1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Let Greg Jennings walk...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Mozhino, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Mozhino

Mozhino Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I know this sounds a little harsh. But in light of what Calvin Johnson just made, if Jennings is looking for a monster deal, or even anything over $10million a season, I say let him walk. We have a lot of other core players becoming free agents like Raji, Lang, Mathews, Rogers, Finely again, in the next couple of seasons and we can't afford everyone. On top of that we have Jordy Nelson who will want paying again soon if he has another great season.

2. GWheels

GWheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    Jennings is a great receiver and a great character guy. We need as many guys like that as we can. It's not all about being 6'5 and 230lbs and great speed and hands, it's about being a leader and for younger players to see what being a professional is about.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Mozhino

Mozhino Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I love the guy. But he will be 30 when the 2013 season starts. And i think we have the depth at WR to let him walk. I'd prefer to sacrifice him over BJ or Mathews, an area where depth is very limited. Either way there will be some tough decisions to be made in the next few seasons, as much as you would like, you can't keep everybody.

5. Rocky11

Rocky11 Superbowl bound Pack

Ratings:
    +61
    Forget Favre is right. His leadership in an invaluale asset. He is not a diva as many wide receivers are. That counts a lot towards locker room stability. It is all a part of the game. He needs to stay. He is getting older but also wiser.

• Like Like x 3
  6. ARod

ARod Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    I'd like to see him stay on as long Driver has. He's a good player with a great attitude and leadership skills. It's not only about production on the field.

7. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Don't underestimate the Packers' front office. I don't know how they do it but they get these receivers to sign extraordinarily cap-friendly deals. Greg Jennings is on a 4-yr 27m deal he signed in 2009. Hell, Laurent Robinson got a 5yr 32m from the Jags and he had one good season as Dallas' No. 3.

The Packers will have to make some future sacrifices (or just restructure contracts like everybody else). But don't forget that C-Wood, D-Driver, C-Clifton, and R-Pickett aren't getting any younger. Nick Collins could save a few m if he retires. They could also cut A.J. Hawk if he doesn't perform better than 2011.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,039
    I saw the title and was like wtf, but you are right, if he asks for that kind of money he needs to find it somewhere else.

Its not like TT cant find another WR

9. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    So now we're talking about cutting Jennings if he, at some point, asks for more than $10M per season?

Ok.

I'd also like to go on record as saying I think we should let Matthews walk if he is looking to gain super powers by practicing voodoo sacrifices in the locker room.

• Like Like x 6
  10. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    You're not alone in your thinking, Mozhino. If Jennings is asking anywhere close to what his fair market value would be as of right now, I would not be shocked to see him gone at all. Let's hope he takes a hometown discount.

Here's the article from JS Online: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/142775005.html

11. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +357
    It is very bad to drink JoBoo's rum.........................................very bad! Comprende?

• Like Like x 2
  12. metallicblaze

metallicblaze Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19
    Clifton and Driver might be gone this year. I would look to restructure Woody and Pickett before releasing Jennings. Even Hawk if he doesn't do well this year.

13. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +965
    Cap will most likely go up with new TV deal. there will be room to give Greg his due, Packer for life. Thing about the NFL and the Cap is you can't keep all your superstars. Just look around the league. A-Rod is going to command a HUGE payday, so will Clay. BJ will get his Payday. Everyone else is negotiable. Draft and Develop.

14. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    He wants... A chicken?

15. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Not only is Jennings a great character guy and leader on this offense, but he's the most reliable and versatile receiver we have and have had in a long time. I'd like to see him retire a packer.

But I do think that it would be nice if we had a true #1. A big, tall vertical deep threat. We have a lot of guys on the shorter side.

16. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I think Nelson fits the 1 role.

17. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +622
    No receiver will get Calvin Johnson money for a long time... Nobody in the league, including the Redskins, will offer Jennings $130+M with $60M guaranteed.

The should/will be able to keep Jennings for much, much less than Johnson.

18. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +622
    Johnson got quarterback money

19. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Ways you can tell it's the off season # 248:
    Fans are so bored that they will even dare to speculate, and not wait till anything is confirmed, about players leaving because they think the player will want more money.
    We could wait and see what happens but what fun would that be?
    What are we gonna talk about instead?
    Packers license plates?
    Or the free collectible Aaron Rodgers cup you get with every fill up?

20. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,039
    I don't know if their is a bigger waste of money in the nfl than spending huge money on a WR.

21. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Calivin Johnson is an exception.
    He is Megatron.

Jennings is well worth what receivers like:
    Desean Jackson
    Laurent Robinson
    Marques Colston
    Miles Austin
    Vincent Jackson
    Hakeem Nicks
    Dwayne Bowe

22. Mozhino

Mozhino Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I think the point is that IF Jordy has another real decent season, the question arises who do you invest the money in? By todays market we could be looking at something like 4 years $55 Million. You can't possibly invest that kind of cash in both Jordy and Greg. And i'd prefer to stick that cash into a then 27 year old wide receiver compared to soon to be 30 year old one.

23. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Yeah it's those DL that he has trouble with. ;)

24. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Good point, although I'd say that huge money on a RB is the biggest waste.

25. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,039
    True.

Though Peterson can get you a couple wins in a season himself. Megatron didn't win 1 game a few yrs back

• Like Like x 1