KGB

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Link

In that link it has a list of Green Bay's free agents in 2007. KGB is on that list.

However, on the salary cap page it states his contract expires in 2009.

Does anyone know if his contract is up following this season, or if it expires in 2009?

Thanks...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember researching and learning that it wouldnt hurt Gb TOO MUCH if we release him next year, but id rather trade him, but his contract is...amazingly high.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would there be any financial gains for the Packers next season if they did release him ? If not they should just let him play out his contract.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember researching and learning that it wouldnt hurt Gb TOO MUCH if we release him next year, but id rather trade him, but his contract is...amazingly high.

They talk just the opposite on the radio. This is the year we'll have the room to cut him and if he keeps playing like this it likely is the year it will happen.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

They talk just the opposite on the radio. This is the year we'll have the room to cut him and if he keeps playing like this it likely is the year it will happen.

I think we're saying the same thing. the offseason following this season is the year it wont hurt too bad.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
KGB defends himself with some help from the coaching staff

Notes: KGB getting blocked out
He has three of Packers' 31 sacks

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=532130

There is some truth to this article, although this season Kampman has clearly passed up KGB in the pass rushing department. I still admire KGB for his effort.

This seems to be a familiar story with many DE's that usually get a high number of sacks. Freeney was in a slump but had a big day last week. Others have been down as well.

As long as he is giving the effort and creating a decent number of pressures I'm alright with KGB. He does get the best blocker the opposing team has being on the backside.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This seems to be a familiar story with many DE's that usually get a high number of sacks. Freeney was in a slump but had a big day last week. Others have been down as well.

As long as he is giving the effort and creating a decent number of pressures I'm alright with KGB. He does get the best blocker the opposing team has being on the backside.

Agreed. I am not eager to get rid of KGB, as he will be badly needed unless or until Thompson acquires a big-time DE in the draft or free agency.

By the way, am I the only one who's noticed that KGB's run defense has been good this year? Defense is very much a team effort, and I think KGB can be part of a very good defense. The problems this year have been more with the secondary and the lack of pass rush in the middle for long stretches.

An upgrade over KGB would be nice, but he's not the kind of player you want to just toss away, like Ahmad Carroll, without at least having a solid replacement to take over. Is Mike Montgomery that guy? Maybe, but I haven't seen enough of him to be sure yet.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Agreed. I am not eager to get rid of KGB, as he will be badly needed unless or until Thompson acquires a big-time DE in the draft or free agency.

Why does it have to be a "big-time" replacement? How about an "effective" replacement. Aaron Kampman was\is hardly 'big-time' but he gets the job done with hard work, film, and hustle. He isnt the biggest or the best, and....ok im rambling, Kampman rules. But you get the point. Get someone who can DO the job. Kampman(kampman types) isnt a one trick pony. He does an above average job on pass AND rush. He isnt a 'pass rusher' and he isnt a 'run stopper' and...ok im rambling again, Kampman rules.

YOU GET THE POINT! LOL!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does it have to be a "big-time" replacement? How about an "effective" replacement. Aaron Kampman was\is hardly 'big-time' but he gets the job done with hard work, film, and hustle. He isnt the biggest or the best, and....ok im rambling, Kampman rules. But you get the point. Get someone who can DO the job. Kampman(kampman types) isnt a one trick pony. He does an above average job on pass AND rush. He isnt a 'pass rusher' and he isnt a 'run stopper' and...ok im rambling again, Kampman rules.

YOU GET THE POINT! LOL!

In my opinion, KGB is effective. So a replacement who is merely "effective" would not be an upgrade. If Thompson could replace KGB with an equivalent player for cheap without taking a cap hit, that would be fine. I just don't think it would be as easy to find an upgrade, or even a cheap replacement, as many others here seem to think.

As for Kampman, he has always been effective, but this year he has really become something special. There are not a lot of players like Kampman floating around the league waiting to be signed to cheap contracts. That's why Thompson paid so much money to hang onto him.

And make no mistake: KGB works VERY hard out there.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

YOU GET THE POINT! LOL!

In my opinion, KGB is effective. So a replacement who is merely "effective" would not be an upgrade. If Thompson could replace KGB with an equivalent player for cheap without taking a cap hit, that would be fine. I just don't think it would be as easy to find an upgrade, or even a cheap replacement, as many others here seem to think.

As for Kampman, he has always been effective, but this year he has really become something special. There are not a lot of players like Kampman floating around the league waiting to be signed to cheap contracts. That's why Thompson paid so much money to hang onto him.

And make no mistake: KGB works VERY hard out there.

But thats the point. KGB is effective, and others are equally effective. The thing is a lot of those 'others' wont be top 5 in salary on the team, like KGB is (thanks previous GM). TT SHOULD cut him, and if he does, he WILL look bad because of the contract, which...TT didnt make, the previous guy did, but its one of those unfortunate things that needs to be done while we build a winner, baby!

KGB will continue to eat up salary unless hes cut, which WILL make GB take a hit, but the time for that hit is after this season(financially).

Also im not saying KGB does try hard, hes just not effective anymore. I like the guy, he entertains me by chewing on his mouthpiece, but its time for him to go.

Reaction score
^ Nice sig.

Anyways, I'm curious if anyone remembers a game where the QB took off running, and KGB showed GREAT speed and started chasing him from behind and forced the QB out? I believe it was the Bills game, and that burst of speed totally blew me away (announcers also made comments on how impressive that was). I knew KGB was fast, but on that play it seemed like he may have more "explosiveness" in his step this year than ever before.

Reaction score
yeah hes fast, no doubt.

but hes a DE, not an LB or DB.

Which actually works great for something I have been wondering:

If the Packers were to use a 3-4 scheme every once in a while (Williams as RE, Pickett as DT, Kamp as LE) than would it make sense to try KGB as a LB.

I knew he was fast, but wow, I never realised he was THAT fast. Perhaps pull a "Jason Taylor"? (Although I'm not comparing the 2 players because that is like comparing apples to oranges, I mean doing with KGB what the Fins did with Taylor).

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's important the topic of replacing him be thought through because your big time pass rushers that generate the high sack totals usually line up on the other side.

Any DE getting big numbers from the right side is a stud. Kampy is on the "numbers" side of the ball. I don't see a lot of guys that would produce a big sack total over on KGB's side.

Look at the number of sacks given up over a year by any left tackle. It's not many. That's the teams best blocker and money guy. They get paid a BUNCH to keep the QB's blind side covered. They will get help if need be. Anything to prevent the blind side from caving in. That's a potentially career ending scenario for a QB.

Our guy gives up what? Two a year maybe? That's 14 DE's that get nadda from that side. See what I mean?

If KGB is getting some pressure consistantly, which he has done a pretty decent job, and isn't the liability he once was against the run I doubt we see him moved out. At this point the move would cost more than what we could expect in return with having to pay him AND the player we replace him with.

Watch next week. That guy is not only the best tackle but one of the very best players in the NFL. I doubt KGB get's close next week, but then again, very seldom does anybody else either.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's important the topic of replacing him be thought through because your big time pass rushers that generate the high sack totals usually line up on the other side.

Any DE getting big numbers from the right side is a stud. Kampy is on the "numbers" side of the ball. I don't see a lot of guys that would produce a big sack total over on KGB's side.

Yeah, it does seem like the balance of power has switched. It used to be the opposite. The guys with the big sack totals were on the right side, so they could rush without being seen. Then teams took notice and started drafting left tackles very high and paying them boatloads of money. The strategy has worked well for offenses.

Still, I would like to see a statistical breakdown of how many sacks come from the right side and how many come from the left. Michael Strahan plays on the left side. Jason Taylor usually plays on the right, but they switch him around. I'm not sure about Julius Peppers. A lot of the best pass rushers line up in different places to try exploiting various matchups.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he seems to be having a bad year, I wouldn't want to see him go though. He seems valuable to me and I think plugging in somebody else would be worse than having him there.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've always liked KGB but to day is proving again he just can't learn to be a run tackler. He's basically good for 3rd downs

Wasnt that how Tim Harris was?

Members online

Latest posts