June 1st Is Today And That Means Some Cuts!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have Not Heard Of Any Yet Sorry But I Know There Will Be Some Players Without A Home Come Later Today. Maybe a surprise cut would be nice. Do you think the Packers will cut any players today that arent highly known.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like changes in the cap and contract structures that there will be alot less June 1st casualties than normal.
Like everything else regarding football at this time of year, mwe just have to wait and see.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here Are some expected people to be cut.

David Patten, WR, Washington Redskins
Marcel Shipp, RB, Arizona Cardinals
Bobby Hamilton, DE, Oakland Raiders
Kailee Wong, LB, Houston Texans
Lee Suggs, RB, Cleveland Browns

A little over a year ago, when the Washington Redskins signed the ever-reliable David Patten to be a starting wideout, receivers coach Stan Hixon said the move was about production, not size. The 5-foot-10 Patten had ideal numbers, if not stature, but after just one season with the Redskins, he could be leaving town with neither.

Patten is a perfect emblem for this year's shallow crop of potential June 1 cuts – a group so undistinguished that teams searching the bargain bin may have a tough time finding a single starter. With Steve McNair's status still up in the air (and the likelihood he'll be traded rather than released), the class of summer castoffs will be robust only in its ability to provide depth.

That said, Patten qualifies as the best of the bunch despite a season that ended on injured reserve after catching just 22 balls for 217 yards. The offseason acquisitions of Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El have turned Patten into Washington's No. 4 wide receiver at best – a standing that won't justify his $1.085 million base salary in 2006, nor the remaining four years on his contract.

Patten turns 32 in August, but he'll make an attractive and cheap option for receiver-needy teams like the Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Bears and San Francisco 49ers. And though he flamed out in Washington, that's more of an indication of a poor fit and an even poorer signing (he inked a five-year $13.5 million pact with a $3.5 million signing bonus).

Entering 2005, the Redskins were expecting something along the lines of Gary Clark – at best a playmaking No. 2, and at worst a productive 50-catch deep threat next to Santana Moss. But Patten never had the quickness to fit the Clark mold that coach Joe Gibbs envisioned.

Patten thrives in wide-open offenses where he doesn't have to be a primary or secondary read – evidenced by his production with the New England Patriots when he was operating behind David Givens and Deion Branch. The next team that signs him will have to expect just that.

Here are four other players that could be cut loose on Thursday:

Marcel Shipp, RB, Arizona Cardinals – The signing of Edgerrin James and the push to develop J.J. Arrington make Shipp's $1.425 million salary almost impossible to justify. And he should generate some solid interest when he hits the open market. Shipp is still young – he'll be 28 when the season starts – and can be a productive backup when healthy. That's a key phrase for a guy that ran for 830-plus yards in both 2002 and 2003 but has had injuries slow his production significantly over the last two seasons. Last year's 2.9 yards-per-carry average is more indicative of Arizona's horrendous offensive line play.

Bobby Hamilton, DE, Oakland Raiders – Another player destined for a backup spot, Hamilton's $1.335 million base salary in 2006 is too pricey. He's still a quality veteran who could be a valuable option for teams that lack depth or don't have every-down defensive ends and need a plugger against the run. He had 56 tackles in 13 starts last season, and he's been a remarkably healthy player, missing only two games in the last six years. The one thing working against Hamilton is his age (he turns 35 in July).

Kailee Wong, LB, Houston Texans – With the additions at linebacker and Wong's knee issues, his $2 million base salary – and the remaining three years and $8.625 million left on his deal – make it a virtual certainty that he'll be let go. The problem at this point is that Wong's injuries have kept him from returning to the field this summer. As of this week, he still hasn't gotten medical clearance, and a potential injury grievance means the Texans can't part ways with him until he does. That said, the 30-year old Wong should have plenty left in the tank to be a solid two- to three-year starter for potential suitors.

Lee Suggs, RB, Cleveland Browns – Like Wong, Suggs may be around a bit longer than June 1. The Browns have been trying to deal Suggs with no takers, but they seem intent on trying to get something of value in return for him. Cleveland could end up holding onto him until training camp, in hopes that another team suffers injuries in the backfield and is desperate to deal for help. But considering Suggs has an injury history that has limited him to 25 games and only three starts in three years, it's not likely the Browns will get many inquiries – if any. But Suggs turns 26 in August and has had some impressive moments in limited opportunities. He should draw the interest of multiple teams if he's jettisoned.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that is the cream of the casualty crop, I don't think there is much Teddy and Mike III can grab onto.
At this point I'm more worried about the kicking situation than any other position and I don't think June 1st casualties will produce anything for us there.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love me some Juuuuune cuts.

TT seems to love to shop cheap, so the names we aren't getting excited over, are names he's probably salivating over...so if he gets one or two, lets just hope he knows more than we do!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless there is some major surprise cut by someone, i don't see anyone to get worked up about.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until I saw this post, I had forgotten entirely about the June 1st cuts. So expectations must be low. Of those mentioned in PackerLegend's post, the linebacker Kailee Wong may possibly be worth a look, especially if he plays the strong side.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers Gave Someone The Boot

He Is A DT........

Tim McGill

Not a big name but it is someone

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Unless there is some major surprise cut by someone, i don't see anyone to get worked up about.

It just isn't what it used to be. Teams are smarter in managing rosters and cap. Plus why they can keep a guy until later. There used to be fear of injury and the player keeping his salary on IR. Teams not worried about that now.