Johnny Jolly will miss all of 2010, maybe more

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the NFL has suspended Packers defensive end Johnny Jolly for the entire 2010 season. According to Bedard, the league's ban on Jolly has been formally characterized as "indefinite."More to come....

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This should be moved into the main section of the forum.

Im not that upset and I think the TT haters need to give credit to TT for seeing this before it happened.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With this, there're 2 spots for C.J. Wilson, Harrell and Jarius Wynn.

And yo'ure absolutely right, ivo. Now that 2nd round pick on Neal looks awfully good.

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:frustrated: Man that sucks. So that's two DE's gone: Jolly, and Montgomery

But we picked up two DE's (Neal, and Wilson) in the draft. So at least we got somebody that can fill in.

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And yo'ure absolutely right, ivo. Now that 2nd round pick on Neal looks awfully good.

Haha, you and I were thinking the same thing at the same time. I posted something similar like right after you did.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DLs on the roster (not suspended):
Jenkins
Pickett
Raji
Neal
Wilson
Harrell
Wynn
Toribio
Talley
Mullins

I expect 6 to 7 DLs to be kept.

Players with a sure roster spot: Jenkins, Raji, Pickett
Player with an almost sure roster spot: Neal

That leaves 2 to 3 spots open.
Normally, I would expect Toribio to have a spot, as he's a NT, but with Raji and Pickett, and with the amount of nickel packages we use, unles he shows tremenduous ability, I don't see him getting it. The same goes for Mullins.

Talley seems like a long shot, also.

So, like I said before, we have a former 1st rounder in Harrell, a 5th in Wynn, and a 7th in Wilson competing for 2 roster spots, with the possibility of all of them entering.

Even if Jolly sucked at rushing the passer, our rotation suffered a blow (though expected). We need Neal and one of those 3 guys to step up, to be contenders IMHO.

OP
OP
News Bot

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Jolly's suspension is for substance abuse

When news of Packers defensive end Johnny Jolly's indefinite suspension broke Friday, we assumed the ban was related to Jolly's pending drug trial. Jolly is accused of numerous offenses that essentially paint him as a drug kingpin in the Houston...

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Wolvi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we know any more details? Had he failed tests (if this is the case) before? TT said
“Johnny is a good player that loves everything about the game of football. We appreciate the contributions he has made to the Packers the past four seasons. His focus and priorities now lie elsewhere – our thoughts are with him during this difficult personal time.”

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
montgomery was not fit for the 34 defence, so im not sad hes gone. but jolly i think is a huge blow. neal, wynn, raji really need to step up this year.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DLs on the roster (not suspended):
Jenkins
Pickett
Raji
Neal
Wilson
Harrell
Wynn
Toribio
Talley
Mullins

I expect 6 to 7 DLs to be kept.

Players with a sure roster spot: Jenkins, Raji, Pickett
Player with an almost sure roster spot: Neal

That leaves 2 to 3 spots open.
Normally, I would expect Toribio to have a spot, as he's a NT, but with Raji and Pickett, and with the amount of nickel packages we use, unles he shows tremenduous ability, I don't see him getting it. The same goes for Mullins.

Talley seems like a long shot, also.

So, like I said before, we have a former 1st rounder in Harrell, a 5th in Wynn, and a 7th in Wilson competing for 2 roster spots, with the possibility of all of them entering.

Even if Jolly sucked at rushing the passer, our rotation suffered a blow (though expected). We need Neal and one of those 3 guys to step up, to be contenders IMHO.

i agree with pretty much everything you are saying. Should make for a spirited training camp. Sure would be nice to see something out of Harrell - but I don't think anyone is holding their breath. If Harrell isn't healthy, the concern for me would be the number of DL who are either rookies or 2nd year players. Maybe TT does a trade just before final cuts to pick up a more experienced guy to supplement the youngsters.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats exactly what I was thinking... Neal may not have been a bad choice after all. I was pretty irritated with the pick but not anymore.

Packers should just completely sever ties and forget about him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm

Trial isnt even done and the NFL suspended him...Doesnt sound right to me, anyone else?

Maybe he failed a drug test but I thought there was a procedure to follow?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I might be on here defending this harsh punishment for something that hasnt gone to trial if it wasnt for that headbutt and his contract dispute this year.

And yes I agree, the packers should have cut him and blasted him at the press conference.

If Neal doesnt work out I think we should give his father a try out.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He pretty much had to be failing drug tests they were giving him. I know the judge in his case has already been after him for pictures taken of him drinking with gang bangers in Houston when he was supposed to be completely removed from pretty much every thing.

The guy is a *******! His attitude through out this thing has appeared to be crap. Totally self inflicted. The guy wants to be a hero to his looser gang banger buddies back in Houston.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He pretty much had to be failing drug tests they were giving him. I know the judge in his case has already been after him for pictures taken of him drinking with gang bangers in Houston when he was supposed to be completely removed from pretty much every thing.

The guy is a *******! His attitude through out this thing has appeared to be crap. Totally self inflicted. The guy wants to be a hero to his looser gang banger buddies back in Houston.

Agreed I think he is very stupid too..

But something doesnt add up? He is suspended before a trial is done?

Maybe the evidence they have he admitted to?

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed I think he is very stupid too..

But something doesnt add up? He is suspended before a trial is done?

Maybe the evidence they have he admitted to?

This has nothing to do with his upcoming trial for distributing narcotics. It has everything to do with the NFL's policy on substance abuse. Problem is much of this is not visible to the public, so it is likely this has been going on for quite some time. Lori Nickel wrote a nice article on it. And as far as being stupid ... the man looks like he has an addiction problem. The dude needs help.

NFL suspends Jolly - JSOnline

If and when this goes to trial, there could be additional suspensions from the NFL, not to mention jail or prison time. It does not look good for Jolly in the green and gold anytime soon. Too bad because he had a bright football future in front of him.

Thompson's defensive line draft picks all make sense now.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was the flyer that put him over edge for suspension. He was ordered as part of his probation to remove himself from those kinds of establishments and he didn't. Even though it messes with the Packers, I'm all for some actual punishment for pro players when they do crap like this. It is also a golden opportunity for some young players to step up and make Packer fans forget all about Jolly.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its very hard to test positive in the NFL for drug use that isnt performance enhancing. They test 1 time a year and the players have a very good idea when it is (spring or summer, if your not tested in the spring its coming in the summer, I just forget the months). Im not saying he didnt test positive but I think it says alot about his common sense if he did.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with his upcoming trial for distributing narcotics. It has everything to do with the NFL's policy on substance abuse. Problem is much of this is not visible to the public, so it is likely this has been going on for quite some time. Lori Nickel wrote a nice article on it. And as far as being stupid ... the man looks like he has an addiction problem. The dude needs help.

NFL suspends Jolly - JSOnline

If and when this goes to trial, there could be additional suspensions from the NFL, not to mention jail or prison time. It does not look good for Jolly in the green and gold anytime soon. Too bad because he had a bright football future in front of him.

Thompson's defensive line draft picks all make sense now.

I get all that, but as I am trying to explain..

It might seem unusual for Jolly to receive a season-long suspension, but it is possible for a player to progress through earlier phases of the NFL's substance abuse program without public knowledge.
Typically, a player with violations goes through Stages One, Two and Three of the program with increasing punishments.

Was he in those programs? Was he in trouble that we were not aware of?

He MUSt have been in trouble that we are not aware of, other wise why the full year?

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get all that, but as I am trying to explain..

Was he in those programs? Was he in trouble that we were not aware of?

He MUSt have been in trouble that we are not aware of, other wise why the full year?

I think you must be right because it sure seems extreme based on what has been public.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Here's the thing. If I am not mistaken, the drug bust itself could have put him into phase one. Which requires a lot more random testing. If he hits a positive he goes into phase two. Which of course is more testing at the whim of the NFL. But to be out for a year he would have had to have been in phase three. Now, if he was in phase three and popped positive, yeah, he's screwed. The JS article looks like she did her homework.

And maybe, just maybe we never heard about it because the NFL finally plugged the "unknown" sources that kept leaking information on this stuff to the press.

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I was thinking... Neal may not have been a bad choice after all. I was pretty irritated with the pick but not anymore.

Packers should just completely sever ties and forget about him.

AGREED!!! We really dont need that kinda crap on our team.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of us who don't know, here is what this is all about. As far as JJ, see ya, I have no time for a** holes like you who have the world by the short hairs and **** it all away.
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_drank]Purple drank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing. If I am not mistaken, the drug bust itself could have put him into phase one. Which requires a lot more random testing. If he hits a positive he goes into phase two. Which of course is more testing at the whim of the NFL. But to be out for a year he would have had to have been in phase three. Now, if he was in phase three and popped positive, yeah, he's screwed. The JS article looks like she did her homework.

And maybe, just maybe we never heard about it because the NFL finally plugged the "unknown" sources that kept leaking information on this stuff to the press.

The thing is we may never know this considering this information since it doesn't need to be open to the public. The fact that we never heard about the phase 1 and phase 2 offenses is kind of surprising on the other hand. It makes you wonder how far back the Packers really knew about his situation. Jolly was drafted back in '06 and the coaches really liked his potential. Even with Ryan Pickett in the mix, TT still went and drafted another DT in the first round (Justin Harrell). It seems to me he was never in our long term plans to begin with. Harrell's injury really gave him a break. Otherwise, I believe Jolly would've been sent packing to another team already.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts