LaDarius Gunter released

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Apparently they told him yesterday, but it's taken him this long to make it to his car. I'm gonna miss that blazing speed.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm more surprised at seeing jean francois cut. so it's randall, house, king, jones, haha? wonder if king will get some snaps this sunday. you think he will go up against julio? just imagine if he did well against julio?

Reaction score
Really surprised by this I thought he
Looked good in preseason games would be a fine #5 corner I could understand letting a corner go but why not pipkins who
Could most likely go to practice squad I'm not so sure on Gunter. I thought they would let a corner go for Allison but the RJF plus this confuses me maybe they have their eye on somebody

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm more surprised at seeing jean francois cut. so it's randall, house, king, jones, haha? wonder if king will get some snaps this sunday. you think he will go up against julio? just imagine if he did well against julio?
Not gonna happen. King is a green very young rookie. The Packers need to double julio.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter had one of the worst testing compositions for a CB ever.

He's not good, and I'm about as big of a Miami fan as there is.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit, I was dead wrong on this one. I can't recall who called it but I spoke up rather vigorously and said there was no way LG would be gone. Granted, this was a few weeks back but still. I know it comes down to production and scheme fit but damn I was rooting for that dude. I think he could be a nice player in more of a zone scheme and don't believe he'll be unemployed for long. I think they may really like what they're seeing out of Pipkins because if not, why do it? As I mentioned before, I like Pip. Got to watch him in living color and he can play and certainly doesn't lack confidence. Whatever happens to LG I wish him the best. Seemed like a solid dude and this Packer fan will miss him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Looks like the Packers finally made Gunther the "fall guy" for the horrendous play of the CB's in 2016 :coffee:

Will be interesting to see what they plan on doing with the open roster spot. Promote from the PS or sign another player?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Another surprising move by the Packers, especially as the team didn't need to release two players to make room for Allison.

I don't believe King will receive any additional snaps this week because of this move as Gunter only played two snaps vs. Seattle. There's no way the coaching staff should even think about the rookie covering Julio.

Gunter had one of the worst testing compositions for a CB ever.

He's not good, and I'm about as big of a Miami fan as there is.

Gunter performed at a decent level in several games last year. He definitely doesn't possess the physical attributes to hold up as a #1 cornerback for an entire season though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the Packers finally made Gunther the "fall guy" for the horrendous play of the CB's in 2016 :coffee:

Will be interesting to see what they plan on doing with the open roster spot. Promote from the PS or sign another player?
I don't think they tried to make him the fall guy, that guy at least made Eastwood look so fine. But he's a guy with a skill set that will always keep him lower on the depth chart. He's always going to be a guy that can fill a specific role, but you're always trying to get better as well. He played so much last year because he was all we had healthy, not because he's that good. He works hard, he's ok in a pinch for certain things and given help. But guys like him limit the defense. I'm happy they figured we're strong enough with the new guys and regained health that he was expendable. Ideally he's just an emergency guy, and hopefully we have guys that are just emergency guys because they have better skill sets, but need more coaching and experience. Might as well get them coached up now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My comment was somewhat said tongue in cheek. Had they cut any of the CB's from last year, I would have said the same thing. But yes, shows you what dire straits our secondary was in last year, Gunther was our #1 or #2 CB for how many games and now he is unemployed. Hopefully the addition of House, eventually King and some good health will the Packers from having to scramble to sign a guy like Gunther later in the season. Sundays game will be a good test to see just how improved the secondary is, as well as the rest of the defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you get that tongue outta there! at least it put a nice blast from the past in my head this morning. Enjoy,

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can hear why Lee Majors never had a career in music! :coffee: Of course with that video and some of the "eye candy"......wait was someone singing?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I probably would have waited until after the Atlanta game to make this move, unless there's something else on the horizon I'm not aware of. The Seattle game was nice, but it sure would be a bummer if we get to Atlanta and they drop another 40+ on us.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I probably would have waited until after the Atlanta game to make this move, unless there's something else on the horizon I'm not aware of. The Seattle game was nice, but it sure would be a bummer if we get to Atlanta and they drop another 40+ on us.

Gunter would not be the linchpin that helps us shut Atlanta down. I'm just surprised they didn't cut him sooner.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

ATL may or may not crush our defense, but Gunter would not be the difference regardless.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Another surprising move by the Packers, especially as the team didn't need to release two players to make room for Allison.

I don't believe King will receive any additional snaps this week because of this move as Gunter only played two snaps vs. Seattle. There's no way the coaching staff should even think about the rookie covering Julio.

Gunter performed at a decent level in several games last year. He definitely doesn't possess the physical attributes to hold up as a #1 cornerback for an entire season though.

He did fine when he could get his hands on guys, but when he can't, it's over in a hurry. He was getting beaten like a drum in camp when they had him on the outside. And when you move him in the slot, he often has to deal with a Z that's lined up off the LOS and can more easily evade the jam.