LaDarius Gunter released

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Gunter would not be the linchpin that helps us shut Atlanta down. I'm just surprised they didn't cut him sooner.
ATL may or may not crush our defense, but Gunter would not be the difference regardless.
Right, but what I'm saying is maybe we're not as set at cornerback as we all seem to believe.

I'd rather see with my own eyes against an elite offense before releasing a corner that is at least familiar with Capers' system. But it's certainly nothing that I will lose any sleep over.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but what I'm saying is maybe we're not as set at cornerback as we all seem to believe.

I'd rather see with my own eyes against an elite offense before releasing a corner that is at least familiar with Capers' system. But it's certainly nothing that I will lose any sleep over.

I understand that, but Gunter isn't a guy that's going to make a positive difference for us. It's very possible we're still not good at CB, and at the same time very possible that cutting Gunter is a good move. He's not good, so you might as well try some different guys who could be good.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you're a young DB, and the most positive thing people can say is that "well he knows the system", then you know he's not good. It would be one thing if he had the athletic attributes that indicate he could grow as a player, but he doesn't. His problems didn't result from lack of knowledge, they came from lack of physical attributes. Those won't be improving as he gets older.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I don't think anyone is saying that the Packers are set at cornerback-- just that Gunter wouldn't make a difference.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like this guy is still getting beat by WRs haha. Told you guys all year he was toast once they found better options. He's terrible

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did well for any undrafted CB to be facing off against Top of the line WRs. Infact as a CB last season, I rate him at the top of the pile.

I doubt Pipkins has any upside. he'll be gone in a year or two.

H

HardRightEdge

Gunter should never have been playing perimeter corner. SS would have been his best position or in the slot against certain match ups. He's good in short route coverage; he's a grinder; he can tackle.

You just can't have a guy with that kind of speed limitation lining up against wide outs. Consider last year's regular season game against the Falcons when the Packers doubled Jones low/high all day with Gunter / Dix. With Dix out of the middle of the field Sanu caught 9 on 10 targets moving the chains and pulling in a TD with nobody behind him in the end zone. Then when they didn't double in the playoffs, Jones went off.

You just can't play that way, with what amounts to 10 1/2 defenders.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I don't think anyone is saying that the Packers are set at cornerback-- just that Gunter wouldn't make a difference.
I think the Packers are set at cornerback, at least in the sense that there are at least 3 guys, maybe 5, who are better on the perimeter. So there. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

He did fine when he could get his hands on guys, but when he can't, it's over in a hurry. He was getting beaten like a drum in camp when they had him on the outside. And when you move him in the slot, he often has to deal with a Z that's lined up off the LOS and can more easily evade the jam.

There's no reason to get upset about the Packers releasing Gunter as he was most likely only the sixth best cornerback on the roster. It's still surprising that the team decided to hold on to Pipkins instead as Ladarius at least proved to be capable of filling a specific role.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's no reason to get upset about the Packers releasing Gunter as he was most likely only the sixth best cornerback on the roster. It's still surprising that the team decided to hold on to Pipkins instead as Ladarius at least proved to be capable of filling a specific role.

It makes sense to me to keep a guy with more perceived upside in that 6th spot over a guy with a really limited skill set. I wasn't expecting it to happen, but I prefer it this way. Pipkins was coming out later in preseason games against lesser competition, but with that considered I still thought he did some pretty impressive things.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes, they play about as much zone as anyone.
FYI the Panthers used zone coverage on 79.9% on the snaps last season, the highest number in the entire league.
So, there you have it.

Gunter was a misfit toy on the "island". Decent ballplayer in the right role and scheme. A quick-off-the-break guy who's physical; too slow to be playing man D on the perimeter or against speedy slots.

Hyde was something of a misfit toy as well, though not as glaring. He lacked short distance quickness to limit separation off the break against quick slots. Playing safety is a better fit for him in Buffalo just as he looked better in his brief stints playing safety with the Packers.

The D backfield looks to be significantly improved. Atlanta will be a meaningful test.

D

Deleted member 6794

The D backfield looks to be significantly improved. Atlanta will be a meaningful test.

In my opinion it's premature to consider the defensive backfield to be significantly improved after only one game against an offense that couldn't pass protect to save their lives.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion it's premature to consider the defensive backfield to be significantly improved after only one game against an offense that couldn't pass protect to save their lives.
true...but at least they're all healthy which in itself makes them better than last year. oops...did i say that out loud?

H

HardRightEdge

true...but at least they're all healthy which in itself makes them better than last year. oops...did i say that out loud?
Healthier, deeper. more talented, more experienced: significantly improved.

Good? Great? We'll just have to see. Better than bad, which was on the field last year? Surely.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts