1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Jerry Kramer, Dave Robinson, Bart Starr, and the HOF

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Aug 27, 2012.

1. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,476
    I can't say I read it that way, Thx.

King's first point seems to be that since he'd been passed over time and time again by contemporaries and senior committee members, then it's time to move on and not taint Robinson's opportunity with a Kramer/Robinson debate. The daughter seems to agree in wanting to focus just on Robinson in the current process. Seems reasonable to me.

The second point is actually a question...why did the same group of guys who named him to the 50 year team--and a sting of All Pro selections for that matter which I think is much more important than the 50 year team--keep him out of the Hall? "Curious" indeed.

There's no contradiction in believing the first point while wondering about the second. It's a matter of having an opinion based on what's known while acknowledging what is unknown.

As a PS, I think it worth nothing that the 50 year team was voted the year after Kramer retired. These kinds of votes are always biased toward the players of most recent memory. However, the All Pro selections cannot be denied.

2. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Maybe I should re-read Instant Reply. I read it shortly after it came out and don't remember anything that would make me dislike Kramer, but it sure made me like the Packers even more. He should be in the HOF, pure and simple, and he'll get there eventually. BTW, don't forget Lou The Toe, who is in the HOF primarily due to his kicking.

3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,097
    Not entirely true... Google Jim Tyrer.

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,097
    It's nice to be able to have someone who understood the topic of the thread. Some posters tried to spin it like Bart not being in favor of Jerry is old news, but to me and it seems to you, it was not. It would be nice to know where that comes from and it might shed more light on the situation. Might be lost to time though.

As far as Mr. King goes, I have known him for 4-5 years now and have found him to be fairly nice but have a slight ego. Still he has gone out of his way to do a favor a time or two with nothing in return. I think he enjoys his job and likes to be known.

I also think its a possibility that Jerry just slipped Mr. Starr's mind at the time of the interview.

5. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,105
    You began the OP by writing: “Peter king had an interesting part in MMQB today that included an interview with Bart Starr and some opinion on the HOF. Here is the section I am talking about. What do you guys make of it?” You then quoted part of King’s MMQB. How was – for that matter how can – “What do you guys make of it?” be misunderstood? There really isn’t a “wrong answer” to that kind of open question, is there? Then after a few posts in spite of the fact you didn’t offer what you made of it, you figuratively ‘banged your head against wall’ apparently because no one read your mind.

As far as it being “old news” if you were directing that at me (and not regarding a thread started previously) all I can tell you is years ago after a HOF seniors selection Starr was interviewed on WTMJ. That wasn’t the only subject (I believe he was touting Rawhide Boys Ranch charity event) the host mentioned Kramer being passed over again and Starr talked about Skoronski (and perhaps Robinson) but not Kramer. That struck me as odd.

6. BOB KAMINSKI

BOB KAMINSKI Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    All of this settles in on locker room quotes,phone conversations,Lombardi players indifferences,lost love of some team mates for each other over the years. May be some jealousy over the years because of JK'S book writings and locker room tapings by JK that some of the "LOMBARDI PLAYERS" didn't appreciate him in doing them. But you know what? This sells news paper, books and lots of PC conversation and interest.
    Well I'm a big "LOMBARDI FAN" and I was lucky to see the last touchdown scored for Coach Lombardi at Lambeau Field. It was the touchdown that BART STARR scored for the Packers to win the "ICE BOWL GAME" because of a "GREAT TEAM EFFORT" and "GOOD COACHING".
    I'm waiting for the 50th anniversary of the ICE BOWL GAME Dec. 31-2017. WHY? Because I was at the game and hope to see what sports magazines and news papers have to say about the "LOMBARDI LEGENDS" and the "ICE BOWL GAME".
    Please remember that without Lombardi coming to coach the PACKERS LEGENDS the playing of the ICE BOWL GAME and a GREAT TEAM EFFORT, there would have been "NO" book writings,locker room tapings etc.
    Thanks to the Packer Legend of Coaches,Legend of Players and Legend of Fans from the 60's, the years of the Packers Legends. Oh how great they all were and how lucky I was to be part of it all.
    My proof is at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton,OH. It's a player bench I left Lambeau Field with at the end of the game. It was presented to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Sept. 21-1975 in memory of a HELP FIGHT CANCER RUN from Canton, OH. to Two Rivers,WI. at Walsh Field the site of the Vince Lombardi Touch Football Charity Tournament 1971-1988.
    See you all at the 50th ANNIVERSARY OF THE ICE BOWL GAME.
    "LOMBARDI'S LAST at LAMBEAU"
    Lets let by gones be by gones and let the LEGENDS learn to for give each other if there is any forgiving to be done.

7. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +484
    YES, and have Kramer and Robby both in Canton by then.

8. G0PackG0

G0PackG0 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    He wasn't judged by his play he was judged by losers that didn't like his book.

9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,097
    Are you saying Bart Starr is a loser?

• Like Like x 1