Joe Whitt

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why people buy into these stories.

Imagine the following hypothetical conversation from two years ago:

McCarthy: I think it's time for a DC change.

Ball: Capers has $5 million guaranteed [or whatever the amount] left on his contract.

More conversation ensues.
Anyone know where we can coaches contract details?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They are state secrets. If the NFL told you they would have to kill you.

I'm almost under the impression there is no limit on how much NFL teams can pay their coaches and probably not a limit as to how many non players the team employs. Those decisions seem to fall under the same rules as a privately owned company.....hire and pay as you see fit.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm almost under the impression there is no limit on how much NFL teams can pay their coaches and probably not a limit as to how many non players the team employs. Those decisions seem to fall under the same rules as a privately owned company.....hire and pay as you see fit.
That is correct. Since the Packers are the one publicly owned company, one might have thought there would be pay disclosures in the annual report for top management as you would find for any other publicly owned company. That is evidently not the case:

http://shareholder.broadridge.com/pdf/gbp/green-bay-packers-2017-annual-report.pdf

Maybe there's a publicly disclosed addendum to the annual report with more detail, but I can't find it.

There are sites like the following, but I don't know where they get their data:

http://coacheshotseat.com/NFLCoachesSalaries.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That is correct. Since the Packers are the one publicly owned company, one might have thought there would be pay disclosures in the annual report for top management as you would find for any other publicly owned company. That is evidently not the case:

http://shareholder.broadridge.com/pdf/gbp/green-bay-packers-2017-annual-report.pdf

Maybe there's a publicly disclosed addendum to the annual report with more detail, but I can't find it.

Yup, As a publicly-owned franchise, the Packers are the only team in the National Football League required to release financial data.

If I had to guess, the Packers organization only discloses what is required by law. Which according to this, isn't much.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lab/media/2370/green-bay-packers.pdf

H

HardRightEdge

Doesn't the Rooney Rule only apply to HC and GM hirings?
According to this report, the Rooney rule applies "informally" to "some" coordinator positions.

"The new provision will apply to coordinator vacancies under existing coaching staffs. It won’t apply when a new coach is assembling a staff."

And teams with existing head coaches (like the Packers) are "required (but not officially required)", whatever that means, to interview minority candidates for coordinator jobs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-expands-rooney-rule-to-coordinator-openings/

I guess the league reckoned it doesn't do much good to require minority interviews for HC jobs if there's a small pool of minority coordinators to draw from.

So, the long and short of it is the Packers were "required" to interview minority candidates for the DC job, and reports had Moss, Perry and Whitt as interviewees. If the Packers were of a mind to get rid of one or the other, they would not have interviewed him for DC and he would not still be under contract.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They are state secrets. If the NFL told you they would have to kill you.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. It would surprise me if coordinators had long term huge contracts with big guarantees though. That seems out of the norm in the Packers organization.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, it seems like it's taking an awful long time to announce the defensive coaching staff. I suspect that they may be waiting for someone who is still coaching.

Is there any word on Perry? Did he go to the Texans?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Geez, it seems like it's taking an awful long time to announce the defensive coaching staff. I suspect that they may be waiting for someone who is still coaching.

Is there any word on Perry? Did he go to the Texans?

I've heard that he may actually come back. Maybe the delay is because McCarthy is letting them explore options and come back if they want to?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm just hoping its a matter of making the "formal announcement" of "Here is our new coaching staff" and everyone that has been "named" by the media is locked up in contracts already. I don't pay attention to how other teams are making the announcements of individual and multiple hirings, but just seems strange that the Packers are staying tight lipped on the new positions.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He converted Shields from WR to CB successfully and currently working with Herb Waters, I read. So

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they aren't giving Whitt the job based on what he has down with Herb Waters. ;)
We love converting positions for our picks, WR to CB. WR to RB. Safety to CB. And all hybrids in between. So probably they really rate Joe's abilities in this regard...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We love converting positions for our picks, WR to CB. WR to RB. Safety to CB. And all hybrids in between. So probably they really rate Joe's abilities in this regard...

Well Shields made the switch from WR to CB his last year in college, Joe obviously help him along further. But Waters hasn't played a snap that I am aware of and Monty switching from WR to RB is so far leaning towards a fail.

I would like to see the Packers go after guys because they were really good at the position that the Packers intend for them to play. I do understand though going after the great athletes in the 7th round and UDFA's.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What abilities? Sam Shields is the lone UDFA corner in 9 seasons that has come up under Whitt's tutelage and been worth more than a plugged nickel.

I don't expect many UDFA's to develop into quality players, but the idea that Whitt has been some sort of guru in turning UDFAs of any position into quality corners seems pretty silly to me.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What abilities? Sam Shields is the lone UDFA corner in 9 seasons that has come up under Whitt's tutelage and been worth more than a plugged nickel.

I don't expect many UDFA's to develop into quality players, but the idea that Whitt has been some sort of guru in turning UDFAs of any position into quality corners seems pretty silly to me.
Tramon Williams.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon Williams.

Not saying that Whitt didn't help further his career, but Tramon Williams was in his 4th NFL season by the time Whitt became the corners coach for the Packers. Pretty sure he had already made it by then.

Completely different situation than Shields. Whitt had absolutely nothing to do with the first 3 years of Tramon's career.

Members online

Latest posts