LaVar Arrington CUT by Redskins

Reaction score
Yup he payed the Skins 4 million dollars to secure his freedom. He is now free to sign with any team, but as PFT.com wisely identifies, he must have a deal in place with another team that will allow him to be compensated the 4 million he gave up. They also go on to say they think its either the Vikings, Browns, or an outside chance of being the Steelers.

Maybe TT and the Packers have talked to Arrington, and he could become a Packer soon. But 4 million might be a little more than TT might be willing to spend, so it isn't too likely. But still, one can hope....

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nah

Arrington plays by his own rules, isnt a packer person, and is too much money.

but talented players are being cut, and its a good time to be a GB fan, with the money! yay!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think so too........that is another reason i see resigning Green as a positive. I think Favre would like him in the backfield.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll be 28 by the time the season starts. It's the injuries that are killing his status right now IMO. Wonder in price how he and Peterson compare (even witherspoon for that matter)

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually he could come rather cheap. Biggest problem he has is he plays without disipline wich is a fault of the previous systems he was in. The redskins had no continuity in coaching staff. I would say if you could get him in the 2-3 mil /year range snag him up

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would be the FA that Brett would return for. This guy nearly ended Brett's consecutive games record a couple of years back. If the Vikes pick him up you think Brett will return to GB to see this guy 2x's a year? If we can get him, our LB group just became a stand out group. Sign him.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While he had great talent coming out of college, I think the guy is a HEAD case, which has resulted in him regressing rather than progressing as a PRO. Here is a guy who will command BIG bucks and at the slightest rub become a malcontent and potentially a team cancer.

I love his talent -- despite his several injuries (including to his knees which are noteworthy) -- but worry about him from the shoulders up.

He will cost more than he is worth IMO

BTW Gibbs is one of the best coaches of all-time and LaVar paid 4.4 million to become a free agent -- why in the world do you think he would sign a blue light special contract with the Packers instead?

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe...however perhaps he just hasn't been in the right situation before. He came aboard the Skins ship when they were all bought and paid for Allstars with no unity. He was thrust into that environment. Then comes Fun and Gun and the emphasis is pure Offense. Granted Gibbs was one hell of a coach but may be past his prime in relating to his newer school players. Not saying that LA is not a head case but I would not dispose of the idea too quickly of bringing him into GB for a looksie.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
Maybe...however perhaps he just hasn't been in the right situation before. He came aboard the Skins ship when they were all bought and paid for Allstars with no unity. He was thrust into that environment. Then comes Fun and Gun and the emphasis is pure Offense. Granted Gibbs was one hell of a coach but may be past his prime in relating to his newer school players. Not saying that LA is not a head case but I would not dispose of the idea too quickly of bringing him into GB for a looksie.

Didn't Gibbs (true to the Great Coach he is) take the same team Shotty and EgoManiac failed with to the playoffs last season?

He is too expensive of a looksee. He is looking to break the bank.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gibbs did go to the playoffs with the help of the Eagles collapse, Cowboys collapse, and Giants blowing it. They also had a great Defense help them, with LA. If the deal was right, he could get his head straight and be a difference maker. It doesn't cost much to look is all I'm saying. If he is the full blown trouble maker, I concur, no cancer needed, but if he can be shown the light, wow, it would make an incredible LB corp. Grady Jackson was a malcontent as well, he's come around.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
calicheesehead said:

Didn't Gibbs (true to the Great Coach he is) take the same team Shotty and EgoManiac failed with to the playoffs last season?

I dont think he will be all that expensive. I believe he would go in the 2 mil a year range with perfomance incentives. He has struggled because of the lack of a consistant coaching method. He was allowed to be a free ranger on the field and he never had time to adjust to Gibbs mentality bottom line is some players dont mesh well with their coaches no matter how hard they try.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
Bruce said:
calicheesehead said:

I dont think he will be all that expensive. I believe he would go in the 2 mil a year range with perfomance incentives. He has struggled because of the lack of a consistant coaching method. He was allowed to be a free ranger on the field and he never had time to adjust to Gibbs mentality bottom line is some players dont mesh well with their coaches no matter how hard they try.

He paid $4.4 Million to get out of his contract in Washington. No way he signs for a contract of a -$2.4 million (that is a negative $2.4)

This is nothing more than unrealistic wishful thinking.

Let be clear -- he did not give up that money in future compensation, he paid out of his pocket to be released.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
He paid $4.4 Million to get out of his contract in Washington. No way he signs for a contract of a -$2.4 million (that is a negative $2.4)

Let be clear -- he did not give up that money in future compensation, he paid out of his pocket to be released.

Really? Here is what I read from PFT.com

ARRINGTON TURNED DOWN $6.5 MILLION

A reader has tipped us off to an unusual dynamic regarding the recent release of linebacker LaVar Arrington by the Redskins, which occurred when he agreed to waive $4.4 million in earned but unpaid signing bonus money. We've confirmed the following new information through a league source.

As it turns out, the 'Skins offered to convert the $6.5 million roster bonus owed to Arrington into a guaranteed signing bonus, which would have permitted it to be prorated over four years. The 'Skins also offered to move up all or part of the $4.4 million in deferred payments from his December 2003 signing bonus.

Arrington was poised at one point to accept the deal, but then opted for free agency.

So the maneuver results in a $10.9 million hole from which Arrington will now dig on the open market. And if his agents haven't lined up a deal that will pay him more than $10.9 million plus his $545,000 base salary in 2006, it will prove in hindsight to be a bad move.

Doesn't sound like he paid it out of his pocket.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bruce said:

Really? Here is what I read from PFT.com

ARRINGTON TURNED DOWN $6.5 MILLION

A reader has tipped us off to an unusual dynamic regarding the recent release of linebacker LaVar Arrington by the Redskins, which occurred when he agreed to waive $4.4 million in earned but unpaid signing bonus money. We've confirmed the following new information through a league source.

As it turns out, the 'Skins offered to convert the $6.5 million roster bonus owed to Arrington into a guaranteed signing bonus, which would have permitted it to be prorated over four years. The 'Skins also offered to move up all or part of the $4.4 million in deferred payments from his December 2003 signing bonus.

Arrington was poised at one point to accept the deal, but then opted for free agency.

So the maneuver results in a $10.9 million hole from which Arrington will now dig on the open market. And if his agents haven't lined up a deal that will pay him more than $10.9 million plus his $545,000 base salary in 2006, it will prove in hindsight to be a bad move.

Doesn't sound like he paid it out of his pocket.

That $6.5 million was due now -- like Favre's bonus is coming due. They had an agreement to guarentee and defer the $6.5 but to give him $4.4 million NOW -- that is what I mean out of his pocket.

So based on your fine Slueuth work it will take a contract of $11,445,000 for him to break even.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does not sound like the type TT has shown much interest in trying to get. He seems to like guys that have slid under the radar but have upside if their strengths fit with the scheme.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Does not sound like the type TT has shown much interest in trying to get. He seems to like guys that have slid under the radar but have upside if their strengths fit with the scheme.

I think you are correct warhawk.

In 2004. Arrington hurt his knee early in the season and played in only four games.

In April 2005, after his second knee surgery, Arrington then found himself unable to get on the field. He was a marginal player in the first six games of the season last year and didn't play at all in a loss at Denver. There was sense that Arrington wasn't a good fit in assistant coach Gregg Williams' disciplined defensive schemes. He also did not mesh with linebackers coach Dale Lindsey.

"I wasn't one of their guys, and maybe that was the direction they wanted to go in," Arrington said. "I've gotten older. I'm not just a young rookie who is as moldable. Maybe that's where the difficulties came in."

undisciplined aging player who calls him self un-moldable -- and how does this sound like a T.T. Packer kind of guy agaim????

Arrington eventually regained his starting job at midseason, but was not an every-down player and did not have the impact he had in years past. He finished the season without a sack.

The most damning fact is, the defense usually played well regardless of whether Arrington was on the field.

Members online

Latest posts