Jerry Kramer finally Enters the Hall!

D

Deleted member 6794

It was an outrage that this man had to wait this long. Terrell Davis got in before him...ugh. If Davis got in, then Sterling Sharpe deserves a hell of a look.

I understand Davis only played four full seasons in the NFL but taking a look at his numbers he ranks third in rushing yards (behind only Eric ****erson and Earl Campbell) and has the most rushing touchdowns all-time during the first four career years in the league.

In addition his playoff numbers are absolutely insane, having averaged 142.5 rushing yards per game, 5.59 yards per attempt, scoring 12 touchdowns in only eight games and rushing for more than 100 yards in seven out of eight games while finishing his first one with 91 yards on 14 carries in his only playoff loss.

H

HardRightEdge

I read Instant Replay when I was about 12 years old. I still have vivid memories of reading it. Outstanding book.

If you haven't read it and have any interest in the Lombardi Packers--you should.
His publication of "Instant Replay" was a significant contributing factor in his being kept out of the Hall. Tame by today's standards, or even in comparison to controversial books of the 1970's such as "North Dallas Forty" or "The David Kopay Story", that book was resented by many football insiders for giving the public a peek into the locker room. A lot of old timers never got over it. Perhaps enough old timers on the nominating and selection committees finally died off clearing the way for Kramer.

For a number of years a common reason cited for Kramer's omission was that there were so many Packers from the Lombardi era already in the Hall. Then Jordon was honored in 1995 and Robinson in 2013, so that argument ended up not holding any water. I believe had Kramer not written that book he would have been in the Hall a long time ago.

In the end, the honor is justified and it's a good thing they got around to it while Kramer is still alive to enjoy it.

H

HardRightEdge

I understand Davis only played four full seasons in the NFL but taking a look at his numbers he ranks third in rushing yards (behind only Eric ****erson and Earl Campbell) and has the most rushing touchdowns all-time during the first four career years in the league.

In addition his playoff numbers are absolutely insane, having averaged 142.5 rushing yards per game, 5.59 yards per attempt, scoring 12 touchdowns in only eight games and rushing for more than 100 yards in seven out of eight games while finishing his first one with 91 yards on 14 carries in his only playoff loss.
2-time NFL Offensive Player of the Year, NFL MVP, Super Bowl MVP, 152 yards from scrimmage in his other Super Bowl apperance. Most importantly, 2 rings with big performances in both games.

Sharpe: 3-time All Pro, 5-time Pro Bowler. Those are solid credentials for the Hall. But he had only 2 playoff game appearances and never made it to the big one. Right or wrong, Sharpe does not have the mythology quotient of guys like Sayers or Namath or even Davis who shone brightly but briefly. Without that, the voters look for the big career numbers.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it begs the question. Is Sterling worthy of a look. Considering the injury quotient, I think so. See Bo Jackson.

D

Deleted member 6794

point made. Both of these guys are worthy in todays media first universe. lol

There might be a case to be made for Sharpe to make it to the HOF as he ranks sixth all-time in receptions, 11th in receiving yards and tied for 12th in touchdowns among receivers during their first seven seasons in the league. In addition he led the league in receptions three times, in receiving touchdowns twice and yards once.

In my opinion he still doesn't have the credentials necessary to be inducted in Canton as his career was cut short by an injury.

There's absolutely no reason to even think about considering Jackson for the HOF.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I missed his induction.:mad: Caught it on YouTube BUT STILL. Wife made me go out to dinner with her... WTH? Does she think we're still newlyweds? She could have just made me a sandwich, ya know? ;)

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I missed his induction.:mad: Caught it on YouTube BUT STILL. Wife made me go out to dinner with her... WTH? Does she think we're still newlyweds? She could have just made me a sandwich, ya know? ;)

What are you doing married to a woman who doesn't understand that it's Packers, God then family?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
She figgers that only applies to the four hours I demand on Sundays, sometimes Thursday and/or Monday. ...she does recognize all plans are soft once camp opens. :)

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Met Jerry Kramer at the U of I homecoming parade today. He was the Grand Marshall. Yeah it was just him and me 1x1 had a nice chat... I made him tear up with my story... young boy playing guard on his grade school team back in Wisconsin in the 60's with him as my hero. Got him to sign my “daily driver” Packer hat (about 8 years old) so I’ll have to sideline that for special occasions now! He signed and was about to give it back to me but then he said “wait we have something else to add” and he put “H.O.F. 2018” What a thrill!!

Members online

Latest posts