1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Philbin's impact on Packers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Oct 8, 2014.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
  2. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    It's rare for players (like Jordy does here) to admit that the team has taken a minor step back after losing a coach.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. red4tribe

red4tribe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +437
    Can he come back as our OC if the Dolphins crash and burn and he gets fired?

4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,799
    His current record in his 3rd year with the Dolphins is 17-19.
    I think it will be 17-20 on Monday.

5. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,799
    I wonder if he'd ever want to come back after the tragedy he had here?
    Ice doesn't form in Florida to the extent it does in Wisconsin.

6. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +206
    And another piece of the puzzle falls into place...Philbin has been missed.

7. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +517
    I know it's the ambition of almost every coach to have a head job in the NFL but sometimes guys need to realize when they are well and better off as an assistant or coordinator. Some can make the jump but plenty, who have been crackerjack assistants, have had bitter and unsuccessful experiences. I think Philbin will be one of those.

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I would have to know him personally to think he was/will be bitter when it's all said and done. I think shy of knowing him pretty well on a personal level it would be a big leap to say that by looking from the outside in

9. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    It's highly unusual for an assistant to become a head coach and then go back to his former team as an assistant. I'm not saying that it won't happen, but history is not on the side of it happening.

Most likely he will take some time off to reflect (if he get's fired) and then resurface with another team in an offensive coordinator role similar to what he did for the Packers.

10. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +562
    It has happened though, see Josh McDaniels in New England.

11. Twiddlemylobes

Twiddlemylobes Fat Tuesday Orleans

Ratings:
    +516
    Is <= to zero relevant?

12. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I don't think McCarthy would fire or demote Tom Clements to bring in Philbin as OC. My guess is Clements would have to be hired away at the same time Philbin became available for him to return to Green Bay. Even then, Philbin and his family may not want to return to Green Bay for obvious reasons.

One of the reasons Philbin has struggled in Miami may be he violated one of Ron Wolf's sayings: "Never hire a friend". It's not unusual for new HCs to hire people he formerly worked with but it looks like Philbin went overboard. McGinn talks about it in the "McGinn's View" of his analysis of the Dolphins:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-next-opponent-dolphins-b99366180z1-278476541.html

BTW lambeaulambo, if you just figured out the loss of Philbin has had an impact, the loss of John Schneider, John Dorsey, Reggie McKenzie, and Shaun Herock have impacted the player personnel staff.

13. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    Holmgren was losing a lot of his assistants as well. It's the double-edged sword of success in pro sports. Everyone wants to hire your assistants and overpay your star athletes. It's really hard to just refill the gun barrel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +517
    I didn't say Philbin would be personally bitter. I was rather referring rhetorically to the experience of a top flight assistant (or college ) coach who doesn't translate into a successful NFL head coach.