Josh Gordon ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am fine going after Gordon but at the same time I have been impressed by Allison so far and really the top 3 wrs and Jimmy Graham. So far so good in my mind. Depth is where we are lacking. Do the rookies have like a combined 1 catch so far?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The ****ing Patriots are closing in on a deal for Josh Gordon, because of course they are.

Per Rapoport.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be happy to give up a 5th that could turn into a 4th. Hell to be honest I'd be happy giving up a straight up 4th.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple questions that may change my mind. Is he an UFA or RFA after the season? If he a RFA will the Patriots be able to get a pick if someone signs him? If so it is a shroud NE type move.

That said I dont think Gordon deserves the hype he gets. He has had one great season and then a bunch of suspensions. There are already red flags about his attitude this year. Cleveland just doesnt want him around their team. He is a flier. If he came here I would expect him to be the 5th option for pass catchers until he proved otherwise.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn, I can’t wait to see what Brady can do with Gordon. Outside of Gronk, they were in dire need of a big time wr.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will definitely be back in at least the AFC championship. Their defense sucks, but they can score 35 a game with Gordon, Edelman, Gronk, and Brady. They have size and speed at wr now smh. I hate the Patriots!! Ugh how come we always just sit around and watch everybody else get better haha our secondary will need to be at full strength because now it won’t be any “let’s double Gronk” talk around the league I’m sure.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not suprised, why wouldn’t you give the guy a chance???? Talent trumps a lot of off the field issues in the nfl in case some of you haven’t noticed that already.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, how didnt we jump on this.
Of course the Patriots end up with him. I can't help but think the Browns would have rather traded him to us since we're not in the same conference. Somehow Belichick is right on top of everything, as usual. Not sleeping behind his GM desk, that's for sure.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course the Patriots end up with him. I can't help but think the Browns would have rather traded him to us since we're not in the same conference. Somehow Belichick is right on top of everything, as usual. Not sleeping behind his GM desk, that's for sure.

Yup, and that 53 roster spot changes yet again, although something tells me if someone else comes up that BB likes it won't be Gordon getting cut this time.

The Corey Coleman experience did not last long. No comp pick for BB on that one but I think this was a better move. Its moves like this that make him the best at what he does.

D

Deleted member 6794

A couple questions that may change my mind. Is he an UFA or RFA after the season? If he a RFA will the Patriots be able to get a pick if someone signs him? If so it is a shroud NE type move.

Gordon will be a restricted free agent at the end of this season. If the Patriots tender him they will receive at least a second round pick if another team signs him.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gordon will be a restricted free agent at the end of this season. If the Patriots tender him they will receive at least a second round pick if another team signs him.

That alone makes it worthwhile risk for the Patriots. They can really lose much in this deal because if Gordon's head isnt on straight then he isnt active so the lose a 5th and gain say a 7th. If he is active and not productive they lose a 5th. If he is active and productive they get him for almost two years or get him and a pick if someone else signs him

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That alone makes it worthwhile risk for the Patriots. They can really lose much in this deal because if Gordon's head isnt on straight then he isnt active so the lose a 5th and gain say a 7th. If he is active and not productive they lose a 5th. If he is active and productive they get him for almost two years or get him and a pick if someone else signs him

I'd happy to carry him at this cost in place of Moore/Brown.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's funny to me that because of the Patriots' success over the years, fans generally assume that everything they do is just going to be great.

The Patriots are successful because they have the best coach/quarterback combination of all time. That is the engine that drives them to great seasons and Super Bowls. Their success in the areas around those two (e.g. the draft, FA acquisitions, trades, etc.) is good, but not flawless or overly remarkable. Belichick does not have the Midas touch.

Just last week, Packer fans (and you can be sure, fans of every other team) were lamenting how the Patriots had signed Corey Coleman and he was going to be soooo good. He's already been cut. Now they've traded for Josh Gordon. He could be amazing or he could be cut next week. But the assumption is that he's definitely going to be Randy Moss 2.0.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny to me that because of the Patriots' success over the years, fans generally assume that everything they do is just going to be great.

The Patriots are successful because they have the best coach/quarterback combination of all time. That is the engine that drives them to great seasons and Super Bowls. Their success in the areas around those two (e.g. the draft, FA acquisitions, trades, etc.) is good, but not flawless or overly remarkable. Belichick does not have the Midas touch.

Just last week, Packer fans (and you can be sure, fans of every other team) were lamenting how the Patriots had signed Corey Coleman and he was going to be soooo good. He's already been cut. Now they've traded for Josh Gordon. He could be amazing or he could be cut next week. But the assumption is that he's definitely going to be Randy Moss 2.0.

When your coach/GM makes as many moves as BB does and they win as many SBs as the Patriots have it is logical to assume that he makes some very good decisions. As you point out however it is incorrect to assume they all work out.

The thing is you never know if a guy is going to work out if you don't try. You can go through a season with that last man on your roster and he never sees the field or you can keep trying out guys that may help your team. They may not but that 53rd guy probably is not going to either. Belichick may not have the Midas touch and he may not hit on FAs any more than any other coaches. Lets just say 20% for the hell of it. 1 coach tries 5 free agents he hits on 1 BB tries 20 he hits on 4. Sure he hit on the same percentage but he got 4 guys to help his team and he has risked little.

When the cost and risk are relatively low and the reward is potentially very high (like it is with Gordon) BB seems to not be worried about making a mistake. I am not assuming Gordon will be Moss 2.0 but I think he could be.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, belichick and the Pats have been dominant and to many superbowls in the last couple decades. You can’t be afraid to take chances. I believe in a good locker room as much as the next guy, but it’s week 2 and not like we’re blowing teams out with our supreme locker room. Gordon is a chance I woulda took, just like the head of one of the most successful franchises of all time did.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree there's no guarantee trading for Gordon works out well for the Patriots. But taking a look at what they gave up to acquire him the move could reap huge benefits without the team taking a significant risk.

I would have definitely be fine with the Packers agreeing to a similar trade to get Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts