LaDainian Tomlinson

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Taylor knows he is more then likely not going to be a starter. He was making close to starter money in MN. ($14.1 million over 4 years) He will be 31 this fall, and though he can start with many teams I think he knows it won't be for very long. The question is, does he feel they Vikings can pay him enough, and does he have chance at a ring in MN as opposed to being a starter in say Detroit? What would you do?
Teams will get their starters in the draft, from round 1-3. Just look at how many teams got starters with that method, as opposed to FA.

Taylor won't be a started.

LT may be, if some franchise is dumb enough to bet on his name.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Just heard Westbrook got released today as well. He might as well retire.....I've had this guy on fantasy team only to have to cut him due to injury every year.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
What the hell would the Vikings want with LT? Chester Taylor is a much better option and is due to be re-signed.
I keep hearing they aren't going to bring him back. Of course, there could be conflicting reports because nobody really knows at this point.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LTs numbers prove he would be about as smart of a signing as the bears signing Orlando Pace. I dont understand how anyone in their right mind could think that signing LT would help us.

2006 - 5.2 yrds per carry and 1815 rushing yrds
2007 - 4.7 yrds per carry and 1474 rushing yrds
2008 - 3.8 yrds per carry and 1110 rushing yrds
2009 - 3.3 yrds per carry and 730 rushing yrds.

If these trends continue his numbers would look something like this
2010 - 2.8 yrds per carry and 455 rushing yards.

He is broken down. He will not get better. Lets not forget he cant make it to the playoffs anymore so no point in having someone who wont be able to play when it counts. He was a work horse in his prime but is a shell of his former self. Watch AP do the same thing in the next 3 years. I doubt he ever gets over that game against the saints.

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep hearing they aren't going to bring him back. Of course, there could be conflicting reports because nobody really knows at this point.

agree no one knows anything as of now but it does give you something to talk and think about. and maybe do a little wishful thinking :hmm:

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't wanna deal with LT, unless if he's okay with accepting less money since we are a contending team at least.

don_frosto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So uhhh...LaDanian Tomlinson.

My was he amazing several years ago or what!! :D It sucks to see someone with that kind of talent slowly fade away....

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
So uhhh...LaDanian Tomlinson.

My was he amazing several years ago or what!! :D It sucks to see someone with that kind of talent slowly fade away....

That's what happens when you are an NFL running back. Look at Shaun Alexander and Emmitt Smith. They go downhill real quick. Barry Sanders retired before he had a chance to get to that point.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be shocked if you see the Saints sign LT. Brees has, at least publicly, said he would love to see LT on the team.

The Saints announced a ton of tender offers for RFA's and Bell was not on the list. Bell played well at the first of the season but faded down the stretch. There is no doubt Payton was pissed when Bell slipped in the SB. Payton cussed him for not having the right cleats.

I don't know, but if the FO pulls the trigger for a year I would not question the move. It would have to be for the right price and he would be a role player.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Don't be shocked if you see the Saints sign LT. Brees has, at least publicly, said he would love to see LT on the team.

The Saints announced a ton of tender offers for RFA's and Bell was not on the list. Bell played well at the first of the season but faded down the stretch. There is no doubt Payton was pissed when Bell slipped in the SB. Payton cussed him for not having the right cleats.

I don't know, but if the FO pulls the trigger for a year I would not question the move. It would have to be for the right price and he would be a role player.

The Saints would go after LT even with Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush? I guess Bush is mostly worthless.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints would go after LT even with Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush? I guess Bush is mostly worthless.

I think they might -- BTW, they will probably have Hamilton as well.

Reggie is a role player, I would not be pleased to see him get 20 carries in a game. Although I am not a huge Reggie fan, it's hard to argue that he is worthless. Believe it or not the guy ended up the season with 5.6 average per carry and had 6.9 in the post season -- and that's rushes not receptions. Even more surprising is that he does a good job in pass protection.

I have grown to appreciate that he brings more to the offense than it appears at times. Has he live up to expectation? No, but the expectations were just not realistic.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think they might -- BTW, they will probably have Hamilton as well.

Reggie is a role player, I would not be pleased to see him get 20 carries in a game. Although I am not a huge Reggie fan, it's hard to argue that he is worthless. Believe it or not the guy ended up the season with 5.6 average per carry and had 6.9 in the post season -- and that's rushes not receptions. Even more surprising is that he does a good job in pass protection.

I have grown to appreciate that he brings more to the offense than it appears at times. Has he live up to expectation? No, but the expectations were just not realistic.
Yup, he did great in two of the three Saints post season games. MN held him it 8 yards on 7 carries for a 1.1 average. That 46 yard TD run really helped out his average. So those stats may be a bit misleading. But he did do 5.0 in the Super Bowl on 5 carries.

I think the Saints as well as some other teams will be doing the "Running back my committee" thing more in the future. It tends not to wear out your backs during the year and extends careers. Having a few good backs may end up more important then having one superstar back. If you think about it, do you really want to see Tomlinson and Bush in the same backfield? I wouldn't.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's risky signing RB'over the age of 27. It's been proven that after age 27, numbers begin to decline.

The question I have is which is riskier - Westbrook's concussions or LT's lack of motivation???

I wouldn't touch either of these two for those reasons.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Saints as well as some other teams will be doing the "Running back my committee" thing more in the future. It tends not to wear out your backs during the year and extends careers. Having a few good backs may end up more important then having one superstar back. If you think about it, do you really want to see Tomlinson and Bush in the same backfield? I wouldn't.

Yeah, I have no doubt that the platoon approach to running the ball will continue in New Orleans. And I agree that other teams will take this approach as well. I like it for several reasons, which are probably so obvious to someone who posts on a football froum that I won't even go into them.

I am not sure from which perspective you are asking your question (that of the team with both running backs or their opponents).

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's risky signing RB'over the age of 27. It's been proven that after age 27, numbers begin to decline.

The question I have is which is riskier - Westbrook's concussions or LT's lack of motivation???

I wouldn't touch either of these two for those reasons.

Yeah, there is no question the shelf life on a running back is relatively short.

I would not look at Westbrook and I hope for his sake he retires.

I am not worried about LT's motivation, just the amount of gas remaining in the tank.

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peirre Thomas isn't exactly wasting a roster spot either and he was undrafted out of Illinois. If the Saints take a chance on him whose carries does he take?

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peirre Thomas isn't exactly wasting a roster spot either and he was undrafted out of Illinois. If the Saints take a chance on him whose carries does he take?

The speculation was that Mike Bell would be released. He actually had more carries than PT last year. He played very well in the first part of the season, but his production declined sharply in the second part of the season. We as fans don't really no why. The decrease did correspond with the loss of our starting fullback. Or, he may not have fully recovered from an injury.

In any case, a recent statement by Payton seems to have all but extinguished the talk of LT to New Orleans.

Members online

Latest posts