have never been a big Benson fan, I thought he was just an overrated rb. I personally do not like him being our only option to hand the ball to but you got me as far as who else we could get. I cant answer that, I guess I am just being biased. I think we can all agree that we all just want the Pack to be the best they can. Ill look forward to coming across you guys on future posts. Thanks for the apology Oshkosh.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are going to talk running game I am for a one-two punch of Starks and Benson. I would use them both. It would take a lot of pressure off our passing game while it gets in gear. Ultimately I think our offense needs to rely more on passing than running game but it never hurts to have the running game as an option to pound the ball for short yardage and for 3rd down conversions when it's 3rd and short.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't Alex Green have that "quick-burst" that could benefit us on short passes, draws, screens?

Benson has done very well with short passes.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Doesn't Alex Green have that "quick-burst" that could benefit us on short passes, draws, screens?

Benson has done very well with short passes.
He does Frank and though we haven't seem it, Starks was very productive in the passing game in Buffalo as I recall. I believe we may see a bit of Starks this weekend.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno where they all are.
But one of them moved to Seattle. Looks like he should have stuck around.
Could have used his help against the Taints on that goal line play.

Members online

Latest posts