1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Jimmy Graham

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by thequick12, Jul 7, 2014.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,083
    I seriously question your ranking of pass catchers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,440
    He ranked the receivers according to the number of receptions in the regular season in 2013. Obviously not the best way to do it.

3. thequick12

thequick12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34

4. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,400
    That's what YOU are saying his peers are. Obviously he thinks that his peers are elite WR's, and he does the same work as them, so why shouldn't he? And that's the whole point of contention.

He DID do that. He played out the last year of his contract for a low salary with no complaints. He WAS supposed to be a free agent this year. Then the Saints tagged him and there's nothing he could do about that.

And they could continue to do so for 3 years, all the while paying him less than WR money, all through the prime of his career.

• Like Like x 1
  5. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,400
    You took one stat (receptions) and used that as your basis for calling him the 13th best pass catcher. To call that argument "flawed" would be beyond generous.

By that line of logic:

- Harry Douglas and Kendall Wright are better pass catchers than Calvin Johnson (17th best in the NFL)
    - Julian Edelman is better than AJ Green, Dez Bryant, and Alshon Jeffrey
    - Pierre Garcon should be the NFL's highest paid wideout
    - Graham can argue to be paid more than Calvin Johnson ($18.8M per year) since he is a better "pass catcher".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Where are you getting your info? Try this: http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/wide-receiver/

• Old Old x 1
  7. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    What are you meaning by that? You can't tag a player for 3 years. He will be a FA well before that. Where do you get your info at ?

• Old Old x 1
  8. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,400
    First of all, yes you can tag a player for 3 years.

Second of all, I have no idea what you are asking me when you asking what I am "meaning by that." I mean Graham was going to be an unrestricted free agent this season. Had the Saints not applied the franchise tag to him, he would be a FA.

9. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Have you read the stipulations behind that thou? It does not happen because of the amount the tags jump each time. 120% , 144% ...... teams don't want that nor the drama that surrounds that. So, when was the last time some player got tagged like that? I cant remember......

And you are correct, you can tag 3 times, I didn't know that because I have never heard of it happening and had to actually look that up.....but couldnt find were a player(s) had that happen to them.

Either way: I have my point of view, you have yours. You think yours is correct, I think mine is correct. Just call it a draw man.

• Old Old x 1
  10. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,440
    The Saints can tag him for three years, but they wouldn´t be able to pay him less than WR money when doing it for the third time.

While tagging him would cost them $8.4 million in 2015 (120% of his 2014 salary) they would have to tag him at the average of the five largest salaries for players at the position with the highest such average in 2016 (that of course being the QB position with the number being at $16.912 million for 2014).

11. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    That's fine that you do. All I did was look at who caught the most passes. How that's not relevant to a discussion about catching passes; well yeah not really sure, but I think it's sufficient to say that you guys are trying to read way too far between the lines.

PS: at catching passes Harry Douglass and Kendall Wright were better than CJ last year.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  12. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    Well he can't. He's a TE not WR as was ruled. That last one is just silly and ignored facts. You missed the very key part about me just talking about last year and just about catching passes. Was CJ's $18.8M contract established from his work last year being the 17th best pass catcher? Probably not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    BTW, just to add some more context and food for thought. http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=WR has Antonio Brown as the 13th highest paid WR @ $8,392,000 per year. Probably a better use of the information about his pass catching rating last year and drawing parallels between that and a prospective contract.

Also in my previous post about Graham's receiving stats I was talking explicitly about his ability to catch passes since he wanted to be paid with that as high consideration. I'm very aware that there is more to being a great WR than just catching passes; no **** CPT Obvious.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,440
    It is pointless to only take the total number of receptions into consideration when ranking WRs. Wright and Douglas mostly play in the slot where they catch way shorter passes (Wright 11.5 yards per reception, Douglas 12.6) while Johnson mostly plays outside and is a deep threat (17.8). In addition Megatron had 12 TD receptions while Douglas and Wright both had 2.

Even if they had more receptions than CJ calling them better at catching passes is ridiculous.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    We'll we're not grading WR's. We're talking about a TE that was adamant about being a "pass catcher" and wanting to be paid as such.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receptions

Sort the list however you want. Graham is in the 10-20 range for most of the significant stats and never higher than tied for 9th (receptions over 20 yards), except TD's where he was #1 last year. But we can just use your logic to marginalise that by saying he's a TE and an easy/ constant red zone target so of course he has a high TD total.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,440
    I don't care about what Graham will earn over his next contract as it won't be with the Packers.

I just wanted to point out that mentioning Douglas and Wright being better pass catchers than Megatron is insane.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    Well then read the entire post including the quoted stuff so you understand the context of the statement. Sorry you thought I was ranking anyone, just said they were better at one aspect. And just to put a further stamp on the statement I'll throw this out too:
    CJ had a 53% catch ratio last year (rec/targets)
    Douglas had a 64% catch ratio last year (rec/targets)
    Wright had a 67% catch ratio last year (rec/targets)

Again, no one is ranking them off of this alone; just saying that they were better at this aspect. But yeah I'm just an insane retard. :tup:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,440
    Just to let everybody know, the Saints and Graham have agreed to terms on a new contract.

Edit: Deal is for 4 years, $40 million with $20-21 million guaranteed.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. cara murphy

cara murphy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Jimmy Graham has renewed the contract as a tight end with Saints.:tdown::tdown:

20. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    Move along folks; nothing to see here. Will resurrect in 4 years time. :roflmao:

21. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,400
    I'm sure it also wasn't established solely from the amount of receptions he made prior to his contract.

22. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,031
    With the talk about a $10M or $10M+ deal for him, it’s interesting that Graham received $40M over 4 years. $21M of it is guaranteed and he receives the guaranteed money during the first two years of the contract. That according to the link in NorthWestCheeseHead post #63, is slightly less than, but similar to Brandon Marshall’s deal signed this year. Marshall is listed as the 7th highest paid WR. Marshall’s four year deal total was slightly less ($700K) but his guarantee is $1.3M more. And as rotoworld writes, Graham’s “camp had no leverage in this deal because they were handcuffed by the franchise tag”.

BTW, Graham’s raise from last year to this ($1.3M to $13M) is a 1,000% raise and his raise from his rookie deal on an average annual basis ($2.445M for 4 years) of $611,250 to $10M per year average is a 1,636% increase, if my math is correct. And he very likely would have received even more as a UFA.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +375
    go read everything else I've written in the thread. Already replied to this and feel no need to reiterate something you can view on this very same page.