LaDarius Gunter released

D

Deleted member 6794

Healthier, deeper. more talented, more experienced: significantly improved.

Good? Great? We'll just have to see. Better than bad, which was on the field last year? Surely.

I really don't understand the optimism about the Packers' secondary solely based on the game vs. the Seahawks as the unit performed at an elite level against Seattle last season as well intercepting Wilson five times. Tonight's game at Atlanta will be a way better measuring stick of the true potential of the 2017 pass defense.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Tonight's game at Atlanta will be a way better measuring stick of the true potential of the 2017 pass defense
What is your over/under for yards, TOs, TDs, QBR, sacks, 3rd & 4th down rates for these defensive levels. Really good, better than I expected, at least they don't suck, uh-oh, and WTF was that crap?

H

HardRightEdge

I really don't understand the optimism about the Packers' secondary solely based on the game vs. the Seahawks as the unit performed at an elite level against Seattle last season as well intercepting Wilson five times. Tonight's game at Atlanta will be a way better measuring stick of the true potential of the 2017 pass defense.
They just look better. Faster, more aggressive.

D

Deleted member 6794

They just look better. Faster, more aggressive.

There were plays vs. the Seahawks reminding me of last year's secondary though as well. Most notably House being bailed out by Daniels putting pressure on Wilson, forcing him into a deep incompletion after the team's #1 cornerback got beat badly.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There were plays vs. the Seahawks reminding me of last year's secondary though as well. Most notably House being bailed out by Daniels putting pressure on Wilson, forcing him into a deep incompletion after the team's #1 cornerback got beat badly.
Yeah. Should have been a touchdown.

However if our defensive front can get consistent pressure it will help the backend tremendously, just like on that play.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah. Should have been a touchdown.

However if our defensive front can get consistent pressure it will help the backend tremendously, just like on that play.

But our defensive front doesn't get to play that bunch of turnstiles every week.

H

HardRightEdge

Sure. And there was a sideline ball against Randall where he was a little late getting his head around, though on that one there was no separation and Wilson dropped it on a dime.

While I'n not crazy about House for precisely those kinds of plays in the first go-round, he's a heck of alot better than Gunter. Besides, before this season ends I expect King to take House's job if that kind of play is a weekly event.

I don't expect perfection. I don't expect shutouts. I don't expect Ryan to be held under 300 yards. I expect "better", which happens to be a low bar, and just might be good enough.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Healthier, deeper. more talented, more experienced: significantly improved.
healthier...yes (for now)
deeper...basically the same number of guys they had last year (11-12) with less experience
more talented...too soon to tell but it's encouraging
more experienced...nah. as a group i'd say it's a wash. shields for house, hyde for jones (r), pipkins (r), waters (r)

as a group they're faster, maybe a little nastier (which is good).

H

HardRightEdge

healthier...yes (for now)
deeper...basically the same number of guys they had last year (11-12) with less experience
more talented...too soon to tell but it's encouraging
more experienced...nah. as a group i'd say it's a wash. shields for house, hyde for jones (r), pipkins (r), waters (r)

as a group they're faster, maybe a little nastier (which is good).
More experienced: The incumbents have another year under their belts. Randall, Rollins, Brice. Pass defense does happen to include the backup safeties, and Brice is a "starter" in the Nitro package.
Deeper: Since when does the number of players matter? When your #3 perimeter corner is King and not Gunter, you're ahead of the game. Also see "experience" above.
More talented: See "deeper" and "more experienced" above.

I'm considering this backfield relative where we ended last season without Shields. House is not a wash with Shields. Shields was the clearly better player. I'm not a House fan, never was, but he's an upgrade over Gunter.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But our defensive front doesn't get to play that bunch of turnstiles every week.
They can't be that bad off week 1. They are an NFL team still. But I think as much as the oline sucking, I think Russell Wilson wasn't able to escape. We have seen him bust our backs many multiple times it seems, with those legs.

But now, he was neutralized...

Our two studs Daniels and Clark were WRECKING guys... the sea hawks couldn't stay on the field. And our top guys seemed to play fresh. I was disappointed that the rotation didn't get more reps... we can't run those big boys that hard. They take the biggest beating, and wear down the fastest. Still have 18 games to play!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They can't be that bad off week 1. They are an NFL team still. But I think as much as the oline sucking, I think Russell Wilson wasn't able to escape. We have seen him bust our backs many multiple times it seems, with those legs.

But now, he was neutralized...

Our two studs Daniels and Clark were WRECKING guys... the sea hawks couldn't stay on the field. And our top guys seemed to play fresh. I was disappointed that the rotation didn't get more reps... we can't run those big boys that hard. They take the biggest beating, and wear down the fastest. Still have 18 games to play!

I'm not saying our DL wasnt good. They were. And they shut down the run, which left the Hawks without answers. But Seattle's OL is maybe the worst in the league overall and definitely the worst, in my mind, in pass pro when there isn't any play action.

A team that could hold up a split second longer would have been able to exploit some breakdowns in the Packers' secondary. That's the point.

But the other side of that coin is that there probably isn't another defense in the NFC that's gonna hold Rodgers & Co to 17. We will see how things shake out against clubs that aren't that lopsided in terms of stellar defense and inept offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sure. And there was a sideline ball against Randall where he was a little late getting his head around, though on that one there was no separation and Wilson dropped it on a dime.

While I'n not crazy about House for precisely those kinds of plays in the first go-round, he's a heck of alot better than Gunter. Besides, before this season ends I expect King to take House's job if that kind of play is a weekly event.

I don't expect perfection. I don't expect shutouts. I don't expect Ryan to be held under 300 yards. I expect "better", which happens to be a low bar, and just might be good enough.

I agree there's reason for optimism about the secondary being improved this season but it's definitely premature to evaluate if the unit will turn out to be good enough for the team to have a chance at winning another Super Bowl.

FWIW Waters isn't on the Packers roster anymore.

I was disappointed that the rotation didn't get more reps... we can't run those big boys that hard. They take the biggest beating, and wear down the fastest. Still have 18 games to play!

You have to realize that while Daniels and Clark were on the field for a large percentage of the plays their total snap count wasn't extremely high as the Seahawks only managed to run 49 offensive plays.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More experienced: The incumbents have another year under their belts. Randall, Rollins, Brice. Pass defense does happen to include the backup safeties, and Brice is a "starter" in the Nitro package.
Deeper: Since when does the number of players matter? When your #3 perimeter corner is King and not Gunter, you're ahead of the game. Also see "experience" above.
More talented: See "deeper" and "more experienced" above.

I'm considering this backfield relative where we ended last season without Shields. House is not a wash with Shields. Shields was the clearly better player. I'm not a House fan, never was, but he's an upgrade over Gunter.
we were speaking as a group so that's i kept my opinion centered.
numbers do matter. see last year's rb position.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

we were speaking about the backfield as a whole. DB's

It's the cornerback position Packers' fans should be worried about though as the safeties already performed at a decent level last season.

Latest posts