Letroy Guion arrested for DUI

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Guion was pulled over at or after 4AM and the breathalyzer registered a reading OVER .08, making him legally over the limit. Assuming he started celebrating the night before (e.g. 11PM) that's 5 hours of drinking/partying. For a 300 lb. man that means he had AT LEAST 12 MGD's or Buds (4.2% alcohol - 2+ pitchers!).
http://www.orrlaw.com/aop/dui/prevention/bac-calculators/

Not going to argue that fentanyl, heroine, cocaine and/or pain pills are a societal problem... Guion is a 30 year old millionaire who's been suspended twice for substance issues ~ he should've known better than to drive.

That's fine but I don't think a guy should lose his Job because he blew .006 over the limit while on vacation. That's a little harsh IMO. This topic was discussed before regarding players and getting troubIe. I brought up Donovan McNabb who got 2 DUI's in a one year period and one was an "extreme DUI" and he currently works for ESPN so what's the difference?

Reaction score
That's fine but I don't think a guy should lose his Job because he blew .006 over the limit while on vacation. That's a little harsh IMO. This topic was discussed before regarding players and getting troubIe. I brought up Donovan McNabb who got 2 DUI's in a one year period and one was an "extreme DUI" and he currently works for ESPN so what's the difference?
I agree. By itself this situation normally wouldn't be enough to send a decent, veteran NFL player packing. What concerns many fans (and I'm guessing some coaches and players) is that he is becoming a constant distraction. He's had multiple 1/4 year suspensions and here we are again before he even fulfilled his last punishment.
IMO the worst part is the precedent this sets for our team. We just signed a 1st round Tackle last year, now in the offseason we signed a veteran DT and then inked another second day DT just recently so I'm not overly concerned with his outcome (apparently neither is he)
While nobody wants Letroy to get into trouble, trouble seems to follow him and we can't afford to keep looking the other way. IF he makes the 53, this is his last straw and I'd make him acutely aware of it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I agree. By itself this situation normally wouldn't be enough to send a decent, veteran NFL player packing. What concerns many fans (and I'm guessing some coaches and players) is that he is becoming a constant distraction. He's had multiple 1/4 year suspensions and here we are again before he even fulfilled his last punishment.
IMO the worst part is the precedent this sets for our team. We just signed a 1st round Tackle last year, now in the offseason we signed a veteran DT and then inked another second day DT just recently so I'm not overly concerned with his outcome (apparently neither is he)
While nobody wants Letroy to get into trouble, trouble seems to follow him and we can't afford to keep looking the other way. IF he makes the 53, this is his last straw and I'd make him acutely aware of it.

Well as far as him making the roster is a whole different story. He has definitely backed himself into a corner here and if the Packers decide to stand by him he is gonna need a great camp and probably a guy or two to get hurt by the time his suspension is up.

I would have to agree he hasn't made things that easy for himself.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup...he'd better have a hell of a camp and preseason. if he does he's got a good chance of staying...that and if someone gets hurt while he's on suspension. he's got a thin line to walk. (pun intended)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually "texting and driving" which is much more prevalant is considered much more dangerous then someone driving after 3-4 beers which appears to be Guion's range of consumption based on breathalyzer. Maybe they should start arresting people and taking away there rights away for texting and driving too. This DUI charge isn't gonna stick...
Maybe he missed his bed time?
From here, I can say I am guilty of this most mornings on my way HOME from work.
Research shows that being awake for 17 hours has the same affect on your driving ability as a BAC (blood alcohol concentration) of 0.05. Going without sleep for 24 hours has the same affect as a BAC of 0.1, double the legal limit.
They say 1/3 of rural single vehicle accidents may be caused by tired drivers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the Packers to hold on to Guion after his suspension ends but as long as there aren't several injuries at the position to release him at that point. Unfortunately it seems he can't stay out of trouble even with his career being on the line.

The only thing that makes me think they could possibly cut him right away is that a DUI is a bit different than PEDs or even being banned for smoking pot. Players smoke pot or use PEDs and most fans don't even care any more but getting a DUI is a bit more damaging in the public eye. Teams have cut players instantly for getting a DUI in the past. I'm not saying they will do it but I could easily see them taking the hard line stance. Especially since this is not his first run in.

D

Deleted member 6794

Other than Adams who has yet to see an NFL snap, I would take Vince Wilfork and the 15-25 snaps per game he would provide us on 1st and 2nd down over any DL we have on the roster straight up.

I definitely prefer having Daniels and Clark on the field over Wilfork even on first and second down. Most likely that's true for every other defensive lineman currently on the roster.

Cut Guion, take the $3.28Mil cap savings, and sign 6'-2", 330 lbs 30 yr. old Dan Williams formerly with Oakland. 1st down run stuffer, help keep other DL's in rotation fresh. He & Price supply the beef inside, let others explode into the backfield and pressure QB's on downs 2 & 3.

Williams might present a decent option to the defensive line rotation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess there's always details we don't always know. I suppose theres a scenario where I could see him not being as guilty as I initially thought, but i'm still leaning towards this guy not even making it to camp on this roster.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I'm all for giving anybody a second chance for making a mistake but jeez, how many chances do we have to give to this guy ?
He's becoming a liability now.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At some point you have to stand up and take accountability for your actions. LG has shown on multiple occasions now he is not able to handle his business like an adult. It is hard enough to win in the league with guys you can count on let alone guys you can't. We never know if this guy is going to be able to suit up and regardless of his talent level, it's time to go. I hope and pray LG can get things turned around and reach his full potential at some point but I believe this needs to be done somewhere other than Green Bay.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think the Packers are more handcuffed to Guion then people assume. He plays a larger role in the improved run defense then he gets credit for. They let Pennel go. Until someone can show in camp that they can play the nose effectively I don't expect Guion to be going anywhere. Some see Francois as more of a 3-4 DE

It might be either keep Guion and deal with his Shenanigans or let him go with no proven replacement and have a new Crack on defense at Nose. Some of these fans that want Guion gone will be the same ones crying when and if we can't stuff the run effectively.

It's a .086 DUI. Let's see what the guy can do in camp before jumping off the reservation here.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the Packers are more handcuffed to Guion then people assume. He plays a larger role in the improved run defense then he gets credit for. They let Pennel go. Until someone can show in camp that they can play the nose effectively I don't expect Guion to be going anywhere. Some see Francois as more of a 3-4 DE

It might be either keep Guion and deal with his Shenanigans or let him go with no proven replacement and have a new Crack on defense at Nose. Some of these fans that want Guion gone will be the same ones crying when and if we can't stuff the run effectively.

It's a .086 DUI. Let's see what the guy can do in camp before jumping off the reservation here.

While I agree the Packers organization needs and is/was relying on Guion, as are his 51+ teammates. However, how many chances does a guy get? I don't care what his BAC came back at, he was legally drunk and driving. Would it hurt the team on the field to cut the guy? Yeah, probably......but what is it saying to your team when you keep looking the other way? There are enough hard working players, who play by the rules, looking for jobs.......time to cut ties IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm fine with the Packers holding on to Guion until his suspension ends but as long as there aren't any injuries on the defensive line I don't expect him to make the team afterwards.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
While I agree the Packers organization needs and is/was relying on Guion, as are his 51+ teammates. However, how many chances does a guy get? I don't care what his BAC came back at, he was legally drunk and driving. Would it hurt the team on the field to cut the guy? Yeah, probably......but what is it saying to your team when you keep looking the other way? There are enough hard working players, who play by the rules, looking for jobs.......time to cut ties IMO.

I agree that if anyone needed to be dotting the I's and crossing the T's it was Letroy Guion. In fact if the Packers didn't think they needed him I have no doubt he would already be gone. The coaches and personnel staff love this guy so I'm am sure certain people are trying to be swayed a certain way with "damage control" regarding his recent charge.

I'm not trying to be Guion's defense attorney here but from a personnel standpoint the Packers look pretty good with what they have developing and what they drafted(Adams) and aquired(Francois) along with Letroy.

Depth is everything these days along the DL.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm fine with the Packers holding on to Guion until his suspension ends but as long as there aren't any injuries on the defensive line I don't expect him to make the team afterwards.

He will definitely need to earn it and get some help along the way.

D

Deleted member 6794

In fact if the Packers didn't think they needed him I have no doubt he would already be gone.

As I've already mentioned repeatedly the Packers don't gain anything from releasing Guion before the end of his suspension.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As I've already mentioned repeatedly the Packers don't gain anything from releasing Guion before the end of his suspension.

Maybe not from a financial or roster standpoint, but what message are you sending players? "If you are talented enough, we may look the other way when you F**k up"?

Had Guion kept his nose clean (once again), I have no problem keeping him around until his suspension is done and see if he is needed, but when a guy does this, while already facing a 4 game suspension, after coming off of a previous suspension, I don't know......3 strikes and you're out, comes to mind.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe not from a financial or roster standpoint, but what message are you sending players? "If you are talented enough, we may look the other way when you F**k up"?

Well, even if you don't like it there's no doubt that talented players receive more leeway from their teams than ones on the bubble.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well just have to see how this plays out.

Once again, if the Packers felt comfortable they had a replacement for Guion on the roster he would be gone as there would be no reason to deal with the distraction.

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, if the Packers felt comfortable they had a replacement for Guion on the roster he would be gone as there would be no reason to deal with the distraction.

I believe that a lot of fans overestimate the distraction Guion's actions have caused for the Packers, especially considering all of it happened during the offseason.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Had Guion kept his nose clean (once again), I have no problem keeping him around until his suspension is done and see if he is needed, but when a guy does this, while already facing a 4 game suspension, after coming off of a previous suspension, I don't know......3 strikes and you're out, comes to mind.

The pressure to win is so high that I think personnel departments are always walking a tight rope in regards to these type of things. I'm sure thoughts of a Super Bowl run in December runs through these decision makers minds and it could come down to having a guy like Letroy Guion available to help that run be successful.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion was already facing a 4 game suspension for violating the league's PED policy. Now, more than likely, the NFL will tack on a few more games for his DUI. Sure there's no harm in keeping him on the roster until after his suspensions are done... except that it sets bad precedent. He's a multiple offender, having had multiple suspensions. How much more UNavailable will this a__hole make himself to his teammates, coaches and team? I'm disappointed (not the first time) that he's even still on the roster.