Justin Harrell ... Not Again?

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone must have had their eyes closed during this draft. Between our first 2 picks (Harrell and Brandon Jackson) the following key players on other teams were drafted:

Leon Hall (CB Bengals)
Brandon Meriweather (Pro Bowl SS Patriots)
Jon Beason (Pro Bowl MLB Panthers)
Sidney Rice (Pro Bowl WR Queens)
Lamarr Woodley (Pro Bowl OLB Steelers)
David Harris (OLB Jets)
Steve Smith (Pro Bowl WR Giants)

Did I mention the Jets got David Harris with a pick we traded to them? We could have used that pick to trade up 2 spots....2 spots in the first round for Darelle Revis. I know that's all in the past but it hurts to think about.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Harrell really that farking fragile?
Or does he have a little kid's tolerance of pain/discomfort?
This guy ****** me off so much, even moreso than Jarrett Bush who at least actually plays and tries, despite being schitty. At least he tries earning his paychecks. Harrell is a thief.

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im starting to think he just might be an even bigger flop than Jamarcus Russell.. At least Russell got out there and played a few games. Harrell seems like he just flat out doesnt even want to play.

Just fire him already!!!!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relax folks- Harrell is back at practice this morning. Looks like it was more heat related than anything.

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will probably get hurt again during practice or some damn excuse to get out of playing this season. I have no faith in him at all. If he wants to prove that he can make it in the NFL and for The Packers, he's got one hell of an up-hill battle.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will probably get hurt again during practice or some damn excuse to get out of playing this season. I have no faith in him at all. If he wants to prove that he can make it in the NFL and for The Packers, he's got one hell of an up-hill battle.

I agree with this. It's not enough that he should get some playing time, but also fight for a starting job. Since he was drafted in the first round, that's what his goal should be.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone must have had their eyes closed during this draft. Between our first 2 picks (Harrell and Brandon Jackson) the following key players on other teams were drafted:

Leon Hall (CB Bengals)
David Harris (OLB Jets)

Did I mention the Jets got David Harris with a pick we traded to them? We could have used that pick to trade up 2 spots....2 spots in the first round for Darelle Revis. I know that's all in the past but it hurts to think about.

Hindsight is 20/20 my friend.

vegasdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief people. Your animosity towards Harrell is just wrong. He got seriously hurt while lifting weights. You act like he got hurt while laying on the sofa watching sponge bob, reached for the doritos and bumped his elbow.

Here is Harrell:

Ripped his bicep muscle at Tennessee. He refused to end his season, but played the next week because it was a big game against a rival.

He is the only player to wear #92 at Tennessee since Reggie White. He was given that honor because of his leadership, tenacity, toughness, and respect he had from his teammates.

He is not a wimp. He is not lazy. He just unfortunately hurt his back while doing some squats in the offseason. The surgery to fix it was botched and he needed work on it again.

In college, Harrell was impressive. He would have been our most athletic DL. He intercepted two passes, one of which he returned for a touchdown. He not only had the strength quickness and power to collapse the pocket, he had the athletic ability to maintain body control, bat the pass, and make a grab for it. I thought he would be our Kevin Williams, but alas, injury did him in. I don't know how you can blame him for that.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Leon Hall (CB Bengals)
David Harris (OLB Jets)

Hall: could've been the pick. But Harris and Woodson's age wasn't a big problem back then, as was the DL.
Meriwheater: The brass had really high expectations to Collins and Bigby. Collins is a 2 time probowler, and Bigby's 2007 was phenomenal.
Beason: we had Barnett at MLB.
Rice: could've been the pick, considering we took Jordy the next year. Can't refute it. Only say that, again, DL was a bigger problem.
Woodley: we played a 4-3.
Harris: could've been the pick, considering Poppinga was the OLB. But we had just drafted Hawk the year before as an OLB...
Steve Smith: see Rice. But I'd rather have Jordy Nelson than him...

Harrell is almost a bust. He's still with the team, and he can still contribute. But it just doesn't work that way, we could've gotten this, or that. Unless we're talking about the same position, usually the comparison doesn't apply...

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell is not stepping off on the right foot. Maybe it was the heat, but for pete's sake, he's from the South. Tennessee doesn't get hot in August? Will we see him run off the field in December because he got a little chilly? This guy has got to get his head right or he will surely end up in the bust bin with Tony Mandarich and Jamal Reynolds.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell is not stepping off on the right foot. Maybe it was the heat, but for pete's sake, he's from the South. Tennessee doesn't get hot in August? Will we see him run off the field in December because he got a little chilly? This guy has got to get his head right or he will surely end up in the bust bin with Tony Mandarich and Jamal Reynolds.
Exactly! He's from the south! He's not allowed to feel heat cramps!

If/When he has problems with his back, then you can write that.

BTW, other players had the same problem
Several players had trouble with cramps in the high humidity, including CB Jarrett Bush and C Evan Dietrich-Smith. Dietrich-Smith vomited several times and had to take to the cooling off tent off the practice field. He took an IV following practice.
Sunday morning practice breakdown - JSOnline

But I didn't check if they were from the south...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is just waiting to get cut so he can file for unemployment..........lol

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha He'll get one last shot this season.
HE WILL make the team. TT doesnt want to have all of that criticism if they cut him. Plus they're not that deep on the Dline anyway.
Hope he can SOBER UP and start playing like a top 20 pick!

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a liability. End of story. I will bet that some team cuts a decent end by the end of pre season that won't shatter in a mild wind. They should cut their losses and move on.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good grief people. Your animosity towards Harrell is just wrong. He got seriously hurt while lifting weights. You act like he got hurt while laying on the sofa watching sponge bob, reached for the doritos and bumped his elbow.

Here is Harrell:

Ripped his bicep muscle at Tennessee. He refused to end his season, but played the next week because it was a big game against a rival.

He is the only player to wear #92 at Tennessee since Reggie White. He was given that honor because of his leadership, tenacity, toughness, and respect he had from his teammates.

He is not a wimp. He is not lazy. He just unfortunately hurt his back while doing some squats in the offseason. The surgery to fix it was botched and he needed work on it again.

In college, Harrell was impressive. He would have been our most athletic DL. He intercepted two passes, one of which he returned for a touchdown. He not only had the strength quickness and power to collapse the pocket, he had the athletic ability to maintain body control, bat the pass, and make a grab for it. I thought he would be our Kevin Williams, but alas, injury did him in. I don't know how you can blame him for that.

I think people are just frustrated. I don't think they are upset at Harrell so much as they are with TT drafting a player so high with such history of injury. My 2 cents.. at least that's where I stand on the issue. Maybe in a couple years TT will look like a genius, who knows.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't yet know if he is a liability. If he is solid contributor, I would keep him on the 53 and go a little heavy on DL in case his back gives out. Each year they go heavy on a position - last year fullbacks; the year before DL.

He is strong and quick when healthy and can help us a lot this year at DE. In fact, he fits perfectly in the 3-4. I wouldn't write him off just yet. Let's let the preseason play itself out before rushing to judgment.

I agree he has alot of talent deep down inside of him but nothing changes the fact there has been NOTHING for 3 years out of him. With his track record, I don't think GB can take a risk on having a DL who has been chronically injured since he started in the NFL and have Jolly suspended for the year. I think he is a perfect 3-4 fit as well but honestly, he has to contribute this year or GB needs to move on.

Then Minnesota will pick him up via FA or something.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's had 2 surgeries on his back. I don't think his back will hold up to playing defensive line in the NFL, but I think it's a bit harsh to accuse him of being a malingerer. Malingerers don't like to have surgery as part of their game. If he's cut during camp, there's no denying that picking him will have been a mistake. There's nothing like hindsight.

Members online

Latest posts