Josh Gordon ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cleveland is releasing Gordon on Monday. I know he was not going to play tomorrow because of a hamstring injury. Is Gordon worth a look? I don't know at this point if there are any other issues going on with him. His time in the NFL has been well documented with his issues. A tremendous talent that brings drama.

Will the Green Bay locker room be a good place for him. Is their a role for him on this team??. Can he help this team win games?

Is he worth a look? I look foward to hearing the perspectives of everyone.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell no.

Guy is a mess. Go be a mess on some other team, take their money and be a pain there.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell yes I want the Packers to bring him in for a look. Sure he's a mess but that's also the only reason he's being cut loose.

This is a buy low option that can pay HUGE dividends this season and one that would seem pretty similar to Rison

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely sign him the chance to add a receiver this talented doesn't come along often

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And who are you going to cut to bring him on the roster? They're cutting him because he was late to report to practice Saturday and was "not himself." That's a big red flag.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And who are you going to cut to bring him on the roster? They're cutting him because he was late to report to practice Saturday and was "not himself." That's a big red flag.

While I can appreciate the concerns over red flags are we really going to pretend that our WR situation is so good that Josh Gordon wouldn't instantly be a massive upgrade as the number 4 WR after Adams/Cobb/Allison even without knowing the playbook.... while drunk?

I mean any game that he plays sober hes a pretty massive upgrade over everyone not named Adams

Last edited:

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. Cutt Boyle or put him on the ps.
He’d be our most talented wr by a mile.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless he's not sober and will just be suspended again.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24690655/josh-gordon-released-cleveland-browns-monday

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-to-release-veteran-wr-josh-gordon-on-monday

Josh Gordon would be a massive upgrade over most receivers on Green Bay's roster. Reading the articles, and grasping the contractual situation. I think Gordon and his agents cooked this idea up with the intention of forcing the Browns hand in releasing him. At 27/28 years of age, he's looking to secure a big contract or two before its all said and done. The Cleveland Browns are a joke!!! Its definitely a referendum on Hue Jackson. It wouldn't surprise me to see him fired this season or at the end of it. Clearly, the is power struggle going among the coaches, and Browns ownership is slowly sapping Jackson of his authority. Another team's loss could our gain. If released on Monday, Green Bay could sign Gordon for the veteran's minimum. If he produces, Green Bay could negotiate a long term deal. He'll never get a huge deal based on past transgressions, but get a nice incentive laden deal.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell yes I want the Packers to bring him in for a look. Sure he's a mess but that's also the only reason he's being cut loose.

This is a buy low option that can pay HUGE dividends this season and one that would seem pretty similar to Rison

Andre Rison was ballin' during the Supper Bowl run of 1996. He improved the offense greatly.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is back on the skunk yo prob gonna get another suspension

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I say no.

I know he’s super talented but I do believe that locker room chemistry matters and he strikes
me as the type that could ruin it.

You have a guy who has proven that he really isn’t that dedicated to football. So you bring that guy in and he presumably starts getting snaps ahead of guys who have been working their butts off. Doesn’t seem like it would have a net positive effect.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both arguments have merit.

The telling point here is the reporting of persistent tardiness and potentially reckless behavior as of less than 16 hours ago.

As someone who has been missing out on football for most of the last few years, that says he isn't dedicated (to me) to being the type of "all in " he needs not only for the NFL, but sober life as a known substance abuser.

It's likely he will only cost in real $$$ a later (very late) draft pick, which makes him affordable.

In real terms, the damage he may inflict via locker room, lost opps for other WRs, and... and ultimately... The circus due to the circumstances while already dealing with the early season injury to AR being a distraction... adding this as ANOTHER focal point our team has to deal with that takes their head away from football...

I'm a hard no.

*** Edit***

Additional point... One more positive test for drugs OR alcohol... Lifetime ban. Why risk it?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We didn't bring in randy moss or adrian Peterson because of character issues... I don't see green bay doing it.

But if I was calling the shot, and knew all the details. I would go get him. For sure. He was a top 3 receiver at like 23 years old....

Yes he smokes/ed weed. I think its foolish the way people discriminate against weed. Get your priorities straight. There are real issues out there.

Ricky Williams is another great example of a first ballot hof talent being destroyed because he CHOSE to smoke weed. As if its anyone's right to Say he can't.
I mean Ricky Williams became a passivist, yoga trainer!!! Good god lock him up...
Rightousness is a sickness now days.

He got three targets. One was the tying td. You want to know why He acted up? Look no further. He wants the ball.

Look at what Ricky williams did For the dolphins the Second half his career.... End of debate.
Get off your high horses. Its weed not crank.

My honest opinion...

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cleveland is releasing Gordon on Monday. I know he was not going to play tomorrow because of a hamstring injury. Is Gordon worth a look? I don't know at this point if there are any other issues going on with him. His time in the NFL has been well documented with his issues. A tremendous talent that brings drama.

Will the Green Bay locker room be a good place for him. Is their a role for him on this team??. Can he help this team win games?

NO, NO, NO!

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers should take a chance of Gordon, preferably by trading a late round pick to the Browns to acquire him as that would result in him counting only $700K towards the cap in 2018 as well as him being a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

While there's risk involved with the move the Packers could cut him at any point without it resulting in significant dead money.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both arguments have merit.

The telling point here is the reporting of persistent tardiness and potentially reckless behavior as of less than 16 hours ago.

As someone who has been missing out on football for most of the last few years, that says he isn't dedicated (to me) to being the type of "all in " he needs not only for the NFL, but sober life as a known substance abuser.

It's likely he will only cost in real $$$ a later (very late) draft pick, which makes him affordable.

In real terms, the damage he may inflict via locker room, lost opps for other WRs, and... and ultimately... The circus due to the circumstances while already dealing with the early season injury to AR being a distraction... adding this as ANOTHER focal point our team has to deal with that takes their head away from football...

I'm a hard no.

*** Edit***

Additional point... One more positive test for drugs OR alcohol... Lifetime ban. Why risk it?

To call someone who smokes a plant a "substance abuser" is an entirely ignorant statement. Also what is the risk if he gets a lifetime ban he gets a lifetime ban all you really lose is possibly the player you cut to open up a spot on the 53. So say you cut Burton the cb who just signed you may lose him but probably not more than likely no one would claim him and you could sign him to the ps.
I see no real negative on taking a chance on the guy. And a huge possible upside if he gets his act together for the chance to play with Rodgers and make himself some real money in 2019

D

Deleted member 6794

And a huge possible upside if he gets his act together for the chance to play with Rodgers and make himself some real money in 2019

If the Packers trade for Gordon they could get his services for $2.6 million until the end of the 2019 season as he will be a restricted free agent at the end of this year.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

No. Absolutely not. Look, the guy doesn't show up. If he doesn't show up he can't be a tremendous talent. Not even worth "a look" - the guy has made his choices in life and nobody can say that the Browns didn't give this kid a chance. The Packers have young men on the roster who have shown up. They've done all of the right things - Gordon doesn't get anymore chances in my book. Were it my choice, he'd have been axed years ago.

Just a couple of points:

Yes he smokes/ed weed. I think its foolish the way people discriminate against weed. Get your priorities straight. There are real issues out there.

GBS, not calling you out here. I've heard this one over the years and while I share your opinion that it's just weed, it's still illegal in most parts of the country and .... just try to get a job in nearly any profession with a positive test. I hear it over and over from "job creators" - I've got jobs that go unfilled because we can't find candidates that pass the drug screening. In short, we all have to make choices and Gordon has. Whether or not we agree, the NFL and most states say it's a no-no. THAT is actually the end of the debate.

The Packers' receiving corps was decimated by injury during the '96 season. Brooks was gone. Freeman had a busted arm. Chmura was broken. Bringing in Rison was a desperation move and very telling that he was not re-signed after the 96-97 season. The guy was a head case but as I said, desperation makes for strange bedfellows.

In short, the Pack aren't desperate. They'd have made a serious push for Bryant who is a head case too but not near the head case that a guy like Gordon HAS to be. Both of those clowns would be serious locker room issues and the relative serenity of the Packers' locker room isn't happenstance, nor a half-way house for broken people. Both are low character guys, which in my opinion are not anywhere near the majority in the NFL. Rison is still a turd, blaming everyone else for his choices, if you Google the guy. Guys don't just become turds overnight...it's their career.

D

Deleted member 6794

No. Absolutely not. Look, the guy doesn't show up. If he doesn't show up he can't be a tremendous talent. Not even worth "a look" - the guy has made his choices in life and nobody can say that the Browns didn't give this kid a chance. The Packers have young men on the roster who have shown up. They've done all of the right things - Gordon doesn't get anymore chances in my book. Were it my choice, he'd have been axed years ago.

As I've mentioned before acquiring Gordon is a risky move but he has way more talent than any of the young receivers currently on the Packers roster that it might be worth the gamble.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
As I've mentioned before acquiring Gordon is a risky move but he has way more talent than any of the young receivers currently on the Packers roster that it might be worth the gamble.

That's fine, Cap and I don't disagree with the logic in most cases and you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

If you had the opportunity to buy a 2004 Corvette; with 10k miles on it; it is pretty; and it is shiny; that was a great car in 2004 and part of 2005 but then, had every component repaired, replaced and now had recurring transmission and electrical issues and the seller disclosed ahead of time that the vehicle was a Katrina flood car ... would you even consider buying it at ANY price? Players are commodities - they've said so themselves ... we hear it all the time ... "It's a business decision..."

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mo Wilks didn't have a stellar reputation when we signed him.

We can call him for a meet and if Gute/MM is convinced he wants to turn a new page, by all means sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts