Jets trade... three second's?!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm shocked at the value teams put on young unproven qbs. This is Herschel walkeresque. 3 , 2nd round picks?!?! To move up three spots in the first round.... and not to number 1 overall..... but to #3......?

#3?

How valuable is a player like #12? Really?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm shocked at the value teams put on young unproven qbs. This is Herschel walkeresque. 3 , 2nd round picks?!?! To move up three spots in the first round.... and not to number 1 overall..... but to #3......?

#3?

more valuable than another team has draft capital.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
more valuable than another team has draft capital.
I'm not in any way, saying we should consider Rodgers trade value.... at all.
Just trying to put his value into perspective. With his contract being in the works right now...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess you would have to ask yourself; "How valuable are the picks you would get in exchange for Rodgers?" As we all know, draft picks are never a sure thing. You would be trading the NFL's best player for a bunch of unknowns and pretty much guaranteeing the Packers at least a few years of mediocrity.

Now if the Packers were in complete rebuild mode, it might make more sense. I get the sense some people either think they are in rebuild mode or should be, but IMO they aren't that far off from contending for a Super Bowl with Rodgers behind center, so why not just go after the few pieces you need to do that, instead of talking about trading away the guy who is the most important piece to take you there?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you guys are saying is if Cleveland came to you and offered both 1st rd picks this year, and their 1st and 2nd rd picks the next 2 yrs for Rodgers...is that you’d decline?

H

HardRightEdge

Moving from #6 to #3 is 600 points.

#37, #49 and lets say the #37 next year: one #37 is 520 points alone.

Evidently, the Jets have in mind a particular player or 3 players head and shoulders above the rest of the board.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft pick value chart is a rough guideline, you'll see plenty of trades that won't follow that.

That said, looks like the Jets management are trying to keep their jobs by getting a QB. I can't see someone trading up that high to get an RB (Barkley).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So what you guys are saying is if Cleveland came to you and offered both 1st rd picks this year, and their 1st and 2nd rd picks the next 2 yrs for Rodgers...is that you’d decline?

Honestly I wouldn’t either. I’m a seeing is believing type of guy. I’ve seen greatness from Rodgers year after year. I’ve never seen these potential draft picks play a down in the NFL. Rodgers is still in his prime and has at least 6 good years in him....at least.

I am confused......sounds like you are saying you would make the trade with Cleveland by saying you wouldn't decline, but in your next post you give all the reasons why you would decline such a trade?

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd do that deal. Draft a qb at #14 this year, plus get the 1st and 4th picks in the first round and a 1 and 2 next year? Hell let's do it just for the excitement factor. Come on guys, let's start a petition.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd do that deal. Draft a qb at #14 this year, plus get the 1st and 4th picks in the first round and a 1 and 2 next year? Hell let's do it just for the excitement factor. Come on guys, let's start a petition.

OK.....so you begin 2018 with Saquon Barkley, Chubb and Rudolph, now what? Remember, you are having to use 1 of those three picks to replace Rodgers, that pick could otherwise have been used on someone else to improve the team.

Also, keep in mind that the #1 and #4 pick are going to cost you about $14M/year in salary.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes you just need to commit. Spending late firsts or second round picks on QBs just isn't working (except for us). You either draft a QB high and give him the coaching and every chance to succeed, or just hope to get lucky by drafting a QB later who works out.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How many teams make the playoffs in a given year with poor QB play? 1 or 2? And those are almost always bounced in the first round. If you want to be a consistent contender in the NFL, you need to have good play at QB. To find good play at QB, you have to pick very high in the draft or be exceptionally lucky. That’s why these teams will happily pay three extra 2nd round picks to make sure they can take their shot. It’s not complicated.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Valuable enough for a 24th pick. Or #1 pick had the 49ers chosen wisely.

I'm shocked at the value teams put on young unproven qbs.

Every QB is unproven till they mature. If any of those turn out to be a franchise level QB, the trade would look like a cake.

It's more of a strategy. They could have given up their 1st round pick and traded for Nick Foles who imo will be a stable QB for them for next 5 years at least. Bridgewater and Foles would be a nice pair of QBs to have, with both having high potential for Trade down the line too.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am confused......sounds like you are saying you would make the trade with Cleveland by saying you wouldn't decline, but in your next post you give all the reasons why you would decline such a trade?

I not once said I’d do that trade. I simply just through out the question...that is it.

H

HardRightEdge

The draft pick value chart is a rough guideline, you'll see plenty of trades that won't follow that.

That said, looks like the Jets management are trying to keep their jobs by getting a QB. I can't see someone trading up that high to get an RB (Barkley).
Actually, there have not been many in recent years that strayed significantly from the chart. But when you don't have a QB, desperate times may call for desperate measures.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The prices for a trade up are always way higher when potential franchise QB’s are involved. When that isn’t a factor, the prices tank.

In 2013, the Dolphins also traded up to #3 and all they paid was #12 and #42. That’s because there were no franchise QB prospects in play. The move was for Dion Jordan.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK.....so you begin 2018 with Saquon Barkley, Chubb and Rudolph, now what? Remember, you are having to use 1 of those three picks to replace Rodgers, that pick could otherwise have been used on someone else to improve the team.

Also, keep in mind that the #1 and #4 pick are going to cost you about $14M/year in salary.
Actually, I think we could get more in draft picks. 1,2,3 this year, 1,2,4 next year. Then you draft a whole bunch of good young talent the next two years, and win the superbowl in 2020 with the quarterback you draft this year at 14 or even 4 if you really like someone.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you would have to ask yourself; "How valuable are the picks you would get in exchange for Rodgers?" As we all know, draft picks are never a sure thing. You would be trading the NFL's best player for a bunch of unknowns and pretty much guaranteeing the Packers at least a few years of mediocrity.

Now if the Packers were in complete rebuild mode, it might make more sense. I get the sense some people either think they are in rebuild mode or should be, but IMO they aren't that far off from contending for a Super Bowl with Rodgers behind center, so why not just go after the few pieces you need to do that, instead of talking about trading away the guy who is the most important piece to take you there?
All I'm trying to say. Is if a potential franchise qb is worth 3 second round picks and a #6. With the potential he could be a terrible bust on one side, or a future hall of famer on the other.....

If draft picks and salary cap are a franchises' currency. And the 3rd best rookie qb is worth three 2nds and the #6 pick. Then what the heck is #12 salary.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All I'm trying to say. Is if a potential franchise qb is worth 3 second round picks and a #6. With the potential he could be a terrible bust on one side, or a future hall of famer on the other.....

If draft picks and salary cap are a franchises' currency. And the 3rd best rookie qb is worth three 2nds and the #6 pick. Then what the heck is #12 salary.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts