Last Night - A Classic Mike McCarthy Team

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, this isn't panic mode or any other cliche any of you want to throw out. Obviously, we have won a lot of games with Mike including a Super Bowl but there seems to be a common issue with his teams year after year - bad special teams, bad defense, and mediocre to poor offensive line play.

Normally, our offenses are great and last night was an exception that rule, just like our Super Bowl run was for our usually terrible defense. The problem with the Packers these last few years is that if our offense has an off night, we are done. As much faith as I have in Rodgers and Co. to put up a lot of points, we can't expect that there won't be games where the offense is a bit off or going up against a prolific defense like last night. Our defense needs to be able to make some plays and keep teams out of the endzone.

Just frustrating. Year in and year out we keep dealing with the exact same issues. At what point are some changes made with coordinators?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offense has been good but not great since MM took over play calling after Philbin left.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the sad part is the Packers focus so much on offense our defense and Oline gets blown off the ball we have a $100,000,000 QB WITH a $2 line and defenders who can't wrap up to save theyre life the whole defense needs evaluation!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Our offense has been good but not great since MM took over play calling after Philbin left.
Philbin certainly had input on the offensive game plan while he was in Green Bay, but McCarthy didn't "take over" play calling after Philbin left because he never gave it up. McCarthy has handled the play calling duties since he arrived as HC in Green Bay.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I seriously don't get why people continue to bag on Mike McCarthy every time something goes wrong on O. Zero credit for some of our greatest offensive masterpieces, and all on him when it goes in the gutter.

That being said, I don't deny we have some issues, most of which can be summed up in our current O-line injury depth, but that has nothing to do with play calling. I don't get either how people say he either doesn't run the ball enough, or he runs it up the middle too much, or he runs too much period, drives me crazy. Looks to me like he uses Eddie Lacy plenty enough as he should, even more concerning could be that concussion which I hope is no more than 1 week.

Where I do think we could get back to using a little more of are more screen passes in the playbook. Was our bread and butter kind of game back when Ahman Green was here and I certainly think not only RB screens but TE and WR screens could certainly help the O out a lot more when going up against these kinds of defenses. I'm also thinking we could give Quarless more of a chance to go up and get some balls against the LBs, if they're thrown at the right angles, but we'll see how that turns out.

But overall, I continue to say McCarthy's play selection has been among the best in the league. He's been able to modify the offense to go from being a pure spread version of the west coast, to being more run oriented and balanced out for the games it needs it. Given what many teams have done on defense since the days that our playing a 5 WR spread package was the standard, that's not the answer for beating the Seahawks. Gonna need a balance of the right type, and what type that is, well I don't think hardly any coaches currently know what that is. But I'm not going into criticize McCarthy yet.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does get frustrating year after year seeing the same issues over and over.ST and defensive issues especially. It is a like a redo of an old movie. Same story line,different characters. Offensively it is almost like we are too timid to try something because it will blow up in our face,but we will never know until we try. Edison I am sure didn't invent the light bulb the first try but the end result was worth it. Maybe MM should try that approach instead of staying in his comfort zone. Don't get me wrong I think MM is an awesome coach but horizons need to be expanded and on ST and D accountability is to be had for our blunders and underachievement

Members online

Latest posts