Joe Whitt

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
From 2009 on, this is a list of the Packer CB's that Whitt worked with. Having a hard time finding anyone but Shields, Williams and Hayward that jumps out at me. Al Harris of course, but I doubt Whitt influenced him much at that point.
  1. Josh Bell
  2. Will Blackmon
  3. Jarrett Bush
  4. Trevor Ford
  5. Al Harris
  6. Brandon Underwood
  7. Tramon Williams
  8. Josh gordy
  9. Pat Lee
  10. Sam Shields
  11. Davon House
  12. Casey Hayward
  13. Antonio Dennard
  14. Ottis Merril
  15. James Nixon
  16. Jamal Rolle
  17. Tay Glover-Wright
  18. Demitri Goodson
  19. Kyle Sebatic
  20. Ryan White
  21. Bernard Blake
  22. Robertson Daniel
  23. Demetrius Randall
  24. Ladarius Gunter
  25. Quinten Rollins
  26. Keith Baxter
  27. Makinton Dorleant
  28. Warren Gatewood
  29. Josh Hawkins
  30. Randall Jette
  31. Herb Waters
  32. Donatello Brown
  33. Daquan Holmes
  34. Kevin King
  35. Raysean Pringle

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From 2009 on, this is a list of the Packer CB's that Whitt worked with. Having a hard time finding anyone but Shields, Williams and Hayward that jumps out at me. Al Harris of course, but I doubt Whitt influenced him much at that point.
  1. Josh Bell
  2. Will Blackmon
  3. Jarrett Bush
  4. Trevor Ford
  5. Al Harris
  6. Brandon Underwood
  7. Tramon Williams
  8. Josh gordy
  9. Pat Lee
  10. Sam Shields
  11. Davon House
  12. Casey Hayward
  13. Antonio Dennard
  14. Ottis Merril
  15. James Nixon
  16. Jamal Rolle
  17. Tay Glover-Wright
  18. Demitri Goodson
  19. Kyle Sebatic
  20. Ryan White
  21. Bernard Blake
  22. Robertson Daniel
  23. Demetrius Randall
  24. Ladarius Gunter
  25. Quinten Rollins
  26. Keith Baxter
  27. Makinton Dorleant
  28. Warren Gatewood
  29. Josh Hawkins
  30. Randall Jette
  31. Herb Waters
  32. Donatello Brown
  33. Daquan Holmes
  34. Kevin King
  35. Raysean Pringle

That's a pretty disappointing list no matter who the coach is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's a pretty disappointing list no matter who the coach is.

I agree.....but then you look at the WR list and it starts looking a bit similar. Most of the guys on that CB list are late round picks or UDFA. TT invested a lot into the secondary with Randall, Rollins, King and Heyward but otherwise he has been hoping to hit paydirt with some cheap investments.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Tramon Williams Sam Shields, and a guy by the name of Charles Woodson, just how much draft stock should they have been putting into DBs?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With Tramon Williams Sam Shields, and a guy by the name of Charles Woodson, just how much draft stock should they have been putting into DBs?

If you joined in late, we were looking at what Joe Whitt has done while coaching CB's. I doubt even Whitt would take credit for Woodson. Williams and Shields were already talked about.

Not sure what your point is?

Like I said above, not much different than the WR position when you have Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Cobb

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, it appeared someone said the list of DBs since 2009 was pretty disappointing, and you agreed. Just pointing out who our starting line up was for much of that and asked how much more draft stock they should have Invested?

D

Deleted member 6794

If you joined in late, we were looking at what Joe Whitt has done while coaching CB's. I doubt even Whitt would take credit for Woodson. Williams and Shields were already talked about.

Taking a look at the list it's disappointing that a highly regarded coach like Whitt only deserves credit for a single player significantly exceeding expectations.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Taking a look at the list it's disappointing that a highly regarded coach like Whitt only deserves credit for a single player significantly exceeding expectations.
Well, I’d say that Hayward and Hyde have now exceeded their draft position expectations as well, all be it with different teams. Imo, they didn’t suddenly learn how to play well the minute they left Green Bay.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I’d say that Hayward and Hyde have now exceeded their draft position expectations as well, all be it with different teams. Imo, they didn’t suddenly learn how to play well the minute they left Green Bay.
and they both played well in GB. Hyde didn't play well enough to be a starter at DB, he's limited in speed. Hayward played well, but was injured a lot and we seemingly had 3 guys that made him expendable. I guess I don't need to get into the specifics, but they played well here too. it wasn't an accident. and guys like Hayward and Woodson have all vouched for Whitt. Woodson wasn't exactly shy about his time in GB. He's a class act all the way around, but he let his grievances be known without being a blowhard about it. I don't think he'd come out in favor of Whitt being the man at DC if he didn't think he was a heck of a coach with good ideas. Especially considering Woodson wasn't thrilled with our defensive gameplans while he was here.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and they both played well in GB. Hyde didn't play well enough to be a starter at DB, he's limited in speed. Hayward played well, but was injured a lot and we seemingly had 3 guys that made him expendable. I guess I don't need to get into the specifics, but they played well here too. it wasn't an accident. and guys like Hayward and Woodson have all vouched for Whitt. Woodson wasn't exactly shy about his time in GB. He's a class act all the way around, but he let his grievances be known without being a blowhard about it. I don't think he'd come out in favor of Whitt being the man at DC if he didn't think he was a heck of a coach with good ideas. Especially considering Woodson wasn't thrilled with our defensive gameplans while he was here.

So you think Capers has made Whitt look bad, in essence?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think Capers has made Whitt look bad, in essence?
I would say there was a fundamental breakdown in how they wanted to play defense and how they actually did. They could play well, they couldn't play well consistently. for much of the year if we only had to count the first 2 downs we'd be the top defense in the league at times it seemed :) But they could never play 3-4 downs it seemed. Broken coverages were a big part of that. What was Whitt's job and how much of that responsibility was his? How much of it was just a poor design from the start and asking guys to do things they couldn't?

I don't know, i just watch. I think lots has been a part of making this defense look bad. everything from injuries to poor designs at times.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not sure what your point is?

Like I said above, not much different than the WR position when you have Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Cobb

I don't remember if it was a podcast or a radio spot but I remember Woodson at some point naming Whitt as a top 3 coach he's ever had. That's overall not just DB coaches.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't remember if it was a podcast or a radio spot but I remember Woodson at some point naming Whitt as a top 3 coach he's ever had. That's overall not just DB coaches.
I read something along those lines too and have read similar comments about Capers from players and other coaches. I guess the bottom line for me, how good are the players that a coach coaches, not how popular the coach himself is or how great he is perceived to be.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, I’d say that Hayward and Hyde have now exceeded their draft position expectations as well, all be it with different teams.

Whitt doesn't deserve any credit for Hayward and Hyde excelling with other teams though.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Hayward and Hyde's current success....worth noting that according to Pro Football Reference, Casey Hayward was tied for second in the league this year with 22 passes defended (along w/his 4 interceptions); among safeties, Hyde at SS was second only to FS Kevin Byard with 13 passes defended (5 interceptions).

GB's leader? Randall was 63rd in the league with 9 PD.

Argue scheme vs. development, I dunno....but that is a damning indictment on the coaching as opposed to talent-acquisition side of things. Those are humiliating numbers for Capers, Whitt, whoever. I feel very confident that Randall and Clinton-Dix have the talent to be where Hayward and Hyde are on that list.

D

Deleted member 6794

Argue scheme vs. development, I dunno....but that is a damning indictment on the coaching as opposed to talent-acquisition side of things. Those are humiliating numbers for Capers, Whitt, whoever. I feel very confident that Randall and Clinton-Dix have the talent to be where Hayward and Hyde are on that list.

I guess we will find out if the Packers really have more talent on the defensive side of the ball than their performance over the past years would indicate during the 2018 season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts