Let's not ignore two simple truths about last night

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. As of last night Seattle is hands down a whole nother level better than us as a football team right now. This has actually been mentioned by other posters so I'm not going to say anything other than that.

2. This team is soft and weak and it has been proven time and time again by teams like the Giants the 49ers and now the Seahawks. On top of this now this team as of last night has also played scared. They we're so scared of Richard Sherman that not only was not a single pass thrown in that direction they didn't even look in that direction. Think about that, the supposedly best quarterback in the entire league was so scared of 1 player that they didn't even look in that direction. An entire one third of a football field was ignored because they were scared of it.

That is flat out embarrassing and the entire organization should be ashamed of themselves. The Packers were scared to play football the way they wanted to and instead played football exactly how Seattle wants them to and because of this they got a mudhole stomped in them last night.

The entire culture and attitude in the Green Bay locker room needs to change or what we witnessed last night will be the same result we see every time we face another elite team. Sure we will continue to win lots of football games and we will continue to be considered one of the better teams in the NFL but the goal is not to be better it is to be the best and until this team decides they want to be the best there will be a lot of disappointments come playoff time for this organization.

One last thing I wanted to mention was that I've seen and heard a lot of people complaining about Clinton-Dix's missed tackles last night but you know what? He missed tackles last night because he was playing with energy, enthusiasm and aggressiveness in his first NFL football game ever. He failed last night because he tried and he will get better and that is acceptable. Unfortunately a whole lot of the rest of this football team failed because they didn't even try last night and that is unacceptable.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, #1 is a truth, but the rest is opinion.

if you think that is opinion you did not even watch a second of last night's football game cuz everything I said and number two is the truth period end of story.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
if you think that is opinion you did not even watch a second of last night's football game cuz everything I said and number two is the truth period end of story.
Dix is not ever going to be a good tackler if he keeps leaving his feet to dive low at people. He needs to keep his feet on the ground and drive into the ball carrier.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dix is not ever going to be a good tackler if he keeps leaving his feet to dive low at people. He needs to keep his feet on the ground and drive into the ball carrier.

I absolutely agree with everything you say however you can see the talent it's there he has it and I firmly believe he will get better he is going to be that typical aggressive safety that is always in the right position and around the ball. Now i could be wrong about that and he could just be full of talent and never learns that this is no longer college and in the NFL you got to do things a certain way but he definitely has the talent and I do believe he will learn.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#2 is not "opinion". If you are comparing football teams, that is fact, as the whole nation saw again last night.
Now can it change? Well.....

1. As of last night Seattle is hands down a whole nother level better than us as a football team right now. This has actually been mentioned by other posters so I'm not going to say anything other than that.

2. This team is soft and weak and it has been proven time and time again by teams like the Giants the 49ers and now the Seahawks. On top of this now this team as of last night has also played scared. They we're so scared of Richard Sherman that not only was not a single pass thrown in that direction they didn't even look in that direction. Think about that, the supposedly best quarterback in the entire league was so scared of 1 player that they didn't even look in that direction. An entire one third of a football field was ignored because they were scared of it.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- Brad Jones has to be one of the worst starting ILBs in the NFL.

- Derek Sherrod is a bust. Admit it and cut your losses. If he is the guy protecting Rodgers with Bulaga out, Rodgers is going to end up hurt again.

D

Deleted member 6794

Derek Sherrod is a bust. Admit it and cut your losses. If he is the guy protecting Rodgers with Bulaga out, Rodgers is going to end up hurt again.

We don't have any other option though at the moment. Don't think Jeremy Vujnovich would be an upgrade and there aren't a lot of impact free agents available.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dix has a knack for being in the right place (i.e., involved in a lot of plays), which is very encouraging. The staff will work with him on technique and with more reps he'll relax a bit and complete some of those plays he was in position for last night. Ha-Ha will be alright.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think they're as far ahead of us as you suggest. I think Seattle did a better job seizing opportunities than we did but bear in mind that we had a lot of opportunities to to make plays and failed. Sam Shields almost had a pick 6 their first drive which then popped up and Brad Jones couldn't hold onto it. Then Mike Daniels roughs the punter and there you have it a 10 point swing in Seattle's favor. Dix nearly had his hands on another pick and then you get two drive killing plays that were wiped out by Brad Jones playing with bad technique in coverage, i assume that thats rust since he was usually pretty good in coverage in the past. 16 of their points came from shoddy plays by our offense and let's not forget Rodgers inexplicable misses on atleast 3 different 3rd down plays, easy tosses to open receivers. IMHO the game was closer than the score, it came down to execution and not missing easy plays. They executed better than we did.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is flat out embarrassing and the entire organization should be ashamed of themselves. The Packers were scared to play football the way they wanted to and instead played football exactly how Seattle wants them to and because of this they got a mudhole stomped in them last night.

The entire culture and attitude in the Green Bay locker room needs to change or what we witnessed last night will be the same result we see every time we face another elite team. Sure we will continue to win lots of football games and we will continue to be considered one of the better teams in the NFL but the goal is not to be better it is to be the best and until this team decides they want to be the best there will be a lot of disappointments come playoff time for this organization.

One last thing I wanted to mention was that I've seen and heard a lot of people complaining about Clinton-Dix's missed tackles last night but you know what? He missed tackles last night because he was playing with energy, enthusiasm and aggressiveness in his first NFL football game ever. He failed last night because he tried and he will get better and that is acceptable. Unfortunately a whole lot of the rest of this football team failed because they didn't even try last night and that is unacceptable.
I totally agree with everything you said...I'm bummed by what I saw, especially after all the hype of the preseason...McCarthy saying this is his best offseason in his career, no-huddle, lacy & Rodgers, peppers & healthy secondary, blah blah blah...My NEW expectations for this season are: 10 wins minimum (if Rodgers makes it) and loss in playoffs by someone not in our division.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- Brad Jones has to be one of the worst starting ILBs in the NFL.

- Derek Sherrod is a bust. Admit it and cut your losses. If he is the guy protecting Rodgers with Bulaga out, Rodgers is going to end up hurt again.

Yeah look at how badly he gets beat here,

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Oh shoot that was Bryan Bulaga, alright this time I'll get that Derrick Sherrod Imma promisin ya:

Damnit Bryan Bulaga again. I guess Bryan was also taken to the woodshed his first time in Seattle as well. Let's give Sherrod a few regular season games, more reps in practice and more preparation before deciding he can't play.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Just curious, why wasn't this added to existing Packers/Seahawks thread(s)?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah look at how badly he gets beat here,

Oh shoot that was Bryan Bulaga, alright this time I'll get that Derrick Sherrod Imma promisin ya:

Damnit Bryan Bulaga again. I guess Bryan was also taken to the woodshed his first time in Seattle as well. Let's give Sherrod a few regular season games, more reps in practice and more preparation before deciding he can't play.

Seriously, showing Bulaga's worst game from 2 years ago proves...what?

We've given Sherrod almost 4 years. At no point has he shown he can play.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opinion is when you say something like the Packers didn't pass to Richard Sherman's side because they were "playing scared". Personally, in my opinion, if you have 2 CBs and one is much better than the other, it is "playing smart" to attack the weaker player.

D

Deleted member 6794

Opinion is when you say something like the Packers didn't pass to Richard Sherman's side because they were "playing scared". Personally, in my opinion, if you have 2 CBs and one is much better than the other, it is "playing smart" to attack the weaker player.

Not targeting Sherman at all makes it easier for the defense, especially the safeties though. Because of it Earl Thomas, who is capable of covering the entire field as a single high safety had only two-thirds of it to cover.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score

You have to watch out for thread headers proclaiming the "truth". That is amusingly enough the domain of the 20 something year olds.

I am a Chargers' fan. From the outside I fail to see what the fuss is about. We are talking about a team that crushed our main divisional rival by 35 pts in the SB. Did you guys really think you were that good?

I expect that in week two the Chargers get hammered just like you did... (even though it is a home game for us). Our fan base has very tempered expectations having missed the playoffs recently. I believe you are headed where we were before it turns around the other way. You are going to have to get used to losing some football games without calling your own organization a disgrace... (which it obviously is not).

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not ready to jump off any cliffs because the team had a slow, sloppy start. IMO this team, when firing on all cylinders, can hang with anyone.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not end of story. Apparently you have not clue what an opinion is.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The better team won last night, no doubt about it, but "a whole nother level"? This wasn't some top 25 college team against some 1AA team that ended 49-0. It wasn't even the super bowl game last year which was way worse than this. When teams are on "a whole nother level" the "lower level team" never leads and it's not tied until three minutes before halftime.

As for the "they're soft, we'll never win" bit, you're mistaking "soft" with "not built to beat running teams". Having a smaller, more mobile dline and aiming your linebackers more at outside pass rushing than run stuff in the middle will mean that you'll have a great chance against the vast majority of the league but have trouble with the seahawks, 49ers and vikings. I was hoping that they'd move back towards the Howard Green/Raji/Jolly type line that won them a super bowl, but they wanted to go in another direction and will now have to find a way to win that type of game. Don't pretend though that that's impossible just so you can be the most hysterical of the hysterical tough guys. We got smoked by the 9ers two years ago and if Hyde makes that pick last year we beat them. Can they do it? Sure. It'll take some luck, but every team (including the seahawks) needs that too. Will they do it? We have 15 more games at least to find out.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) The defense is still bad. Defense can't stop the run, rush the passer or get off the field on third down. It's just the same thing over and over and over again.

2) Derrick Sherrod is HORRIBLE.

D

Deleted member 6794

1) The defense is still bad. Defense can't stop the run, rush the passer or get off the field on third down. It's just the same thing over and over and over again.

I think the pass rush will be fine, fortunately we don't face an elusive guy like Wilson every game.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the pass rush will be fine, fortunately we don't face an elusive guy like Wilson every game.

I agree with that. As long as the Packers face a "pocket passer" the defense should be much better. Outside of Cam Newton (and Geno Smith if you even want to consider him an NFL quarterback), the Packers face a ton of pocket passers. The only issue is that the playoffs will bring either Wilson or Kaepernick.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, showing Bulaga's worst game from 2 years ago proves...what?

We've given Sherrod almost 4 years. At no point has he shown he can play.

He held up well in Atlanta and KC pre-injury. He also has played well in the pre-season despite one poor showing against St. Louis. Uneven play is common among most players, especially those who haven't played much. Sherrod suffered a freak injury, lost two years and showed well in camp this year. IMHO he's earned more time before being called a bust. Using your standard Aaron Rodgers would have been regarded a bust after his hamstring injury following the Cowboys game.

Showing that Bulaga played poorly on an impossibly loud fast track...

Members online

Latest posts