Kevin Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Following is an excerpt from an article in Packer Plus which deals in part with the re-signing of Barry. It is an example of why I am reasonably optimistic that things will be better this year:

The re-signings of Kampman, Green, Davenport and Henderson have gotten most of the attention. The re-signing of Barry slipped under the radar a bit and didn't get as much attention.

But if the Packers' plans pan out, it could turn out to be as important as the others.

A backup tackle who was used as an extra tight end in the Packers' "heavy" package the past three seasons, Barry is being moved to guard with the hope that he can become a long-term answer there.

To do that, he'll have to keep his weight under control, something he didn't always do the past two seasons.

"He's one of those guys that's got step up," Jagodzinski said. "It's his turn. All we can do is give him an opportunity. What he does with that opportunity is up to him, but we're going to push him as hard as we can to get him to be a guy.

"He's got to understand that that U-71 package, that is done. He's a better player than four plays a game. But he's got to step up. He's got to produce."

At some points in the previous off-season there were some thoughts that the Packers would look at moving right tackle Mark Tauscher to guard and starting Barry at right tackle. Now such thoughts are gone, as Tauscher remains entrenched at tackle.

The fact that the Packers committed significant money ($600,000 signing bonus and $600,000 roster bonus) to Barry in a two-year deal indicates they're serious about him as a starting guard prospect.

Jagodzinski is confident Barry can do what it takes, including keeping his weight down.

"I've talked to him and Coach (McCarthy) has talked to him and the strength coaches have talked to him, but there's a direct correlation between what you put in mouth and how much you weigh," Jagodzinski said. "That's not rocket science there.

"I like Kevin, but what it comes down to is I want to love the guy on Sunday. He's got to produce. He doesn't have a choice because he's going to get thrown in there. So we'll see what he can do, but he's a powerful man."

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just glad the U-71 has been **********..it worked for like 4 games..but Sherman insisted on using it for 3 years when the opposing team had long figured it out..

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevin Barry really is one of the worst off season signings. He only plays RT, can't handle speed rushers and is too fat and slow for the zone blocking scheme. His Wonderlic of 8 makes me question his ability to learn a new playbook and blocking scheme. There were a number of reasons he was never drafted.

AN OT should be drafted to replace him and become the primary back up when Klemm departs next year. I look forward to the day the Packers obtain a better player and bump Barry off the roster.

The O-line quotes clearly indicate Barry has not produced and he had better begin to produce or he is gone. Even before an OT is drafted I think Barry's chances of being with the Packers opening day is one in three.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Barry's signing is an insurance policy. If the Packers can't shore up the RG position, they will move Tauscher inside and let Barry play right tackle. Personally, I do not like this move because Tauscher is a very good RT, and I think moving him in because there is no one else reflects poorly on TT. Hopefully we draft Mankins, Joseph or Setterstrom to take over the RG postition. I agree that Barry is a poor choice for RG in a zone blocking system. I think Wells and Coston are our starters at center and LG respectively.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did yall even read the article.... they arent moving tauscher anywhere..... seriously quit bringing up that they are gonna move him to guard....HE IS ENTRENCHED AT RIGHT TACKLE. and anyone we draft isnt gonna be as good as Barry due to NFL Experience. So get used to what you got.
Looks like its Clifton/Coston/Wells/Barry/Tauscher. If the interior line pans out, im ok with that line. Whether or not Brett is ok with that line is another story.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed...Tauscher is locked in at tackle. Why would anyone even want to mess with our tackles. We will find our interior, and if Barry can slim down and handle the job, he could be devestating. Otherwise, nice depth at tackle.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
right... i dont know if you guys saw but when we ran the u-71 that kid wanted to kill people and he looked like a very mobile MONSTER. granted he only had to play like 5 plays a game MAYBE and was fresh the entire game... but a slimmed down version could be hard to handle.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How much did Sherman pay him for 4-5 plays a game..?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey pack66,

im not real sure your aware of this, but the green bay packers canned coach sherman a while back. Yeah apparently they hired a new guy named mike mccarthy. hes now the coach of the pack... might be time to let go.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with only playing in games for the u-71 what he did give was alot i think he will be good for us given the chance,he will lose the weight :)

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much is TT and or MM paying this guy to maybe play maybe not then??

I like him but he wont be the answer at guard, anyway if he is TT will be rewarded as a genius again one more diamond in the rough, ohh but the team is in the very bottom of the NFL, yes but I found another hidden gem!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
I like him but he wont be the answer at guard

are you coach mccarthy? I didnt think so.

lets let the coaches do THEIR jobs, and if you're gonna say such a statement, which is your opinion, maybe throw an "I dont think he will be the answer."

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think TT should be the GM either.... but it is my opinion ,and I believe I am entitled to, so far I havent seen US Congress ruling against freedom of speech or thought !!!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
I dont think TT should be the GM either.... but it is my opinion ,and I believe I am entitled to, so far I havent seen US Congress ruling against freedom of speech or thought !!!!

In a new thread of course.

Could you state your reasoning for why you don't think Ted Thompson should be the Packers GM? (I'm on the fence. I'm giving the guy a chance for a couple more years to see how his moves / lack of moves pan out for the 'team' first. Basically I support him because he's a Packer and right now hasn't proven to me he doesn't deserve GM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts