Let's not ignore two simple truths about last night

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were beating Seattle at their own game for three and a half quarters in their house. Unfortunately, the game does not end in three and a half quarters.

What happened was quite simple: We thought we had the game won with 5 minutes remaining. We didn't finish the game. We let up and our intensity level dropped and we lost momentum. Seattle took advantage of this and its why they won. You cannot have an intensity lapse in the final 5 minutes of a game against a great team like Seattle in their house. Otherwise, what we saw happened will happen.

So I don't buy that we are not physical enough or good enough to beat Seattle. Fact is, we were ready to celebrate going to the Super Bowl 5 minutes too early and it proved to be our demise.

Our failure to finish the game is all that I took away from that loss.

Simple as that.

Last edited:

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so the packers might now be physically tough enough but they sure aren't mentally tough enough to finish games like that one. And it showed.

The failure to finish the game comes down to coaching. You cannot leave a team like the seahawks hanging around and give them any hope of a comeback, pile on the points until the game is over.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy played it safe. and the perfect storm of bad luck plays allowed seattle to come back. players and coaches to blame? yes. But come on!!!. Any of a dozen plays bounce our way, no brainfarts, little execution, or a first down... we win, and we are still champions... I feel worse because we should have won. we were the better team. and fate decided it wasnt meant to be... hard one to take. I cant imagine how the actual players and organization feels... wow.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New so the packers might now be physically tough enough but they sure aren't mentally tough enough to finish games like that one. And it showed.
This team will bounce back and be better for it. If we keep Bulaga, Cobb and Guion and have another good draft, this team will be dominating next year. And I'm all in favor of continuing to use CM3 like we did the second half of the season too.

I remember the Cowboys game in 1994, I believe. Favre got smacked in the head pretty ******* a goal line run. From that point on it was like he elevated his entire game to another level. I think this game was this team's smack in the head.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were beating Seattle at their own game for three and a half quarters in their house. Unfortunately, the game does not end in three and a half quarters.

What happened was quite simple: We thought we had the game won with 5 minutes remaining. We didn't finish the game. We let up and our intensity level dropped and we lost momentum. Seattle took advantage of this and its why they won. You cannot have an intensity lapse in the final 5 minutes of a game against a great team like Seattle in their house. Otherwise, what we saw happened will happen.

So I don't buy that we are not physical enough or good enough to beat Seattle. Fact is, we were ready to celebrate going to the Super Bowl 5 minutes too early and it proved to be our demise.

Our failure to finish the game is all that I took away from that loss.

Simple as that.
really? That's all? The past five years of watching this team get its *** handed to it in the playoffs hasn't made you realize that this team is soft? I swear Packer fans sure have some serious blinders on when it comes to the deficiencies of the team. this wasn't some one time occurrence for the Packers this is the kind of s*** that has happened to the Packers for the past 5 years straight it was a random it wasn't cooky it wasn't just one of those things it was the same continual pattern of the Packers have shown for the past 5 years I don't understand how so many people are not just frustrated to all hell with it.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team will bounce back and be better for it. If we keep Bulaga, Cobb and Guion and have another good draft, this team will be dominating next year. And I'm all in favor of continuing to use CM3 like we did the second half of the season too.

I remember the Cowboys game in 1994, I believe. Favre got smacked in the head pretty ******* a goal line run. From that point on it was like he elevated his entire game to another level. I think this game was this team's smack in the head.

If they need a smack in the head to realize that 5 minutes left in the NFC Championship against the defending champions on their field isn't the time to start coasting, then I seriously question their mental make up and/or coaching.

We can talk about next year all we want, and I certainly hope they can take that next step next year, but there are no guarantees. We don't know what will happen in the offseason, and we have no way of knowing if we will remain as healthy next year as we did this year. You can never assume you'll make it back, which is why you have to finish every time and they didn't finish last night.

I remember as a teenager watching the Packers and Broncos in the Super Bowl and thinking the Packers had all the makings of a dynasty. Not only did we not win, we didn't make it back for 13 years after that. Never take anything for granted. We took a late lead for granted last night. It's a lesson learned, but a lesson learned too late.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they need a smack in the head to realize that 5 minutes left in the NFC Championship against the defending champions on their field isn't the time to start coasting, then I seriously question their mental make up and/or coaching.

If you say so. They didn't start "coasting" as you put it. They were on the wrong end of about 4 or 5 bizarre plays that didn't go their way. If you reset that game to the 5:00 mark we win that thing 95% of the time.

I remember as a teenager watching the Packers and Broncos in the Super Bowl and thinking the Packers had all the makings of a dynasty.

And why on earth did you think that? They had Reggie White retiring (for a year anyway) an aging OL, and a lot of free agents to try to re-sign.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
really? That's all? The past five years of watching this team get its *** handed to it in the playoffs hasn't made you realize that this team is soft? I swear Packer fans sure have some serious blinders on when it comes to the deficiencies of the team.

And others have some serious Chicken Little "sky is falling" BS going on any time the Packers lose a game. "Soft" my ***. I suppose the Seahawks were "soft" for 3.66 quarters yesterday.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also had the best NFL player in his prime, a dominant defense, a top RB, and two really good TEs. Don't act like I was the only one thinking it at the time. 'Aging OL' is ridiculous revisionist history. Verba was a rookie. Taylor was still young. Even Winters still had another 5 years left at that point. The only one on the way out was Wilkerson and he certainly wasn't going to make or break a dynasty at that point in his career.

As for your other point, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Morgan Burnett goes straight to the turf after an INT with 5 minutes left and you cannot see why the term 'coasting ' is used?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
really? That's all? The past five years of watching this team get its *** handed to it in the playoffs hasn't made you realize that this team is soft? I swear Packer fans sure have some serious blinders on when it comes to the deficiencies of the team. this wasn't some one time occurrence for the Packers this is the kind of s*** that has happened to the Packers for the past 5 years straight it was a random it wasn't cooky it wasn't just one of those things it was the same continual pattern of the Packers have shown for the past 5 years I don't understand how so many people are not just frustrated to all hell with it.

Yes, that's all. And what game were you watching? We were the physical team for three and a half quarters. It dang sure wasn't Seattle during that time. We were whipping their tails until the final 5 minutes of that game.

We didn't finish the game. We were too busy celebrating our Super Bowl trip and patting ourselves on the back around that 5 minute mark, and this caused our intensity level to drop and it forced momentum to go into Seattle's favor and they are a good enough team to take advantage of that opening, which is exactly what they did. We let our guards down and got punched in the mouth. Plain and simple. We were caught with our pants down in other words.

It wasn't because "Seattle was too physical for us" - Not by a long shot.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The chain of mistakes by the Packers that led up to the Seahawks' comeback was far too incredible just to reduce it all to the Packers being soft. The Packers kicked the Seahawks' *** for 3 quarters, and it was only their own errors and McCarthy's choosing to play conservative that gave the Seahawks the chance, and they took every gift the Packers gave them and did something with it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Both guys need to go. Feel bad for Bostick...not so much for Brad Jones he's just awful.

I agree that the Packers should cut Brad Jones during the offseason but don´t forget he forced the fumble on Baldwin´s kickoff return.

The Packers won the Super Bowl four years ago!!!

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers should cut Brad Jones during the offseason but don´t forget he forced the fumble on Baldwin´s kickoff return.

Oh I didn't forget. I was thinking about it when I wrote that. It was a huge play...and unfortunately we'd be giving Jones his props if the Pack had won...but that didn't happen so maybe its unfair but he doesn't get many props from me for making 1 great play all year.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that's all. And what game were you watching? We were the physical team for three and a half quarters. It dang sure wasn't Seattle during that time. We were whipping their tails until the final 5 minutes of that game.

We didn't finish the game. We were too busy celebrating our Super Bowl trip and patting ourselves on the back around that 5 minute mark, and this caused our intensity level to drop and it forced momentum to go into Seattle's favor and they are a good enough team to take advantage of that opening, which is exactly what they did. We let our guards down and got punched in the mouth. Plain and simple. We were caught with our pants down in other words.

It wasn't because "Seattle was too physical for us" - Not by a long shot.

Um, thanks for proving that my comments about us being soft are accurate. I think? You fully admit that our intensity level dropped, that we let our guard done and we got punched in the mouth. That is called soft, an it is the same thing the Packers have done for 5 straight years.

I did not say they were to physical for us, I perfectly explained when I talked about being soft I was talking about the mental aspect of the game. But go ahead and continue to assume things if you would like.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And others have some serious Chicken Little "sky is falling" BS going on any time the Packers lose a game. "Soft" my ***. I suppose the Seahawks were "soft" for 3.66 quarters yesterday.

You don't think the past 5 years of embarrassing playoff losses is a problem. Not in the slightest? You don't think it has anything to do with a problem within this organization? You think the likes of Seattle in back to back years and NE now in their 6th superbowl appearance under Belichek is just pure luck?

I ask because. if you honestly believe there is nothing wrong with the Packers, there is not point in even having a discussion with you because you truly are blinded by your homerism. And if you think there are problems, please pray tell, what are they?

And to answer your question, yes, the Seahawks were soft for most of that game, but they were not when it matted most unlike the Packers who are almost always soft when it matters most.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't think the past 5 years of embarrassing playoff losses is a problem. Not in the slightest? You don't think it has anything to do with a problem within this organization? You think the likes of Seattle in back to back years and NE now in their 6th superbowl appearance under Belichek is just pure luck?

I ask because. if you honestly believe there is nothing wrong with the Packers, there is not point in even having a discussion with you because you truly are blinded by your homerism. And if you think there are problems, please pray tell, what are they?

And to answer your question, yes, the Seahawks were soft for most of that game, but they were not when it matted most unlike the Packers who are almost always soft when it matters most.

yeah, if Seattle had the injuries to the positions we did on defense last year, no they most likely don't win a super bowl. and this year, yes they got lucky. Kudos for making some plays, but they didn't make them all. GB gave them a 2 point conversion and they gave them an onside kick. They didn't even have to hit anybody to make the recover, it was pathetic. A whole lot of things that rarely happen, all lined up in the final minutes for Seattle. They are extremely fortunate to even be in a position to try and defend a title right now.

The Packers are certainly a team of players and staff that deserve some criticism, but the lengths that some of you go is absolutely asinine.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
4th and inches, not just going to a game we are talking SB, a victory every Packer fan has been waiting on all the past 3 and outs would have been forgiven if he had just should some heart, on the road the crowd was gone, MM's lack of aggression should really have the front office wondering if he can take the Packers to anymore championships, and outside of Clay Matthews none of the other players showed any I'll use the term FERIOUSITY if you looked at the Sea Hawks side lines they were firing themselves up Marshawn Lynch dancing and eating his whatevers on the side line, (oh he did get fined for and obscene gesture after scoring a TD) can some tell me if they ever saw A-rod banging with MM over plays being called? I am afraid we will see the same come next year which will put us in the position of always having to win the Division to get in the playoffs at all, can someone out there tell me whatever happen to Kevin Greene being considered for the DC position?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts