1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

KAMPY defends a pass!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by tjb_orlando, Jun 3, 2009.

1. tjb_orlando

tjb_orlando Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
  2. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    The reason he's working almost solely on coverage is that he doensn't need to learn how to pass rush. He's doing Ok, not good, not bad from what I've heard. That's part of the process. He's gonna be a beast, just remember Jason Taylor his first year playing OLB with Dom. I'm not saying Kampman will be Defensive Player of the Year, but he'll be great.

3. wizard 87

wizard 87 Old Enough To Know Better

Ratings:
    +11
    I am the devils advocate in this instance and will do it by asking you all one question..... Do you really think Kamp on someone's # 1 WR or Slot receiver is a great idea :ranting: Think about Kamp on Percy H Vikings late 4th game on the line :sinking:

4. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Well, that's Dom's and Barnett's responsability. Do you think James Harrison lined up with JJ or Jordy is a good matchup for the Steelers?

5. wizard 87

Ratings:
    +11
    Well ... :wacko: Harrison has not been playing Wide DE in a 4-3 under scheme his whole career has he???? Sometimes you can WANT a player to fit your scheme and OR the SCHEME to fit a specfic player and it does not work out.
    I should also point out that I played in both a 4-3 and 3-4 defense and it's not as easy as just "learning" the new scheme.

6. Aa-rodg_is_cool

Aa-rodg_is_cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well its not like he'll be man to man w/ harvin or whatever.. he'll have a small zone that I'm sure he'll be able to hold down most of the time:star-wars:

7. wizard 87

Ratings:
    +11
    See the post above.

8. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    It's good to see him get more comfortable with the situation.

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Kampman played OLB in college. Jason Taylor had never played OLB until asigned to that, and we all know how it went. I understand what you're saying man, but Kampman isn't just a great DE. He's a great player. He isn't just athletic (which he IS). He's one of the smartest ou there. I think we'll be fine. And like you said about scheme fitting a player do you really think Dom Capers is that stupid to just put Kampman at OLB from the get go? Why do you think he's training coverage? Capers will fit the scheme to the players, that's what have been said all along by TT, MM and Capers...

10. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I seriously doubt Kampy will be asked to cover a WR. He'll probably be asked to cover TEs or RBs most of the time. Were any of you there to witness this play? What was AK's reaction to his teammates' cheers? :icon_question:

11. tjb_orlando

tjb_orlando Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Affirmative.

Only Big Gilbert Brown has the cat-like quickness and all out speed to cover the WRs. So only if Gilbert gets reactivated in a DB emergency. :victory:

[​IMG]
    :Bananas2:

12. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    People think that AK is going to be asked to drop back every time he is in?

sometimes people forget what this defense is going to be like

Packers.com » News » Stories » May 26, 2009: OTA Preview: Defense Has 'A Lot To Get Done'

NFL: Count on Dom Capers to boost Packers' defense | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

Kampman staying quiet; uneasy with OLB switch? - Aaron Kampman - Zimbio

13. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Gilbert was compared to Deion Sanders in his ability to return interceptions, and to Nadia Comaneci in his all around agility :jester:

14. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    True I also seem to often forget that he isn't going to always be coverage, this will help his pass rushing ability and hopefully bring the sacks.

15. danielchile

danielchile Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    The sacks were always there...it's not like he's 09 Big Pappi. With that horrendous DL last year he still managed to get 10 sacks.

16. doughsellz

doughsellz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2

Nope. I wasn't there. I have an idea how teams gameplan though. They try to exploit weakness. Whether they ask our new OLB to cover a WR or not, the opposing offense will undoubtedly try to create opportunity for their best receivers to work the area(s) of our D that appear(s), well, weak.

Not saying definitively that Kampman's responsibilities won't be handled properly, just that I don't expect this D's transition to be without its oversights. Fingers crossed!

17. mossdog427

mossdog427 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    people exaggerate the importance of kampman's opinion of this scheme. he is athletic he's athletic and intelligent enough to where he will function in it. that's all that matters.

also... I guarantee he gets to the QB MUCH more than he did last year.

18. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Yeah its practice but its showing he can do it

Wrapping up Packers minicamp - NFC North - ESPN

19. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Good, very good to see that Kampman will be fine this year.