Joe Philbin's impact on Packers

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's rare for players (like Jordy does here) to admit that the team has taken a minor step back after losing a coach.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His current record in his 3rd year with the Dolphins is 17-19.
I think it will be 17-20 on Monday.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can he come back as our OC if the Dolphins crash and burn and he gets fired?
I wonder if he'd ever want to come back after the tragedy he had here?
Ice doesn't form in Florida to the extent it does in Wisconsin.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's the ambition of almost every coach to have a head job in the NFL but sometimes guys need to realize when they are well and better off as an assistant or coordinator. Some can make the jump but plenty, who have been crackerjack assistants, have had bitter and unsuccessful experiences. I think Philbin will be one of those.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's the ambition of almost every coach to have a head job in the NFL but sometimes guys need to realize when they are well and better off as an assistant or coordinator. Some can make the jump but plenty, who have been crackerjack assistants, have had bitter and unsuccessful experiences. I think Philbin will be one of those.

I would have to know him personally to think he was/will be bitter when it's all said and done. I think shy of knowing him pretty well on a personal level it would be a big leap to say that by looking from the outside in

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's highly unusual for an assistant to become a head coach and then go back to his former team as an assistant. I'm not saying that it won't happen, but history is not on the side of it happening.

Most likely he will take some time off to reflect (if he get's fired) and then resurface with another team in an offensive coordinator role similar to what he did for the Packers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think McCarthy would fire or demote Tom Clements to bring in Philbin as OC. My guess is Clements would have to be hired away at the same time Philbin became available for him to return to Green Bay. Even then, Philbin and his family may not want to return to Green Bay for obvious reasons.

One of the reasons Philbin has struggled in Miami may be he violated one of Ron Wolf's sayings: "Never hire a friend". It's not unusual for new HCs to hire people he formerly worked with but it looks like Philbin went overboard. McGinn talks about it in the "McGinn's View" of his analysis of the Dolphins:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-next-opponent-dolphins-b99366180z1-278476541.html

BTW lambeaulambo, if you just figured out the loss of Philbin has had an impact, the loss of John Schneider, John Dorsey, Reggie McKenzie, and Shaun Herock have impacted the player personnel staff.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren was losing a lot of his assistants as well. It's the double-edged sword of success in pro sports. Everyone wants to hire your assistants and overpay your star athletes. It's really hard to just refill the gun barrel.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to know him personally to think he was/will be bitter when it's all said and done. I think shy of knowing him pretty well on a personal level it would be a big leap to say that by looking from the outside in

I didn't say Philbin would be personally bitter. I was rather referring rhetorically to the experience of a top flight assistant (or college ) coach who doesn't translate into a successful NFL head coach.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts