Josh Gordon ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

We can call him for a meet and if Gute/MM is convinced he wants to turn a new page, by all means sign him.

I would definitely be more worried about signing Gordon as he might ask for a significant increase over what he's earning right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes he smokes/ed weed. I think its foolish the way people discriminate against weed. Get your priorities straight. There are real issues out there.

We all have varying opinions on weed, unfortunately it doesn't matter what WE think in regards to pot and NFL players, its what the NFL thinks and how that would ultimately effect a player like Gordon's ability to stay on the field.

The Packers should take a chance of Gordon, preferably by trading a late round pick to the Browns to acquire him as that would result in him counting only $700K towards the cap in 2018 as well as him being a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

While there's risk involved with the move the Packers could cut him at any point without it resulting in significant dead money.

I could go either way on the decision to try and get Gordon, but as Captain points out, trading for him now would be the smartest way to do it. Once he hits Free Agency, his cost/risk factor would be to high IMO.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To call someone who smokes a plant a "substance abuser" is an entirely ignorant statement. Also what is the risk if he gets a lifetime ban he gets a lifetime ban all you really lose is possibly the player you cut to open up a spot on the 53. So say you cut Burton the cb who just signed you may lose him but probably not more than likely no one would claim him and you could sign him to the ps.
I see no real negative on taking a chance on the guy. And a huge possible upside if he gets his act together for the chance to play with Rodgers and make himself some real money in 2019

I'm not against a guy who wants to drink or get high, that's all him. Your attaching your personal sentiment to a particular plant doesn't make my statement ignorant either. The truth is legal, not legal has zero bearing here...

He is in a program that BANs him for life from a game that makes men millionaires. Knowing he can be banned from likely his best shot at providing a life altering amount of $$$ has had no lasting impact on his ability to stay sober (whether right or wrong/legal or illegal). If the guy can't be depended on, and has a high probability of failure, why risk it?

At the very least,you end up with a potential locker room issue. I would love the whole "Madden 19" methodology of it, but that's in a bubble. The guy has talant, but so do lots of players.

and I don't care if it's chocolate that the league has banned. If they say stop, or we will prevent you from playing and you choose to anyway, or have such a sweet tooth that you cant stop, you show a remarkable ability to make poor choices or have an addiction to a substance that you know will prevent you from potential play.

based on those rules (not my personal rules or even belief mind you) why would I want to spend any $$$ or draft picks to acquire him?

Potential is only worth it if you can get in the field... Something this guy's SUBSTANCE ABUSE has limited him to a whopping total of 6 games over the last 4+ seasons because of. Something that got him suspended and booted from a college team. Got him taken with a future supplemental 2nd rd pick (because of "potential"). Suspended multiple times, arrested, and soon to be cut... None of which has dissuaded him from what I think is a perfectly ok item to use. All of which should have convinced him to stop anyway, if he were serious about playing a sport that DOES condemn its players from doin it.

It hasn't and he hasnt. Again... Hard pass.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not against a guy who wants to drink or get high, that's all him. Your attaching your personal sentiment to a particular plant doesn't make my statement ignorant either. The truth is legal, not legal has zero bearing here...

He is in a program that BANs him for life from a game that makes men millionaires. Knowing he can be banned from likely his best shot at providing a life altering amount of $$$ has had no lasting impact on his ability to stay sober (whether right or wrong/legal or illegal). If the guy can't be depended on, and has a high probability of failure, why risk it?

At the very least,you end up with a potential locker room issue. I would love the whole "Madden 19" methodology of it, but that's in a bubble. The guy has talant, but so do lots of players.

and I don't care if it's chocolate that the league has banned. If they say stop, or we will prevent you from playing and you choose to anyway, or have such a sweet tooth that you cant stoo, you show a remarkable ability to make poor choices or have an addiction to a substance that you know will prevent you from potential play.

based on those rules (not my personal rules or even belief mind you) why would I want to spend any $$$ or draft picks to acquire him?

Potential is only worth it if you can get in the field... Something this guy's SUBSTANCE ABUSE has limited him to a whopping total of 6 games over the last 4+ seasons because of. Something that got him suspended and booted from a team. Got him taken with a future 2nd rd pick (because of "potential"). Suspended multiple times, arrested, and soon to be cut... None of which has dissuaded him from what I think is a perfectly ok item to use. All of which should have convinced him to stop anyway, if he were serious about playing a sport that does condemn its players from doin it.

It hasn't and he hasnt. Again... Hard pass.

Just to be clear, the Browns aren't releasing Gordon because of him violating the substance abuse policy or failing a test.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's disingenuous at best. So with that logic you think they would be releasing him without any of the drug/alcohol items listed above?

My guess is no they would not. Which means in part, the things mentioned already are absolutely the reason. Just wasn't the straw that broke the back.

Based on what Brown's staff are saying about how he was "not himself" on Saturday morning... I can't even honestly say that it ISN'T the real reason, and they just don't want to pile on another thing that could prevent a player they obviously like from potentially getting future employment.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's disingenuous at best. So with that logic you think they would be releasing him without any of the drug/alcohol items listed above?

My guess is no they would not. Which means in part, the things mentioned already are absolutely the reason. Just wasn't the straw that broke the back.

Based on what Brown's staff are saying about how he was "not himself" on Saturday morning... I can't even honestly say that it ISN'T the real reason, and they just don't want to pile on another thing that could prevent a player they obviously like from potentially getting future employment.

Of course Gordon's drug abuse in the past hugely factored into the Browns decision to release him but he has been clean for quite some time and as a hugely talented receiver might be worth for the Packers to take a look at him as the cost wouldn't be extraordinary high.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if we could rent him and put a clause in stating if he doesn't show up he doesn't get paid....a pay per view type guy....LOL....he is as much of a no show as buggy is on here....:cautious:

D

Deleted member 6794

I wonder if we could rent him and put a clause in stating if he doesn't show up he doesn't get paid....a pay per view type guy....LOL....

NFL players aren't paid if they don't show up while under contract.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course Gordon's drug abuse in the past hugely factored into the Browns decision to release him but he has been clean for quite some time and as a hugely talented receiver might be worth for the Packers to take a look at him as the cost wouldn't be extraordinary high.
if they do all the checks and he is in fact still clean, etc and our FO decides he's worth the risk, I'd support it. I do trust them to do their homework and take calculated risks. But I gotta say, to just cut him now after being late and not "being himself" sends up flags as red as Cheech and Chong's eyes with a message sent as high as they're smoke signals

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
if they do all the checks and he is in fact still clean, etc and our FO decides he's worth the risk, I'd support it. I do trust them to do their homework and take calculated risks. But I gotta say, to just cut him now after being late and not "being himself" sends up flags as red as Cheech and Chong's eyes with a message sent as high as they're smoke signals

Maybe with the Packers connections to Cleveland they can dig deep into all the flags. Now even a team like Cleveland isn't dumb enough to give up on a guy with that kind of talent, just because he looked "off". However, it could be a case where both Cleveland and Gordon were just fed up with each other and a whole new environment is what is needed for Gordon to get a fresh start and on track.

I mean can you even buy pot in Green Bay? Guion isn't around any longer with his "family stash" :whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems that being late wasn't the main reason the Browns finally decided to get rid of Gordon but him getting injured while doing a photo shoot.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
duuuude....where is the nearest fruity drink/munchies stand?....lol

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I can appreciate the concerns over red flags are we really going to pretend that our WR situation is so good that Josh Gordon wouldn't instantly be a massive upgrade as the number 4 WR after Adams/Cobb/Allison even without knowing the playbook.... while drunk?

I mean any game that he plays sober hes a pretty massive upgrade over everyone not named Adams

The Browns gave him six years. Do you not think he was also their best WR? John Dorsey isn't stupid. He cut him for a reason. He's not a massive upgrade over anything if he can't play.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned before acquiring Gordon is a risky move but he has way more talent than any of the young receivers currently on the Packers roster that it might be worth the gamble.

So what? Talent is only half of the equation. The rest is hard work and dedication. All of those same young WRs you mention are harder workers than Gordon will ever be. The most important thing to him is his paycheck, not his team and not winning. PASS.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would definitely be more worried about signing Gordon as he might ask for a significant increase over what he's earning right now.
I'm not sure "earning" is the right word. "Earning" implies that hard work is being done.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they can make a trade for him. I don't think he will be cut. I think some team will trade for him. Why else announce you will cut him on Monday, why not just do it? Is there some sort of rule you can't cut a player on the weekend? There are enough teams who would be willing to give him a chance to risk waiting for him on waivers. I think the order (after the Browns of course) is Giants, Colts, Texans, Broncos, Jets, Bucs, Bears, Niners, Raiders, Dolphins, Skins then us. I would be willing to bet doesn't get to us.

Of course after typing all this I remember that he is not subject to waivers so I just wasted all that time. All the more reason to make the trade.

D

Deleted member 6794

So what? Talent is only half of the equation. The rest is hard work and dedication. All of those same young WRs you mention are harder workers than Gordon will ever be. The most important thing to him is his paycheck, not his team and not winning. PASS.

Once again, it's definitely not a given that Gordon would get his act together in Green Bay but it might be smart to take a gamble on him considering his talent. By trading for him the Packers wouldn't take a huge financial risk and could release him at any point.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean Gordon has had trash qb s throwing him the ball I wonder what he could do with Rodgers

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's the Cleveland Browns. Whatever decision they make will be the wrong one.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers trade for Gordon they could get his services for $2.6 million until the end of the 2019 season as he will be a restricted free agent at the end of this year.

To me a late round pick and 2.6 million seems like a great deal for the chance that he comes in plays well. I think the offense would be unfair with Adams and Gordon outside and graham and Cobb inside. With Allison as the number 4

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To me a late round pick and 2.6 million seems like a great deal for the chance that he comes in plays well. I think the offense would be unfair with Adams and Gordon outside and graham and Cobb inside. With Allison as the number 4

Even better is if he doesn't work out, the Packers stand to lose whatever they trade for him and only the portion of his $790,000 contract for this year.

I doubt the Packers are too concerned with the money, more than what bringing a guy like Gordon in could do to negatively impact the team. He most definitely has a huge upside (see 2013), but so far, he really has mostly proven his down side since coming into the league in 2012.

I think a trade is going to happen today.

Josina Anderson of ESPN reported "at least eight to 10 teams have called the Browns" about a trade.

This report has the Packers as the second (behind Patriots) most probable team that Gordon gets traded to. Had Allison not played so well the last 2 games, I might agree with it. Not to mention that we have 3 rookies on the team.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-engla...don-trade-new-NFL-team-121958043/#121958043_4

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Even better is if he doesn't work out, the Packers stand to lose whatever they trade for him and only the portion of his $790,000 contract for this year.

I doubt the Packers are too concerned with the money, more than what bringing a guy like Gordon in could do to negatively impact the team. He most definitely has a huge upside (see 2013), but so far, he really has mostly proven his down side since coming into the league in 2012.

I think a trade is going to happen today.

Josina Anderson of ESPN reported "at least eight to 10 teams have called the Browns" about a trade.

This report has the Packers as the second (behind Patriots) most probable team that Gordon gets traded to. Had Allison not played so well the last 2 games, I might agree with it. Not to mention that we have 3 rookies on the team.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-engla...don-trade-new-NFL-team-121958043/#121958043_4
What concerns me is the number of teams that are going to be interested in acquiring Gordon. All of those teams will likely be willing to part with a 5th or 6th round pick.

I don't see the Packers offering much more than that. If anything at all.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Can he not irrevocably ruin a game with a horrible call? Maybe the NFL can hire him to officiate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts