KAMPY defends a pass!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason he's working almost solely on coverage is that he doensn't need to learn how to pass rush. He's doing Ok, not good, not bad from what I've heard. That's part of the process. He's gonna be a beast, just remember Jason Taylor his first year playing OLB with Dom. I'm not saying Kampman will be Defensive Player of the Year, but he'll be great.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
I am the devils advocate in this instance and will do it by asking you all one question..... Do you really think Kamp on someone's # 1 WR or Slot receiver is a great idea :ranting: Think about Kamp on Percy H Vikings late 4th game on the line :sinking:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that's Dom's and Barnett's responsability. Do you think James Harrison lined up with JJ or Jordy is a good matchup for the Steelers?

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Well, that's Dom's and Barnett's responsability. Do you think James Harrison lined up with JJ or Jordy is a good matchup for the Steelers?

Well ... :wacko: Harrison has not been playing Wide DE in a 4-3 under scheme his whole career has he???? Sometimes you can WANT a player to fit your scheme and OR the SCHEME to fit a specfic player and it does not work out.
I should also point out that I played in both a 4-3 and 3-4 defense and it's not as easy as just "learning" the new scheme.

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am the devils advocate in this instance and will do it by asking you all one question..... Do you really think Kamp on someone's # 1 WR or Slot receiver is a great idea :ranting: Think about Kamp on Percy H Vikings late 4th game on the line :sinking:

Well its not like he'll be man to man w/ harvin or whatever.. he'll have a small zone that I'm sure he'll be able to hold down most of the time:star-wars:

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's good to see him get more comfortable with the situation.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman played OLB in college. Jason Taylor had never played OLB until asigned to that, and we all know how it went. I understand what you're saying man, but Kampman isn't just a great DE. He's a great player. He isn't just athletic (which he IS). He's one of the smartest ou there. I think we'll be fine. And like you said about scheme fitting a player do you really think Dom Capers is that stupid to just put Kampman at OLB from the get go? Why do you think he's training coverage? Capers will fit the scheme to the players, that's what have been said all along by TT, MM and Capers...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously doubt Kampy will be asked to cover a WR. He'll probably be asked to cover TEs or RBs most of the time. Were any of you there to witness this play? What was AK's reaction to his teammates' cheers? :icon_question:

OP
OP
tjb_orlando

tjb_orlando

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously doubt Kampy will be asked to cover a WR.

Affirmative.

Only Big Gilbert Brown has the cat-like quickness and all out speed to cover the WRs. So only if Gilbert gets reactivated in a DB emergency. :victory:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

:Bananas2:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
People think that AK is going to be asked to drop back every time he is in?

sometimes people forget what this defense is going to be like

Packers.com » News » Stories » May 26, 2009: OTA Preview: Defense Has 'A Lot To Get Done'

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/mccarthy_mike/
Mike McCarthy has said he feels the 3-4 will help Kampman because the defense can disguise better when he's rushing the passer, and where he's coming from.

NFL: Count on Dom Capers to boost Packers' defense | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

Aaron Kampman moving from left defensive end to left outside linebacker. Capers probably won't be asking Kampman to drop into coverage much at about 265 pounds. Capers compares him to Lamar Lathon and Tony Brackens, bigger men who played outside linebacker for him in Carolina and Jacksonville, respectively.
Kampman staying quiet; uneasy with OLB switch? - Aaron Kampman - Zimbio

And Rodgers reiterated a point brought up repeatedly by McCarthy and new defensive coordinator Dom Capers: Kampman's position switch might not be as drastic as it seems, given the fact he generally will go back to being a traditional defensive end when the Packers deviate from their base defense with a "sub" package with extra defensive backs.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Affirmative.

Only Big Gilbert Brown has the cat-like quickness and all out speed to cover the WRs. So only if Gilbert gets reactivated in a DB emergency. :victory:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

:Bananas2:
Gilbert was compared to Deion Sanders in his ability to return interceptions, and to Nadia Comaneci in his all around agility :jester:

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True I also seem to often forget that he isn't going to always be coverage, this will help his pass rushing ability and hopefully bring the sacks.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously doubt Kampy will be asked to cover a WR. He'll probably be asked to cover TEs or RBs most of the time. Were any of you there to witness this play? What was AK's reaction to his teammates' cheers? :icon_question:

Nope. I wasn't there. I have an idea how teams gameplan though. They try to exploit weakness. Whether they ask our new OLB to cover a WR or not, the opposing offense will undoubtedly try to create opportunity for their best receivers to work the area(s) of our D that appear(s), well, weak.

Not saying definitively that Kampman's responsibilities won't be handled properly, just that I don't expect this D's transition to be without its oversights. Fingers crossed!

mossdog427

Cheesehead
Reaction score
people exaggerate the importance of kampman's opinion of this scheme. he is athletic he's athletic and intelligent enough to where he will function in it. that's all that matters.

also... I guarantee he gets to the QB MUCH more than he did last year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah its practice but its showing he can do it

Wrapping up Packers minicamp - NFC North - ESPN

Who says Aaron Kampman is having a hard time adjusting to linebacker? I watched him run stride-for-stride with receiver Greg Jennings on a crossing pattern. Kampman was close enough to Jennings that quarterback Aaron Rodgers had to adjust his throw and safety Jarrett Bush broke up the play. (I particularly liked the way Kampman subtly grabbed Jennings' jersey as the ball arrived.)

"It was perfect coverage," outside linebacker coach Kevin Greene said. "I couldn't have done it better myself.

He was right where he needed to be. ... That's the best you can hype for from the most talented outside linebacker playing the position."

Members online

Latest posts